Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Where is the Q firmware update for the K-adapter?

Where is the Q firmware update for the K-adapter?

--- This Pentax Q-mount adapter allows you to use regular K-mount lenses on the Pentax Q and Q10
(the Q requires a firmware update to use the adapter). ---

The latest update I've seen is 1.01, which was out there a long time ago.
Maybe this firmware at last takes care of the "no SR-syndrome" with adapted lenses...
You can not download newer than 1.01 at Pentax site, though...

Anybody know anything about this?

Last edited by Erich_H; 11-09-2012 at 06:05 AM.
10-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adapter hasn't been released yet. In fact, unlike the Q10 and K-5 II's, no release date has been mentioned and I can't find any retailers taking pre-orders for it, but I suspect it will be soon. No need to release a firmware if no one has the hardware...
10-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The adapter hasn't been released yet. In fact, unlike the Q10 and K-5 II's, no release date has been mentioned and I can't find any retailers taking pre-orders for it, but I suspect it will be soon. No need to release a firmware if no one ha s the hardware...
So, I'll just keep on waiting (shaking free-hand) then...

10-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
So, I'll just keep on waiting (shaking free-hand) then..
I've actually tried the adapter (and adapted-lens SR) out, so I know it will be worth it, but no one from Pentax Canada knew when it would be available or even how to pre-order it. Of course, an adapter isn't a "mainstream" product, but I've pre-ordered a Q10 and will really need this adapter for what I'm interested in.

10-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
I've actually tried the adapter (and adapted-lens SR) out, so I know it will be worth it, but no one from Pentax Canada knew when it would be available or even how to pre-order it. Of course, an adapter isn't a "mainstream" product, but I've pre-ordered a Q10 and will really need this adapter for what I'm interested in.
I just checked that out - NICE! - but what I do not understand yet is if adapted-lens SR with this adapter is a function of the adapter, combined hard&firm, or if it is only firmware - then SR will also work with my cheapo chinese adapters (K, M42, C).
Probably all the electrical contacts on the rear of the adapter is only used for the shutter in this config...

10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
Probably all the electrical contacts on the rear of the adapter is only used for the shutter in this config...
The contacts on the adapter are definitely for the shutter, but (of course) they also tell the body the genuine Pentax adapter is there (in order to use that shutter). This leaves the option for Pentax to disable SR focal length input unless their own adapter is present. Not exactly a friendly way to do things (since there so many adaptable lensmounts out there, not just K), but that's a business decision... which will tell us just what Pentax, under Ricoh, thinks of "extending" the Q system.

I still don't have any guesses since I didn't have a generic adapter on hand, and given that the firmware in that Q10 was also pre-production, there may be changes yet to come. We shall see...
10-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Panoguy - that clarifies the fog for me. So Pentax will either be nice to us, and let generic adapters play, with a firmware-only update for the Q, or we'll have to wait for chipped generic adapters from China to use our already paid-for SR (we could also of course pay the Pentax-price for the original, when it is possible to buy it).

Last of all - I understand now that I started this thread in the wrong place in the tree - it should have been in the "Pentax Q"-branch...it's not easy being a newbie...

thanks / Erik

10-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The adapter hasn't been released yet. In fact, unlike the Q10 and K-5 II's, no release date has been mentioned and I can't find any retailers taking pre-orders for it, but I suspect it will be soon. No need to release a firmware if no one has the hardware...
B+H accepted my pre-order.
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
B+H accepted my pre-order.
Really? Did you call in to pre-order? Their website still only says "Notify When In Stock" which is not a pre-order (nothing is reserved for you):

10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Really? Did you call in to pre-order? Their website still only says "Notify When In Stock" which is not a pre-order (nothing is reserved for you):
Yup, I ordered one when it was announced, or perhaps a few days after. Every month or so B+H sends me an email saying it's still backordered.
10-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Yup, I ordered one when it was announced, or perhaps a few days after. Every month or so B+H sends me an email saying it's still backordered.
Ah, well there's no way to check with B&H today, since they're closed due to hurricane Sandy.

So I checked with Pentax Canada, and, as of today, they still don't even have a SKU or part # from Japan for the adapter, so up here there is actually no way for a vendor to pre-order or reserve any stock from Pentax because there is nothing to enter into the system. I know B&H uses their own, invented, "B&H part number" to allow for the notification service of announced items... which is how they ended up with a listing for the never-actually-manufactured Sigma 120-300/2.8 in Pentax mount! Here's hoping this doesn't fall into that category...

Last edited by panoguy; 10-29-2012 at 11:43 AM.
10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #12

Look again. The latest firmware update was just released 1.10. It has focal length input for use with adapter, focus peaking, improved AF. It's really good
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Focus peaking? Have a link? I'd love to have that.
10-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #14

Original Poster
Pentax Q update v. 1.10 rocks!

ElJamoquio
Focus peaking? Have a link? I'd love to have that.

Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

I installed it friday night - and it feels that I got a brand new camera (the one I thought I was buying)!
I can't say anything about focus peaking or auto focus speed, but the SR works with all my adapters and strange lenses I've tried.
The one drawback so far is the noticeably shorter battery time but everyone should have a charged spare with them anyway...

Last edited by Erich_H; 11-09-2012 at 06:06 AM.
10-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #15

Original Poster
You know that you can get a k-adapter (or M42, or...) for about 30-35 US$ in China if you don't need the shutter or logo...?

Last edited by Erich_H; 11-09-2012 at 06:06 AM.