Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Well, focus peaking is a nice feature but for me it's relatively useless regarding candid and street photography, since you usually just have a few seconds to focus, compose and take the shot.

The Q is nice for the streets because it's small and inconspicuous and usually most of the scene is in focus thanks to its small sensor. But I personally miss a wide prime (28 or 35mm eq), so I just ordered a Ricoh GRD 4

The K-01+40XS is also a great walk-around combo and a high IQ performer. But here again I sometimes find the 40mm a bit too long.

Regarding the DA 15, I find that it's a wonderful lens for landscapes and cityscapes, but a bit too wide and too slow when it comes to street photography (especially at dusk and night), so maybe the DA 21 would be more appropriated.

Now K-01 vs Q, maybe you could sell the K-01 body and keep the 40XS for your K-5. Thus you would have a lighter alternative to your 18-135.

Also the Q is really lighter and more pocketable than the K-01 or K-5, so in the end it's what I take the most often when I leave home and I don't know if I will take pictures or not.
"The Q is nice for the streets because it's small and inconspicuous and usually most of the scene is in focus thanks to its small sensor. But I personally miss a wide prime (28 or 35mm eq), so I just ordered a Ricoh GRD 4"

I should point out that the wide end of the 02 zoom is a 28mm equivalent.

03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I'm kinda torn here too.

I got the Q on a bit of a whim. The 8mm is a nice lens, but a bit limiting in regards to versatility. I'm at the point now where I can get either a K-01 or cough up a little less for the 5-15mm zoom for the lens.
I got the Q/K adapter, but am currently frustrated with the manual focusing with the screen. I realize this specific issue is the same with the K-01, but on the other hand I already have a host of AF lenses that will go straight on, so the whole manual focusing thing becomes null and void.
Considering my K5 lives with its grips, the big 20-40mm, and an eye piece on it - as much as the Q in tiny (and very cute), anything is going to be smaller/lighter than my K5.
Also, after attending a wedding the other day with the Q; I'm quite disappointed with its low-light/noise abilities. Although coming from a K5; most things are going to be disappointing in that regard. But again; a plus I guess for the K-01.
*Sigh*
And I'm heading to Melb on Sunday for *another* wedding and now dont know what to take :/
Try a Clearviewer to improve viewing the screen for manual focus. Works well with focus peaking.
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #63

Photos: Albums
As far as IQ, I don't think there is much of a contest between Q and K-01. I also have found that I can focus pretty fast and accurately on the K-01 with my vintage (K and M42) lenses - without focus peaking - maybe it's just me, but I haven't found focus peaking all that helpful and I have my K-01 green button programmed for manual shooting and the red button for effects. The more I use this camera, the better I like it.