Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which to buy, Q or K-01?

With recent drops in price of both the Q and K-01, I've become very interested in buying one of the two cameras. Now, I already have a K5, K20 and others and lots of nice K mount lenses and honestly, I think I'm going through a bad bit of CBA on this question because I don't really need either one but I just want one. Why? Well, let's say just because. I've read a lot of reviews of these two and I 'think' I'm aware of their shortcomings. Whichever one I get, it will be a back up camera used for fun situations and more family stuff than my K5 gets used for. Size is not really an issue either - although I know there are differences between both of them. I've played with them in my local store and I like 'em both. One more bit of info, I'm not waiting for the Q10 either and while there is a cost difference between the Q and K-01 it's not that different that cost will factor in here.

So, if any of you have gone through this question, or are users of either one of them, what are your thoughts on this question. Should I buy the Q or the K-01 (yellow model of course!).

11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm in the same boat or a bit worse...debating between Q1, K-01 and K5...
11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Get the K-01 if anything, because it takes much better pics overall than the Q and it'll take all you lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2012, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I've got a K-x and a K-5 and have looked at both the Q and the K-01.

I owned a K-01 briefly when Quill misrepresented what was included in the box (no 40XS as they indicated) and have handled both on several occassions. Prior to the v1.1 software for the Q and my purchase of a 40 Ltd I intended to get the K-01 with 40XS when the price was right (which it is now at Adorama with the bundle IMHO). However, now that I have the 40Ltd I have no need for the 40XS.

The upgrade in the Q firmware appears to be significant and addresses several issues for me. I really liked the Q's build quality, size, and handling. I like that the K-01 uses K mount lenses natively. I dislike that neither has a viewfinder. I see the K-01 as more redundant with my K-x and K-5 than the Q. Also, there are lots of posts about what lenses don't actually work properly with the K-01, which for me sort of defeats the entire 'natively K lens compatible' argument.

In the end I have chosen the Q over the K-01. Why? Because it offers more new options IMHO than the K-01 and is far better built, again IMHO. As for picture quality - perhaps the K-01 is better, it ought to be with the K-5's sensor, but I already own a K-5. The K-01 seems more redundant to me when I already have a small form factor dSLR like the K-x and a very capable dSLR like the K-5. The Q with its 5.5 crop factor is, from the photos posted here and elsewhere, an excellent Macro camera with macro lenses and a giant in the telephoto realm with telephoto lenses.

Finally, there is an intangible with the Q - most who own one talk about it bringing Fun into their photography.

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-05-2012 at 06:17 PM.
11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you've a K5 i don't really see a reason to get the K-01 beside as a backup camera.
If you want something small to keep with you then get the Q.
11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
In the end I have chosen the Q over the K-01. Why? Because it offers more new options IMHO than the K-01 and is far better built, again IMHO. As for picture quality - perhaps the K-01 is better, it ought to be with the K-5's sensory, but I already own a K-5. The K-01 seems more redundant to me when I already have a small form factor dSLR like the K-x and a very capable dSLR like the K-5. The Q with its 5.5 crop factor is, from the photos posted here and elsewhere, an excellent Macro camera with macro lenses and a giant in the telephoto realm with telephoto lenses.

Finally, there is an intangible with the Q - most who own one talk about it bringing Fun into their photography.
Copycat - - but I could not have said it better.
Now the wait from Adorama.
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
No wait for me, I just walk in to my local store and buy either of them.

11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that if Lauren got one, well nough said.
11-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would get a Q as it's is an entirely different camera and is small and fun enough to follow you even if you bring both the K-5 and the K-20. In my eyes, in your case, the only real reason to get a K-01 (besides fondling its looks) is for video work.
11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my case I wanted something smaller to take on days when I didn't feel like carrying the K-5.
I also wanted to try the 5.5x crop factor with adapted lenses.
The Q does not disappoint in these areas, and everything else it can do makes it fun and addicting.
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot to mention that if Lauren got one, well nough said.
Now, where did I put that *like* button? Oh wait. This isn't Facebook...yet.

11-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Now, where did I put that *like* button? Oh wait. This isn't Facebook...yet.

Listen, any woman that has more Pentax gear than Adam, mills parts for herself, rides a rice burner, etc. is one that should be listened too attentively IMHO

Seriously, I've been back and forth on the Q and K-01 issue myself. Ultimately, I decided based on two new factors - the recent price break on the Q and the v1.1 firmware additions to its capabilities. The discussions here on the topic have simply reassured me that I'm unlikely to be getting a ceiling fan this time
11-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Listen, any woman that has more Pentax gear than Adam, mills parts for herself, rides a rice burner, etc. is one that should be listened too attentively IMHO

Seriously, I've been back and forth on the Q and K-01 issue myself. Ultimately, I decided based on two new factors - the recent price break on the Q and the v1.1 firmware additions to its capabilities. The discussions here on the topic have simply reassured me that I'm unlikely to be getting a ceiling fan this time
LOL. Too funny.

It's all about the passion in one's life.

11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Keep the discussion going but I have to add that based on the info, I went and picked up a Q with the 01 prime lens this afternoon. Really wanted the yellow K-01 but...you all talked me into the Q. Very interesting, thanks.
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Keep the discussion going but I have to add that based on the info, I went and picked up a Q with the 01 prime lens this afternoon. Really wanted the yellow K-01 but...you all talked me into the Q. Very interesting, thanks.
I think that the K-01 will be easy to get (maybe even cheaper) quite a while in the future but the original Q seems to already be disappearing. I really have high hopes for the macro and the wide-angle, hopefully one of them are really fast or maybe another fast lens as the 01 Prime. It looks like Pentax given up a bit on the K-01 but Q-series are being pushed!