Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I thought that the answer, conventionally accepted as the universal truth, to such "should I buy X or Y?" questions was "both"?

I have the Q and K-01, and they're both cool and not at all interchangeable. You do need both

03-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
I have the Q and K-01, and they're both cool and not at all interchangeable. You do need both
I'm trying to pretend I didn't hear that.
03-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm trying to pretend I didn't hear that.
Ahh, youth, ideals, and self-control .... all wither with time.......
03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Q is still a bargain.

Submit to The Force.

03-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I considered a Q for a long time, and had little interest in the K-01. In the end I bought the K-01 for two reasons.
1. I didn't want to start collecting lenses for another mount, and I know I would have if I owned a Q.
2, I wanted a low light shooter and the K-01 excels here
That's why I got the K-01. I also didn't want to start a whole new collection but now that I've read the recent review here on this web site on the official Pentax K-mount-to-Q adapter, I am quite intrigued (especially with that 5X crop factor plus the fact the old Q is going for just a little over $200 on Amazon).
03-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #51

Well, with the discontinuation of the k-01 and the original q, I went on a random buying spree and bough both the K-01+40mm XS and the Q 01&02 twin kit lens and put it on my CC.

Now the problem begins. I'm a cash strapped teenage uni student and can't exactly afford to keep both.
Neither of them have arrived (both should be here before the end of the month) but I'm hoping to line up a buyer, either on here, online or at my university photography club.
This brings me to another more relevant problem:
I have a K-5 with a 18-135mm which I find heavy to carry around for candid and street photography.
I have a few options, to sell the K-01, the Q, or sell both and buy a 15mm Ltd.
I'd like to print 16x20, but given the purpose of my Q, I dont think it's have many shots worth printing that big.
The 1.10 update on the Q brings in the focus peaking, which gives it some equality to the K-01's, but the K-01's low light performance would give me a very nice backup camera...

So, I am rather torn. I've played with both in store, the K-01 is quite literally a brick, while the Q's mini sensor is a 'little' restrictive.
Could someone who's owned both give me some advice what to do with my family of cameras which requires emancipation?

Last edited by cpho; 03-18-2013 at 05:23 AM.
03-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
The 1.10 update on the Q brings in the focus peaking, which gives it some leverage, but the K-01's low light performance would give me a very nice backup camera...
I can't help you to decide, but I would just point out that the K-01 also has focus peaking.

03-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
Well, with the discontinuation of the k-01 and the original q, I went on a random buying spree and bough both the K-01+40mm XS and the Q 01&02 twin kit lens and put it on my CC.

Now the problem begins. I'm a cash strapped teenage uni student and can't exactly afford to keep both.
Neither of them have arrived (both should be here before the end of the month) but I'm hoping to line up a buyer, either on here, online or at my university photography club.
This brings me to another more relevant problem:
I have a K-5 with a 18-135mm which I find heavy to carry around for candid and street photography.
I have a few options, to sell the K-01, the Q, or sell both and buy a 15mm Ltd.
I'd like to print 16x20, but given the purpose of my Q, I dont think it's have many shots worth printing that big.
The 1.10 update on the Q brings in the focus peaking, which gives it some equality to the K-01's, but the K-01's low light performance would give me a very nice backup camera...

So, I am rather torn. I've played with both in store, the K-01 is quite literally a brick, while the Q's mini sensor is a 'little' restrictive.
Could someone who's owned both give me some advice what to do with my family of cameras which requires emancipation?
Well, focus peaking is a nice feature but for me it's relatively useless regarding candid and street photography, since you usually just have a few seconds to focus, compose and take the shot.

The Q is nice for the streets because it's small and inconspicuous and usually most of the scene is in focus thanks to its small sensor. But I personally miss a wide prime (28 or 35mm eq), so I just ordered a Ricoh GRD 4

The K-01+40XS is also a great walk-around combo and a high IQ performer. But here again I sometimes find the 40mm a bit too long.

Regarding the DA 15, I find that it's a wonderful lens for landscapes and cityscapes, but a bit too wide and too slow when it comes to street photography (especially at dusk and night), so maybe the DA 21 would be more appropriated.

Now K-01 vs Q, maybe you could sell the K-01 body and keep the 40XS for your K-5. Thus you would have a lighter alternative to your 18-135.

Also the Q is really lighter and more pocketable than the K-01 or K-5, so in the end it's what I take the most often when I leave home and I don't know if I will take pictures or not.
03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #54

I have to admit that my attraction to the K-01 was one of nostalgia. I hung a smc 28-105 on it, which is a pretty beefy affair and now I've got a camera that looks and feels like my old K-1000 with a zoom afixed. Ah, for the good old days! The new outfit produces extremely clear, bright and contrasty photos. With the packaged 40mm pancake lens it's easy to haul around and all of the features work. So I'm a fan. Never used the Q, but I'm sure it's a fine machine.

The so called "brick" is a quirky camera, but I'm a quirky guy and we make a nice team.
03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the Q, it's fun and very versatile. Add the K to Q converter and It's a new animal (use your existing K lenses). Put it in your pocket with the 01 or 02 lens and go for a walk. Very useful/convenient vacation/travel camera.
03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #56
Inactive Account

I'm abit late to give advice for Blackcloudbrew but I'll add my thoughts if someone else has the same dilemma. Firstly if you have anything like a K7 or below, get a K01- as it complements it and the older models very well- higher ISO, smaller size and better movie capability make it a great partner (I have a K7 and ended up getting a Q! However I have a smaller/higher ISO Kx aswell). I you have a load of primes especially Manual ones get it as well, even if you have a K5 up asit it gives you the focus assist and lighter weight that primes give you. Also with a K5 or another camera you now have a second body to reduce lens changes.
The Q to me is a totally different category get it so you have a camera on you at all times.
It suits someone who has one of the higher ISO/quality cameras already such as a K5 etc especially if you prefer bigger lenses and or Zooms as the need for a smaller body will be higher. And of course if have tele or macro lenses the Q with adapter works as a great little electronic teleconverter!
03-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, it's a bit late but good points none the less. I bought a Q and have been having lots of fun with it.
03-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Yep, it's a bit late but good points none the less. I bought a Q and have been having lots of fun with it.
Good decision. The K-01 would have only given you different ways of doing the same thing. The Q will open up new horizons.
03-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #59
Inactive Account

I got both because of the recent drop in prices. Who could resist the k-01/40mm for $360 or the Q/02 kit for $240?
03-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I'm kinda torn here too.

I got the Q on a bit of a whim. The 8mm is a nice lens, but a bit limiting in regards to versatility. I'm at the point now where I can get either a K-01 or cough up a little less for the 5-15mm zoom for the lens.
I got the Q/K adapter, but am currently frustrated with the manual focusing with the screen. I realize this specific issue is the same with the K-01, but on the other hand I already have a host of AF lenses that will go straight on, so the whole manual focusing thing becomes null and void.
Considering my K5 lives with its grips, the big 20-40mm, and an eye piece on it - as much as the Q in tiny (and very cute), anything is going to be smaller/lighter than my K5.
Also, after attending a wedding the other day with the Q; I'm quite disappointed with its low-light/noise abilities. Although coming from a K5; most things are going to be disappointing in that regard. But again; a plus I guess for the K-01.
*Sigh*
And I'm heading to Melb on Sunday for *another* wedding and now dont know what to take :/