Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
A really stupid question from a longtime film shooter

Hi all,

Really stupid question that I tried to do some due diligence for, and then got lazy and decided to ask here. Hopefully someone is kind/bored enough to humor me and help me out.

Can I use M-series lenses in Av mode, and will the K 01 automatically (mechanically) stop the lens down for me? What I mean is, will M lenses function like they will on a film camera in AV mode (i.e. focus wide open, then stop down mechanically while snapping the photo).

If not, can I use M lenses in stop-down metering mode? Are there any menu functions that I need to set to enable use of M lenses?

I've heard mixed things. I have a ton of M- and K-series glass. I just ordered a K 01 amid all of the pricing madness--my first digital camera, ever.

Thanks

11-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

An M and even K lens on my K5 will do what you expect them too, that is they remain wide open until the shutter is fired and then it will stop down, however there is no information link between the lens and the body to use Automatic modes (auto, Av, Tv etc) as the camera doesn't know what f stop the lens is set at. Hope it makes sense, or maybe someone else can explain it better.
11-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jake(?),

̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶a̶k̶ ̶d̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶K̶-̶0̶1̶ ̶-̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶-̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶S̶L̶R̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶u̶p̶ ̶
y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶A̶v̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶i̶n̶u̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r̶/̶i̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶
a̶p̶e̶r̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶n̶s̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶-̶d̶e̶m̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶o̶n̶.̶

Sorry about the misleading answer. Adam, of course, gives the correct answer.

Last edited by Venturi; 11-24-2012 at 12:34 AM.
11-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
An M and even K lens on my K5 will do what you expect them too, that is they remain wide open until the shutter is fired and then it will stop down, however there is no information link between the lens and the body to use Automatic modes (auto, Av, Tv etc) as the camera doesn't know what f stop the lens is set at. Hope it makes sense, or maybe someone else can explain it better.
Gotcha. Basically the camera has no idea what you set the aperture to, but still knows how to stop it down right before the shutter fires. So if you stop an f/2.8 lens down to f/4 with the camera in Av mode, you'll get a photo that's underexposed 1 stop. Right?

Can you (sort of) work around this using Exposure comp in Av mode--set it to +2, then stop down 2 stops? Or use the camera in full manual and basically shoot with no meter? I'm pretty good with LV/EV settings - especially at ISO 100. I've shot a lot of cameras with broken meters, which trained me pretty well.

11-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Nate, you'll find your answers at the following link https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

If you use M or K lenses in Av mode it will shoot wide open, but in manual mode, using the green button, it will stop down to the correct shutter speed for the aperture you have on the lens at that moment
11-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
Can I use M-series lenses in Av mode, and will the K 01 automatically (mechanically) stop the lens down for me? What I mean is, will M lenses function like they will on a film camera in AV mode (i.e. focus wide open, then stop down mechanically while snapping the photo).
No. You can only use takumar lenses (which have a manual diaphragm) in Av mode. Other manual lenses must be used in M mode, and the instructions are found here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you can handle it. I just skip past Av and put it in M mode when I use K- or M- lenses.

For the most part, the K-01 behaves like all previous Pentax dSLRs with old glass. Put it in Manual, set the aperture ring, press the Green Button, and it meters and gives you a shutter speed. You can then tweak the speed with the thumbwheel. The K-01 has an additional feature (shared with the K-30): if AutoISO is turned on in Manual, it acts like "TAv" mode, where you pick aperture/shutter and it picks ISO, or something like that. It's probably better if you manually select ISO at first, and just go full-on manual, at least until you get the hang of the BricK-01.

There is a custom setting (#23) that needs to be turned on for even older M42 lenses, but I don't think you have to have it for K- or M-.

IIRC from another thread, you've been collecting small lenses for your film cameras - they are perfect for the K-01 (in my opinion). Have fun!
11-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No. You can only use takumar lenses (which have a manual diaphragm) in Av mode. Other manual lenses must be used in M mode, and the instructions are found here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
Thanks, Adam. One more question: the green button, as I understand it, will automatically pick a shutter speed in M mode based on aperture. But it can also be set to DOF preview. Again, a couple of idiot questions - is the DOF preview mechanical or electronic? Does it work with M-series lenses? Second, if the green button is set to automatically pick a shutter speed, does it do so knowing what my aperture is set to? I.e. does it sense from the mechanical pressure on the aperture lever (as a film camera would) what my aperture is set to, or does it simply meter at the lens's largest aperture?

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
IIRC from another thread, you've been collecting small lenses for your film cameras - they are perfect for the K-01 (in my opinion). Have fun!
Yeah, I've been shooting Pentax since the late-90's (when I was in high school)--went from a K1000 with a 50/2 to an ME super and MX with a 50/1.7 haha. Not much has changed in 15 years... just the amount of glass that sits on the shelf while I shoot 50mm. That's not quite true, but I sometimes wonder if I would be a better photographer if I only shot one lens and one camera...

The brick will be my first digital camera, ever. I've shot friends' digital cameras pretty extensively, including some "nice" ones, but I never cared much for them. I'm hoping the brick will win me over. I'm pretty comfy with all manual cameras, and it feels a little bit ironic that a digital takes several more steps and buttons to accomplish the same thing. Haha or maybe I just have the wrong lens series and am throwing a fit about it.

11-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The green button stops down to meter the scene at the set aperture using the light meter. That's the means by which the shutter speed is chosen by the camera according the set ISO.
11-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
I'm pretty comfy with all manual cameras, and it feels a little bit ironic that a digital takes several more steps and buttons to accomplish the same thing. Haha or maybe I just have the wrong lens series and am throwing a fit about it.
It's because you are swimming against the tide of make-it-so-it-does-everything-for-me. Once you turn off all the auto-stuff, it's about the same (well, except for having to push one more button for stop-down metering instead of half-press the shutter. Nothing to be done, I'm afraid.). For whatever reason, the K-01 brings me back to my ME Super days more than my other dSLRs. Which is funny, since it's the most "modern" and the least like my ME Soop. Or maybe it's just different enough that I don't expect it to behave the same, and don't get irritated when it doesn't.
03-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My new K-01 just feels good on Manual, particularly with an older A lens that I have to focus myself. Looking forward over the next few months to re-learning how to estimate light again... and wean myself from Auto-ISO. Will start with f/8... my 'everything is sharp' setting.

Maybe it's silly, what with AF and Av, Tv, TAv, and P. But I was able to guesstimate a good exposure years ago, and I'd like to be able to again. And, film or digital, the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and film speed -- oops, ISO sensor sensitivity -- that relationship hasn't changed one bit, has it?
03-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You're right the relationship hasn't changed, the technology has but it still follows the same foundation.

Av (aperture priority) are Tv (time priority) great settings that are semi-auto, semi manual. You set the aperture (in the case of Av) and either auto ISO or set the ISO and the light meter will choose a shutter speed. Tv is the same but setting the shutter speed and aperture will vary. I use them all the time.