Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

How much difference does a lens make to K-01 video footage?

I mean, I have good sharp lenses for stills, but the video from the K-01 with same lens sucks donkey nads...
Help save my K-01 from the classifieds because the video IQ is horrid and while the stills are great, the Kah-shlock-a-chunk of the shutter coupled with the iris noise really irks me.

04-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Don't bother with Gumtree mate, just post it to Melbourne, I'll happily take over caring for you K-01

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
How much difference does a lens make to K-01 video footage?
Quite a bit actually. And it depends on subject matter.
I keep my SMC Primes for dramatic content and high value content, and use my AF equipped modern 'budget' Zooms for Youtube, C31, Behind Scenes, Corporates.
The newer base level stuff does not perform anywhere near as well as the classic primes for Dramatic and Music Video production.
04-30-2015, 12:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I was thinking in terms of actual video image quality.
I don't like the aliasing and moire you get from the line skipping rubbish the K-01 spits out. Lens choice isn't going to help there.
The dynamic range I've always thought was p*ss poor, whites blow and shadows crush (yes I set as flat as possible), but you've said elsewhere that Canon is worse....
I've tried to love the K-01 - but I haven't found it a satisfying camera.
04-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #34
JIO

SM Surplus

Just wanna share my video using Pentax K01, Helios 58mm 2.8, Pentacon 135mm 2.8

05-01-2015, 01:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't like the aliasing and moire you get from the line skipping rubbish the K-01 spits out.
Ahh,.. I just move the camera back or forth a couple of millimeters, or remove the flyscreens.

whites blow and shadows crush
What are you using to correct the colours with?
I edit in Edius, and the YUV Curves tool does the trick to get the vision to be correct to Tech standards, S-curve on the Y channel, and linear shifts to the U and V channels to bring up the colour.
Premieres stock colour tools are pretty limited.

---------- Post added 01-05-15 at 06:56 PM ----------

've tried to love the K-01 - but I haven't found it a satisfying camera.
My postal address is,.....
05-01-2015, 02:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
What are you using to correct the colours with?
I'm talking about OOC.
05-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JIO Quote
Just wanna share my video using Pentax K01, Helios 58mm 2.8, Pentacon 135mm 2.8

Wow this is great! What frame rate is it? I miss Philippines

05-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I'm talking about OOC.
Yup, same question - plenty of shots can look crap out of the camera, and great after the right post work.
05-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Whatever I say you will tell me it's rubbish to go out an buy Edius ($$$$$$$$$$) or download DaVinci Resolve, but this in not the right answer for casual hobbiests who want to get decent video clips from their cameras while enjoying the benefits of DSLR lenses. We don't have the dollars for high end software or the time to traverse the learning curve required to come to grips with it. Some may not even have the computer hardware to run it well.

Although not a DSLR, the MX-1 comes much closer to decent video OOC.
05-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Whatever I say you will tell me it's rubbish to go out an buy Edius (
- You know me so well already,.....
Actually, I'm a TAVO - Tight Arsed Valiant Owner - So I'd never advocate spending huge amounts of cash.

The current version of Edius is the first one without hardware to break $1000AU, about a third of the price the full non-subscription version of Premiere was last time I checked.
That makes my wallet hurt,...

I'd suggest the 30 day trail version of Edius first, then Resolve Lite, which is free, confusing as hell, but free.
There's a lot that can be done in VirtualDub too if you download the right plug-ins.
If you have Lightroom already, there's a work-around covered in other threads for using it to grade video - and it does work very well for it so long as you're working with a fixed camera angle (the colour-corrections can't be key-framed in Lightroom)

LightWorks is also available free, runs on Windows, Linux, and crApple - RedShark News - Lightworks 12 for Mac, Linux and Windows is released
Bit of a learning curve, no where steep as Resolve though.

And on that curve - If you can colour correct your photos, then you can already do it for video, you just need to nut out the interface.

Some may not even have the computer hardware to run it well.
One of the reasons I love Edius - you can edit HD video on a decade old Pentuim 4, so long as it's got a decent video card and enough Ram, and are willing to put up with some scrubbing jitter.
My main editing PC is now 4, or maybe 5, years old - i7-950, 12gig Ram, Sata2 Harddrives, GTX-470OC - And it does DV, Fuji 3D, K-01, 5D3, HPX-502 and R3D footage, all on the same timeline.

This all reminds me, I haven't used a version of Windows Movie Maker ( I think it's still called that ) in ages, does anyone know if it can do basic colour correction?

Annnnd,.. Another good source for Colour Correcting Tutorials, is the video's Matt puts up on his page.
http://mattscottvisuals.com/
Like me, he's mostly an Edius user, but the basics are covered before moving in to some of the app-specific tutes.
He does have a penchant for using Fresnels where I'd put redheads, but he's fun to work with, just don't tell him I said that
And he understands the value of classic Primes.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-03-2015 at 07:07 PM.
05-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Resolve Lite, which is free, confusing as hell, but free.
You're not wrong.. I did try it last year, decided I wanted to keep my hair and needed to let my remaining brain cells recover before they too popped.. I need them for a while yet.

So right now I use AVS for quickies and Movie Edit Pro 2014 for bigger projects (rare)

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 05-03-2015 at 07:25 PM.
05-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #42
Veteran Member

For giggles and learning curves, see if you can google the manual for an EVS system.
EVS are French, broadcast device that is basically six HD video decks, but using a RAID for the storage.
No EVS manual has ever made any sense to anyone, even guys who speak French and read the original manuals say those don't make sense, let alone the ones in English.
Makes it a touch difficult to learn...
05-04-2015, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll pass (Je passerai)
12-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
I too purchased the K-01 specifically for shooting video. It got too hard to pass up when the price fell below $300. Great sensor and love the focus peaking. I have not shot a ton of video with it yet, but have been adding accessories to complete the setup. Thought you might like to see a photo of the current setup.
Are/were you ever able to get usable sound with your K-01, and if so what's the trick?
12-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrStupid Quote
Are/were you ever able to get usable sound with your K-01, and if so what's the trick?
Yes,... This.
It loops out to the camera for syncing in post.

Product: DR-70D | TASCAM