Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K 01 video thread

I picked up a K 01 primarily to shoot video. Let's start a video thread!

12-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
Amr

I am also thinking of getting the K01 for video mainly. There were too many out of focus shots and the picture is over all too bright.
12-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice video! Just curious, is it better to shoot with SR off? Does that limit that weird jello effect I've seen in other K-01 videos? Did you do any color correction or PP on the video cause it actually looks pretty good? Do you have recommendations for editing software?

I'm thinking of possibly investing in a stabilizer like the SYL-3000 from Glidegear.

Thanks
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Just curious, is it better to shoot with SR off? Does that limit that weird jello effect I've seen in other K-01 videos? Did you do any color correction or PP on the video cause it actually looks pretty good? Do you have recommendations for editing software?
Yes, I had SR off to limit jello effect. I noticed that in the other demo videos that I saw, and wanted to try without it. I found no jello effect, just some good old natural camera shake! I didn't do any color correction or other PP. You can do quite a bit in camera by selecting the shooting mode and adjusting WB. I had the camera in "natural colors", but I've been goofing around with it in "vibrant",
"Muted", and "BW".

I just used Windows Movie Maker to edit, but I have a demo version of AVS Video Editor, which seems pretty good for the price point. Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't have any color correction options or contrast adjust, only trimming/music syncing tools.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I'm thinking of possibly investing in a stabilizer like the SYL-3000 from Glidegear.
Yeah, that looks pretty cool. However, is it tough to adjust focus with stabilizers like that? I was thinking of fashioning some sort of shoulder rig to get some stabilization while still being able to adjust manual focus lenses. Are the stabilizers that you mentioned sturdy enough that one can use MF without twisting the whole system or shaking it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Amr Quote
I am also thinking of getting the K01 for video mainly. There were too many out of focus shots and the picture is over all too bright.
Thanks for the feedback.

12-06-2012, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote

Very nice....I saw some nice looking technical stuff with DOF, etc...

I shoot live bands with my Q & K-01....it's pretty raw but sometimes they come out pretty well..

12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, I don't think they really recommend trying to focus with a setup like the SYL-3000. They usually tell you to go with a fairly wide lens and a high depth of field. I'm thinking maybe the DA 21mm at f8 or higher would work for me. I also suspect that if you really planned out your shots well and expected to do a lot of cuts/editing in post that you could still have some really nice bokeh as well as using tighter lenses (50mm or higher).
12-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
Got to tell you, I really enjoyed watching this.

The camera shake, focus pulls and exposure are really, really asthetically pleasing here. They are why the short is so interesting to watch.

Great sound track too!

12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamm001 Quote
Got to tell you, I really enjoyed watching this.

The camera shake, focus pulls and exposure are really, really asthetically pleasing here. They are why the short is so interesting to watch.

Great sound track too!
Thanks! Just some good ol' M and K glass doing their thing...
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just ordered the SYL-3000 stabilizer to use on my T3i and occasionally on the K-01. Once I get the hang of it I'll try and throw something together for Youtube and I'll post a link in this thread
03-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Can anyone suggest what's the best wide/normal AF zoom from both image and noise standpoints? I have to do a band video about a month from now and I have read some of the lenses can be loud while focusing, which might interfere with recording. I will be using an external mic, BTW. If anyone has experience with Tamron, Sigma, Pentax AF zooms of this range (e.g. 16-45, 17-50, etc.) let me know if any have an issue.
05-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

I took some video and noticed the wobble that you guys are mentioning. I am going to try the video with SR off and see how I like it. Here are 2 DOF examples with my k-01 w rokinon 85mm 1.4. I think i need to realize that hand holding the 85mm is not ideal and I should be using tripod. IQ is good, i do not know why youtube uploads the video in 720p when I upload from my ipad grr. Either way, here are 2 examples with SR on. Much more video coming soon once I learn how to PP well enough.

07-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's one I shot in an afternoon for a clients local council building permit objection.

Edited in GV Edius - I noted that even in a project set to progressive video, sometimes the NLE needs to be told the K-01 footage is progressive before it displays it properly on the timeline icons.

If you check out "Basement Apes Live" on Youtube or Facebook, there's some live music stuff I've been involved with lately, using the K-01 for the tripod mounted wides and close-ups.
We filmed an interview with Glliy Clarke from Guns N Roses last Sunday, one of the two angle is my K-01, the other is a mates 60D (? - I think, it has flip out screen,..)
07-22-2013, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I too purchased the K-01 specifically for shooting video. It got too hard to pass up when the price fell below $300. Great sensor and love the focus peaking. I have not shot a ton of video with it yet, but have been adding accessories to complete the setup. Thought you might like to see a photo of the current setup.

07-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What is that focus rig you have on it?
07-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

called the $50 follow focus from a company called Hondo Garage. Crazy how expensive some of the video gear is but small companies like this are making some really high quality products at really reasonable prices. HONDO Garage - HONDO Garage