Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

A FF EVIL would require a new mount, and Pentax can't afford to alienate any users.
The term "full frame" in this context refers to an image sensor the size of one "frame", a.k.a. exposure on 35mm film. The K mount was developed for 35mm film cameras. Why would they need a new mount?

01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
Next K-01? Articulated LCD, weather seal, WIFI, one-buttom switch from AF to MF, more XS Lens support (16 to 35 mm with virtually no front protrusion)...
no eye level anything

The K-01 is an awesome camera with no peer in adapter based APS digitals
Add an EVF.

An articulated LCD is acceptable, but only if readability in bright light is achieved.
01-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member
wanderography's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hayward, California, USA
Posts: 567
I don't even see the point in this topic, the k-01 flopped, it didn't have a viewfinder for the social inept's to hide behind, it wasn't classic looking enough for the hipsters, and it wasn't pentax enough for the pentaxians. I love the camera, just wish it had a tilting screen... Pentax themselves said they are not continuing with the K-01 line, and plus if they did make a new one don't expect to get it at the ROSS price all the late comers got it for, ROSS price = closeout, closeout during first year of a cameras release = flop...
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
I don't even see the point in this topic, the k-01 flopped, it didn't have a viewfinder for the social inept's to hide behind, it wasn't classic looking enough for the hipsters, and it wasn't pentax enough for the pentaxians. I love the camera, just wish it had a tilting screen... Pentax themselves said they are not continuing with the K-01 line, and plus if they did make a new one don't expect to get it at the ROSS price all the late comers got it for, ROSS price = closeout, closeout during first year of a cameras release = flop...
But the Pentax K-01 has better video than the K-5's; especially the one that has been phased out and suffers from serious sensor burn issues. Nothing quite like paying for a companies failure in the imaging sensor. Then there's the Pentax glass - and items such as the P 16-50 another lemon priced well above 1k. So when one purchases current Pentax lines is one really rolling the dice??

And to those that actually bought the camera without hand testing it and/or reading up on it... I'd blame them more than even any attempt at camera design

01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,001
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
And to those that actually bought the camera without hand testing it and/or reading up on it... I'd blame them more than even any attempt at camera design
Blame us for what?

What if we bought it in the pre-order period after reading all the spec.s, were delighted with the camera, still are delighted with the camera and use it now as the principal digital camera?

What are we to be blamed for?
01-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member
zmohie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: egypt
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 373
I would like it to be like this leica

Last edited by zmohie; 01-03-2013 at 06:14 AM.
01-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I would like it to be like this leica
exactly... the K-01 with the addition of an integrated EVF.
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #38
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,621
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I would like it to be like this leica
Pentalux K-02?

01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 891
The only reason the K-01 flopped is because Pentax decided to bring it out at a ridiculously high price. If they started it at $599 with the 40mm XS lens, it would have been more of a game changer. If they started it at $499 with the lens, it would have flown off of e-shelves. But they started it at the same price as the K-30, which is outright ludicrous.

Personally, I love my K-01, and I really hope a K-02 will eventually see the light of day. It's the perfect size for me. It's smaller than my K-x, and SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than a K-30 or K5. It feels like an old K1000, sans viewfinder. Drop the Mark Newson crap and give me a K-02 in silver and black which follows the same styling cues that the K1000, Spotmatic, and other Pentax camers of lore, I'll buy it too. The K-01 SHOULD have had vintage styling. That alone would have gone a huge, huge distance to selling the camera. (Hipster culture and all). The fact that it would have been an amazingly capable camera AND one that looks vintage-schweet would have turned it from a poor seller to a top performer. But come on, a neon yellow camera designed by some has-been graphic artist? That's a joke. The only name that should be on a Pentax camera is "Pentax".

Charles.
01-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #40
Veteran Member
wanderography's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hayward, California, USA
Posts: 567
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Blame us for what?

What if we bought it in the pre-order period after reading all the spec.s, were delighted with the camera, still are delighted with the camera and use it now as the principal digital camera?

What are we to be blamed for?
I was one of those who saw the specs and pre-ordered. I figured great, a box that takes pictures that I can use manual glass on, what I always wanted, I'm not a bells and whistles kind of guy, I just want what my MX gives me in digital format, and the K-01 delivered on that part... but like I said, swivel screen, where was that at pentax?
01-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 891
Swivel would have added quite a bit of thickness. I don't mind it not having a swivel screen, that's not a big concern for me. Neither is the lack of a viewfinder. The things I'd want for a K-02:

1. Better focusing in low light
2. AWB actually being able to tell when it's in tungsten light (Seriously, does ANY Pentax camera do this well?)
3. Peaking active when recording video
4. Vintage styling (Silver and black!)

Everything else the K-01 does I'm exceedingly happy with. Focus accuracy is amazing, so much better than my K-x. SO much better. IQ is all I could ask for and more.

Charles.
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,461
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
swivel screen, where was that at pentax?
There's no room for a swivel screen - there just isn't. It's clear from the design (and from the interview with the design team) that they were trying to squeeze the K-01 as much as possible to get a size comparable to other MILCs - that's also why they flattened the 40mm.

I know I've gone on about this before, but the K-01 only has 13mm behind the focal plane. About 10mm of that is shutter, sensor, shake reduction, etc., with about 3mm left for the screen. The screen on the NEX-5n looks to be about 8mm thick, plus a little for the rear wall. Stick that behind the sensor and it would make the body of the K-01 as thick as a dSLR (maybe thicker overall, since they have longer 'snoots' around the mount). Other MILCs have at least 20mm more room to work with because of their shorter register distance, giving them plenty of space for nifty things like articulated screens.

Even if Pentax had left off shake reduction, the body still would had to have been thicker for a swivel screen. I seriously doubt they would have done so, as that would be a whole new design, and apart from the shell and the lack of a mirror, very little about the K-01 is "from-scratch" - look at how much is shared with the K-30.

I'm just thankful they didn't put it in a body that looked like a squashed K-x (or a pudgy Panasonic LZ20). Instead of 'the brick', we'd be calling it 'the blob'...
01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #43
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
There's no room for a swivel screen - there just isn't. It's clear from the design (and from the interview with the design team) that they were trying to squeeze the K-01 as much as possible to get a size comparable to other MILCs - that's also why they flattened the 40mm.

I know I've gone on about this before, but the K-01 only has 13mm behind the focal plane. About 10mm of that is shutter, sensor, shake reduction, etc., with about 3mm left for the screen. The screen on the NEX-5n looks to be about 8mm thick, plus a little for the rear wall. Stick that behind the sensor and it would make the body of the K-01 as thick as a dSLR (maybe thicker overall, since they have longer 'snoots' around the mount). Other MILCs have at least 20mm more room to work with because of their shorter register distance, giving them plenty of space for nifty things like articulated screens.

Even if Pentax had left off shake reduction, the body still would had to have been thicker for a swivel screen. I seriously doubt they would have done so, as that would be a whole new design, and apart from the shell and the lack of a mirror, very little about the K-01 is "from-scratch" - look at how much is shared with the K-30.

I'm just thankful they didn't put it in a body that looked like a squashed K-x (or a pudgy Panasonic LZ20). Instead of 'the brick', we'd be calling it 'the blob'...
I would have purchased the K-01 if it had an EVF, integrated or add on.
01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,644
QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I would have purchased the K-01 if it had an EVF, integrated or add on.
A lot of people bailed for the same reason.
01-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,461
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A lot of people bailed for the same reason.
I have to admit, when the K-01 came out, I was one of them. I always liked the idea of a mirrorless K-mount, because it would probably be quieter, but the initial price and lack of a VF turned me off. When they dropped the price in September (and after a museum visit where the guards were peering around corners to see who was making all the "Ka-chunk" noises), I bit.

After adapting to it (and it did take some getting used to), I really, really, really enjoy the K-01. Being able to get the camera away from my face and shoot at arm's length is liberating, for want of a better word. Yes, I could use LiveView before, but being forced to do it makes me think differently, and that rouses the creative part of my brain from its usual comatose state.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
digital camera, mirrorless, replacement
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you think of the looks of the K-01? kenyee Pentax K-01 68 01-23-2013 07:27 AM
How do you think they pitched the idea of K-01 to Pentax High Command? Reportage Pentax K-01 26 12-24-2012 02:15 PM
The weaknesses of K-5 - what do you think? ogl Pentax News and Rumors 83 09-21-2010 02:23 PM
Do you think the K-7's video capablity will lead to a run on Russian lenses? konraDarnok Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 05-31-2009 08:51 PM
Look... I think you will like what you see skinja Post Your Photos! 10 03-15-2009 02:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top