Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Also AF is supposed to be improved with the new firmware. The $400 price point seems too low to make it worthwhile to manufacture. There are plenty of advanced compacts selling for significantly more than that.

I believe the Pentax exec stated outright that the K-01 is a one-off product and not a product line. What that means exactly is up for debate, but I don't see justification to speculate on a K-02.
I guess speculating about a replacement is a nicer alternative to the most popular use of the K-01, criticizing it.

IIRC, the Pentax exec said that in response to a question about lenses with rear elements sticking into the mirror(less) box, indicating mirrorless K-mount is off the map for now.

01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #62
HSV
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
You know you can always use cheap wireless triggers and do the job just as well ... find solutions .
Well, that's true...I guess I'm just used to the "lazy method" of using p-ttl, so far, I haven't fully mastered manual flash.
01-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mypobox Quote
I'd love to see all the reviews of the K-01 done with the lower price point. I agree all the technical aspects would be the same but I bet the whole tone of the review would be much more positive at a $400 price point.
Also AF is supposed to be improved with the new firmware.
Something else that's changed since DPR reviewed the K-01: "The K-01 is, by far, the largest mirrorless ILC on the market"
Check this out: Compare camera dimensions side by side
Yes, the K-01 displaces more volume, but no longer largest by far.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
01-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Not to mention the new Panasonic GH3 - the K-01 is smaller in every dimension - and it's a micro 4/3 camera!

Or even the Leica M9 itself which the Fuji X-Pro copies. So that's three. Yet I don't believe they would rate the M9 down for its size because 'a MILC is supposed to be the size of a NEX' as they claimed when they did with the K-01 review.

It actually reminds me of the low score they gave the Kodak DCS SLRn because way back in 2004 Kodak discarded the AA filter for sharper images, so it got panned for all the 'possible moire'. But now the big players are all doing it, the very same thing gets praised.

I'm not going to call the K-01 a MILC anymore because of these size comparisons with the Sony NEX which it will never win. Always refer to it as a DSLnR instead to compare more accurately to DSLRs - it is a non-reflex camera which mounts SLR lenses = DSLnR (non-Reflex). I'm going to post a new thread on this very topic I think.

01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote

I'm not going to call the K-01 a MILC anymore because of these size comparisons with the Sony NEX which it will never win. Always refer to it as a DSLnR instead to compare more accurately to DSLRs - it is a non-reflex camera which mounts SLR lenses = DSLnR (non-Reflex). I'm going to post a new thread on this very topic I think.
Spread the word ... start the revolution !
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Spread the word ... start the revolution !
Done!
01-16-2013, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

In the current interview with John Carlson, when asked about the relative popularity of the two MILC systems he said:

DE: Which has proven more popular?
JC: The Q, definitely, and it's shown that Pentax is dedicated to that system. Several months ago, the original Pentax Q was one of the best selling cameras in Japan for that month. So especially in the Japanese market, there's a lot of interest in that system.

He avoided commenting on the K-01 pretty completely throughout the interview, only to say that it sold to those most interested in design and the Marc Newson signature.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/01/15/qa-with-pentaxs-john-carlson...-mx-1-and-more
01-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

That's basically been the marketing party line on the K-01 all along - "Marc Newson blah blah blah design blah blah blah mirrorless? blah". I'm not sure if marketing knew that the K-01 was a camera, or just an accessory for the Marc Newson! limited edition leather pouch.

01-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I could do without the signature ... don't care about the guy.
I do like the camera though.

Interesting interview ...
01-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I have 1 1/2 dSLR's
01-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #71
Pentaxian

The problem with John Carlson interviews is that he doesn't have enough authority to say anything that isn't obvious or that we don't already know.

Good interview questions from Dave Etchells, not like the last one where the interviewer only pressed the FF agenda.
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #72
Veteran Member

The problem with John Carlson interviews is that he doesn't have enough authority to say anything that isn't obvious or that we don't already know.

Good interview questions from Dave Etchells, not like the last one where the interviewer only pressed the FF agenda.
True, but my gripe is that often what he says is factually inaccurate. Recall the gaff on the 06 lens and its range? There are so many that it gets to be a sort of game, find the John C error in this interview.
01-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
True, but my gripe is that often what he says is factually inaccurate. Recall the gaff on the 06 lens and its range? There are so many that it gets to be a sort of game, find the John C error in this interview.
The article would have been more meaningful had it been conducted with James Malcolm.
01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I know! Believe me, I would have jumped all over it if he had misstated any facts. I didn't notice any errors, but nothing new here either.
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I know! Believe me, I would have jumped all over it if he had misstated any facts. I didn't notice any errors, but nothing new here either.
Dan,
Improvement is good. But when you start far enough in the hole........