Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the other hand, the K-01 was sort of an experiment for Pentax. They tried out a lot of new stuff, like peaking, video modes, constant live view, mirrorless technology, very weak AA filter.. and a lot of that stuff was later used in their next cameras, the great K-30 and K-5IIs. Maybe a K-02 will be another mirrorless design showcasing some of their new stuff (like new sensor) so they test it and learn from it before they make a new flagship DSLR.

12-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There have been pretty clear indications that the K-01 line is dead. What can a K-01 do that a GXR with K-mount module won't do? That's what I expect to replace the K-01, a Ricoh GXR with 24mp K-mount sensor module.
12-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There have been pretty clear indications that the K-01 line is dead. What can a K-01 do that a GXR with K-mount module won't do? That's what I expect to replace the K-01, a Ricoh GXR with 24mp K-mount sensor module.
I agree about the K-01 line ending here. Re: a K-mount module for the GXR, I've been one of those calling for such a product ever since Ricoh bought Pentax. And, as long as that GXR module includes auto focus, your forecast may very well be right. But, now that that I finally have a K-01 to go with my K-5, I must admit my motivation to buy a GXR and a K-mount module has been reduced markedly.
12-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

That's what I expect to replace the K-01, a Ricoh GXR with 24mp K-mount sensor module.
I think you're right. I suspect the K-01 is the only dedicated K-mount mirrorless we'll see.

12-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keep your peephole off my camera!

Next K-01? Articulated LCD, weather seal, WIFI, one-buttom switch from AF to MF, more XS Lens support (16 to 35 mm with virtually no front protrusion)...
no eye level anything

The K-01 is an awesome camera with no peer in adapter based APS digitals
12-26-2012, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #21
Banned

There have been pretty clear indications that the K-01 line is dead
Not so fast.

The inner workings of the K-01 were actually built to be expanded upon. It's almost like Pentax designed it to be a modular type of camera. It could be rather easily reworked (in a rather fast engineering type of manner) to a new sensor, more updated specs such as buffer and even maybe up a few bits, etc... It could even be easily adapted to a type of evf
12-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
It's almost like Pentax designed it to be a modular type of camera.
Can you help a noob out with a source on that?

That said, there are some particular quirks about the K-01 that I think can make it a better choice for some situations. The non-articulated screen IMO improved the reliability considerably. As far as controls and ergonomics go as well, I think the brick actually improves portability somewhat. IMO a weather sealed K-01, and a 21 or 30mm XS lens would be an amazing mobile photography tool. Wi-fi would be nice, but not a must have. I would vastly prefer breaking the 25minute video limit, RAW hi-speed continuous shooting, and maybe easier to access metering controls.

Those would make it fit a perfect niche, I think.

12-26-2012, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally don't see the K-01 as more modular than any other Pentax. I mean, it's missing some bits, but the other bits are pretty much the same. Looking at a tear-down of the K-01 and K-r (see link, about halfway down), the biggest difference appears to be that the main circuit board is smaller (and more densely populated) and doesn't extend all the way across the back of the camera. It sits beside the shutter/SR chassis instead of behind it. That appears to be where they squeezed 7mm out of the body to get it as thin as it is.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20120326_519765.html
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like the KR-01 will be even chunkier than the K-01, but it does have a lot of new features!

12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No K mount ... disappointed ...
12-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I would be very, very surprised if there is a replacement. Let's face it - the K-01 flopped. Hard. Even if there are some of us that love the little brick (including me), selling a few hundred units at closeout prices didn't turn it into a success. Flops don't get followups. We haven't heard anything positive from Pentax regarding a successor - what comments we have heard were neutral or negative. There might be something similar in concept years down the road, but it probably won't be considered a K-01 successor. The K-01 filled a niche (mirrorless legacy mount), that didn't have a lot of demand. The K-mount forces it to be bigger than other mirrorless offerings with no room for features like articulated screens. Adding those features would make it the size of a dSLR - and they could be added just as easily to a dSLR.
Not all flops endup being flops from and R&D stand point. Fore example, Edsel is considered a HallMark of flops. However, the FE family of engines were the mainstay of Ford for over 2-decades and many famous muscle cars had FE engines as well as trucks. The 428 Cobra Jet is an example.
12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
No K mount ... disappointed ...
What is your source for this? I don't expect a direct K-01 replacement, but I believe there will be K-mount compatibility in an APS-C MILC.
12-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Not all flops endup being flops from and R&D stand point. Fore example, Edsel is considered a HallMark of flops. However, the FE family of engines were the mainstay of Ford for over 2-decades and many famous muscle cars had FE engines as well as trucks. The 428 Cobra Jet is an example.
Agreed, and we've already seen focus peaking, first seen in the K-01, added to the Q line. We'll probably see it in most future dSLRs as well.

But a "replacement" for the K-01, as the Q10 was to the Q, the K-r to the K-x, or the K-5 to the K-7, I don't think we are going to see one. I expect some spirited debates whether some future model is a successor to the K-01 or not. If there is a mirrorless with a built-in EVF in a body the size and shape of a K-r, is it a K-01 "replacement"? I would argue that to be a K-01 replacement, it would need to be (1) K-mount, (2) mirrorless, (3) as small as current tech allows, and (4) primarily LiveView - this will be the sticky bit, but to me, that is what makes the K-01 the K-01, more than the pretty/ugly styling.
12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is your source for this? I don't expect a direct K-01 replacement, but I believe there will be K-mount compatibility in an APS-C MILC.
I don't think you looked at my video link that MrNewt was replying to...
12-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

what is your source for this? I don't expect a direct k-01 replacement, but i believe there will be k-mount compatibility in an aps-c milc.
QuoteOriginally posted by thoog Quote
i don't think you looked at my video link that mrnewt was replying to...
Funny