Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What do you think the replacement for the K-01 will be like?

I'm curious, for myself, I am hoping it will have the size & capability of the Sony NEX-5 series (1080-60p) and be able to use all my K mount glass.

Any rumours what it's replacement will be called, what it will look like, etc?

What are others out there hoping it will be like?

Just wondering..

12-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think we have any info on a successor, maybe there won't even be one. In one statement a Pentax representative said the K-01 is a special camera and not a line of cameras.
I would like it to be a lot like the K-01, but with a tiltable and movable screen. Improved AF, sensor, focus peaking, video modes.. are pretty much a must, technology is evolving, after all.
A lot of people are whining about its appearance, so maybe a more tame look (even if its just one of the colour options, the photoshop mockups of the K-01 with classical leather look great, so if they added that look to the current yellow and other schemes it would be enough) would be needed to boost sales, as well as maybe an EVF (and if they add an EVF I hope it will be large and clear, the size of old SLR viewfinders). But this is mostly dreams, I'm not holding my breath for a K-02.
12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think we have any info on a successor, maybe there won't even be one. In one statement a Pentax representative said the K-01 is a special camera and not a line of cameras.
I would like it to be a lot like the K-01, but with a tiltable and movable screen. Improved AF, sensor, focus peaking, video modes.. are pretty much a must, technology is evolving, after all.
A lot of people are whining about its appearance, so maybe a more tame look (even if its just one of the colour options, the photoshop mockups of the K-01 with classical leather look great, so if they added that look to the current yellow and other schemes it would be enough) would be needed to boost sales, as well as maybe an EVF (and if they add an EVF I hope it will be large and clear, the size of old SLR viewfinders). But this is mostly dreams, I'm not holding my breath for a K-02.
I think the follow APS mirrorless camera needs to have an EVF. Basically it needs to follow Sony/Minolta's approach of an EVF replacing the pentaprism/pentamirror. I personally like the style used in the Sony NEX 7/6 or the Fuji XE1, however if it needs to be thick and boxy like the K01, then a central position mimicking a dSLR (a digital Pentax K1000 or MX) would be very desirable.

It may be a KAF mount for the GXR.

I also think there should be one version with either an articulated LCD or a tilting LCD.

I would also like to see sensor based phase detection to speed up and increase autofocus accuracy.
12-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

Right now there are some super hot deals on the K-01 and as a photography tool I think its a good time to buy because of price. I think Pentax needs to take their mirror less image technology that they have built upon so far and step it way up and add a few more ergonomic features to their cameras like better gripping and eye pieces to make them more well rounded. Software wise I think Pentax needs to add panoramic photo mode and more manual control mode options for 3rd party lenses and flashes, adapters ect Fine tune all this and their cameras will be extremely competitive if they can get all this out at a decent price.

Last edited by SonDa5; 12-22-2012 at 02:28 PM.
12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Banned

I bought a spare K-01 to do some timelapse movies.
12-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It all depends on how they specify the camera, the market spot and price point that they want to fill. I hope that they have found that even at its relatively high introductory price and disappointing lack of sales, Pentax learned something. At the right price, folks appear to really like the camera. It is a different concept, however very capable and useful. Design it with the right capabilities, build it right, price it right and it will sell itself.

12-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I suspect that the K-01 successor and the 'K-3' (or whatever the next camera hey kick out) will me a merger of the K-01 concept and the K-5. Gonna gamble on the idea, but I think we could see a full frame MILC out as the next 'big' Pentax release.

Mirrorless, full frame, and utilizing focus peaking and all the quirks that make the K-01 interesting along with what makes a DSLR so desirable.

12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I suspect that the K-01 successor and the 'K-3' (or whatever the next camera hey kick out) will me a merger of the K-01 concept and the K-5. Gonna gamble on the idea, but I think we could see a full frame MILC out as the next 'big' Pentax release.

Mirrorless, full frame, and utilizing focus peaking and all the quirks that make the K-01 interesting along with what makes a DSLR so desirable.
I think the biggest change for a larger mirrorless would be along the lines of a 645D.
12-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax will not release another EVIL in anything smaller than 645 format or larger than 1/2.3".

A FF EVIL would require a new mount, and Pentax can't afford to alienate any users.
12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
I'm curious, for myself, I am hoping it will have the size & capability of the Sony NEX-5 series (1080-60p) and be able to use all my K mount glass.

Any rumours what it's replacement will be called, what it will look like, etc?

What are others out there hoping it will be like?

Just wondering..
They implied in some of the press that the K-01 was sort of a one off type thing. I hope what they meant by that is the were going to "off" Newson.
12-22-2012, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Rumors about a K-02 are on the way. This is how the replacement might look like:
http://creativelines.ca/xx-sharingPhotos/jks-PentaxK-02.png
12-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Rumors about a K-02 are on the way. This is how the replacement might look like:
http://creativelines.ca/xx-sharingPhotos/jks-PentaxK-02.png
I think this may be a fake. Thats way too ergonomic.
12-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I think this may be a fake. Thats way too ergonomic.
Definitely a fake - no K-mount.
12-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You think so!? Hmmm ... I still kind of like it .
12-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would be very, very surprised if there is a replacement. Let's face it - the K-01 flopped. Hard. Even if there are some of us that love the little brick (including me), selling a few hundred units at closeout prices didn't turn it into a success. Flops don't get followups. We haven't heard anything positive from Pentax regarding a successor - what comments we have heard were neutral or negative. There might be something similar in concept years down the road, but it probably won't be considered a K-01 successor. The K-01 filled a niche (mirrorless legacy mount), that didn't have a lot of demand. The K-mount forces it to be bigger than other mirrorless offerings with no room for features like articulated screens. Adding those features would make it the size of a dSLR - and they could be added just as easily to a dSLR.