Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Show us your OVF for your Q/K-01

We've had a good thread on the Q forum on accessories that has some terrific gear listed. I'm seeing a few people post about viewfinder options for their K-01 and we have discussed those in the Q forum. I thought it would be nice to see what folks have been using on each of the MILCs.

I've got a Tele-Wide OVF that came from a Yashica Accessory Lens Set that I really like and works well on both the K-01 and Q. Of course you have to have practice with it to know how much of what you see in the OVF is in frame but I have found that its easy to adjust to and saves a significant amount of battery on my Q

What OVF do you use with your Pentax MILC ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Russian style

01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Russian style
Looks like a revolver cylinder! Wonder what caliber....
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Looks like a revolver cylinder! Wonder what caliber....
"Brick caliber" .

01-11-2013, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tele-wide for my Q. These were once plentiful on eBay, I only see the accessory lenses without the viewfinder now
01-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Tele-wide for my Q. These were once plentiful on eBay, I only see the accessory lenses without the viewfinder now
I wonder why?
01-11-2013, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Tele-Wide also, as it is small, light, and inexpensive (it looks like it was bundled with numerous brands of conversion lens, including Yashica, Lentar, Kenko, Alpex, Anscor...) Tho' to be honest, after the initial fun of figuring out what focal lengths it mapped to, I haven't actually found a case where I had to use it.

02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

So using a metal based finder works without problems?
02-14-2013, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldbike Quote
So using a metal based finder works without problems?
The flash contacts in the center of the hotshoe are depressed and don't touch the base. The contacts that grip the sides of a hotshoe are both the same terminal.
02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #10

That is good news, I can use my old Leica III multi finder! Thanks.
05-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've got the OVF from my Q, which is for the 49mm (EQ) prime. I'm guessing I could fudge a bit with the DA 35mm Limited or the DA 35mm f/2.4 on the K-01 (4mm difference) or maybe even the DA 40 Limited (7mm difference). I wish I had an OVF that would work with the 30.5 mm view of the DA 21 Limited.
05-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have an old Tele Wide Finder from an old Petri camera around here somewhere... I haven't thought about using it with my K-01 before. Thanks for the idea, guys!

Now I have a question (it's probably a dumb one, so sorry), but when using one of these viewfinders with a mirrorless and a manual focus lens, since you don't see where the lens is focused in the viewfinder, are you just basically guessing if it is focused in the spot you intend it to be? Or do you use the focus distance scale on your lens, shoot at f/8 or higher so you get a large DOF, .is there some secret to shooting like this, ... ???
I'm just curious.

Last edited by Julie; 05-05-2013 at 08:16 PM.
05-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I have an old Tele Wide Finder from an old Petri camera around here somewhere... I haven't thought about using it with my K-01 before. Thanks for the idea, guys!

Now I have a question (it's probably a dumb one, so sorry), but when using one of these viewfinders with a mirrorless and a manual focus lens, since you don't see where the lens is focused in the viewfinder, are you just basically guessing if it is focused in the spot you intend it to be? Or do you use the focus distance scale on your lens, shoot at f/8 or higher so you get a large DOF, .is there some secret to shooting like this, ... ???
I'm just curious.
Use it with AF lenses or take advantage of the focus scale or use hyperfocal distance.
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

This probably isn't the place for this but i say - death to viewfinders, EVF's and OVF's. I recently tried swapping between the DS and the K-01. I just can't go back to a viewfinder. Perhaps it's age and my nearsightedness makes VF's inconvenient but I love doing photography via LiveView using the screen on the back. I've managed to make it work for outdoor sports photography as well using a sunshade over the screen. That might not cut it for professionals but it works well enough for my kids soccer games.

I'm also experimenting with an external monitor using the AV cable for composite video output for those times that the lack of an articulated screen is inconvenient.
12-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I need this visor! Can you say me where can I buy it? A reliable web.... thanks a lot!