Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry you didn't like it. The firmware updates for both the camera and lenses make a big difference. To each their own, but ripoff is not accurate. The adapter has a shutter, iris controls, etc. It's a bit pricey but it does things no other adapter does and those of us that are happily using our Qs with K mount lenses see it as a big addition. Have a Nice Day.

I believe rip off is accurate and as long as some people are paying the ridiculous high price the price will remain. If this Q camera was so hot there wouldn't be so many of them around selling for dirt cheap compared to original MSRP.

I expect this adapter to be a limited number produced item built in low numbers to save production cost and max to ensure a limited quick sell for max profitability or the price of it will drop just like the Q camera did.

The 5.5x crop factor is terribly hard to work with for most every day photo opportunities and mixed with K mount lenses the camera becomes even more annoying to use. I can see this working out for telphoto usage only on a tripod with subjects that barely move. So its a nice item to have for those situations but for this kind of money I think buying a nicer real DSLR body and playing with lenses will be a much better route to go.

01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Wait, there are firmware updates for the Q *lenses* too? What do those do?

Yes. Each lens has its own firmware to maximize performance. I did the firmware updates and they didn't work very well.
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
I did the firmware updates and they didn't work very well.
The update or the lens?
01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Wait, there are firmware updates for the Q *lenses* too? What do those do?
Yes, they update the electronics and gizmos in the 01 and 02 and maybe in the future the 06. In your menu got to Wrench /3/Firmware version info
If you have a 01,02,06 lens mounted it will tell you what version you are running for that lens. I believe 01 and 02 lenses should be at version 1.01

01-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Yes, they update the electronics and gizmos in the 01 and 02 and maybe in the future the 06. In your menu got to Wrench /3/Firmware version info
If you have a 01,02,06 lens mounted it will tell you what version you are running for that lens. I believe 01 and 02 lenses should be at version 1.01
You are correct, and each improved performance of the Camera+Lens combo.
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #51
Veteran Member

The Q I've been taking with me all the time, because it fits in my pocket. I bought it to replace my Optio point and shoot. It handles just like the K-01 or like the K-x (except the damndable delete and play buttons are reversed)... but I've thus far not been terribly impressed. The dynamic range is lacking even at ISO 125 (blue skies are often white, or land features too dark), where the K-x and K-01 have no problems exposing everything nicely. But the real kicker is the ISO performance... or lack thereof. It's no better than the Optio RZ-10 in that regard. ISO800 is about as high as you want to go. At 1600 things start to look muddy.

Charles.
Sounds like you are shooting jpeg - have you tried raw?

The reason I am commenting on jpeg vs. raw here is that I've tried a few different small sensor cameras over the past year. It seems the noise reduction and sharpening with these cameras really puts a hit on the image quality compared to the same on APS-C sensor cameras. Before you give up on the Q, why not try some different settings with the noise reduction and/or sharpening, or even better yet, shoot some raw.

I will admit that when shooting with the native lenses, I keep my ISO set for the highest of 400. I think you will see a difference in the 01 prime being it is quite a bit faster and you will be able to keep your ISO lower. Same goes for the very nice 06 zoom which is a constant f2.8. Again, with these small sensor cameras, you don't have as much latitude with your settings to get a nice clean image. I will agree that I can shoot with my K-5 in raw all day long at ISO 3200 or 6400 if I want and can reasonably clean up the images - that just isn't going to happen with the Q.
01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, I don't shoot raw. I don't have software that can clean up noise in raw files any better than what the camera does when shooting jpeg, so I don't see the point of shooting raw. I'm not about to drop a bajillion dollars on photoshop, so I stick with jpeg.

Charles.
01-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #53
Veteran Member

No, I don't shoot raw. I don't have software that can clean up noise in raw files any better than what the camera does when shooting jpeg, so I don't see the point of shooting raw. I'm not about to drop a bajillion dollars on photoshop, so I stick with jpeg.

Charles.
Understood, but it doesn't cost you a bajillion dollars when you have the free software that came with your camera......

01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Silkypix doesn't do any better at noise removal than the in-camera jpeg. Unless I'm missing something entirely.

Charles.
01-16-2013, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #55

Jeez... I can walk into a shop and get it here in the Antipodes for $199. It must be the only time ever that Australians aren't getting hosed down at retail...

Anyway, the Q fever is just that. It's not really rational. The gear-heads just don't get it and never will. You can't look at the specs and say it is a great camera because, well, everyone knows a tiny sensor like that just cannot take a good picture. But y'know what? Mine takes great pictures all the time. Pictures I just couldn't get with my DSLR because my K5 is either at home, or it just isn't handy enough or my subject would freak out if I raised a big black DSLR at them. Or sometimes it takes great pictures in its own right because it is, in spite of all those numbers, just a great little camera.

So, my advice to the OP is this; ditch the analysis, feel the love and buy a Q. At $200 you cannot lose and you may just find an all new way to enjoy your photography... with the heart and not the head.
01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
guys still waiting on my new toy but just got my pentax scope...how do you attach it to the camera and how do you use it
amy
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
guys still waiting on my new toy but just got my pentax scope...how do you attach it to the camera and how do you use it
amy
Don't have one myself, but this may be a good place to start and ask questions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/185934-new-pentax-red-dot-finder-q-da-300-img.html
01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
guys still waiting on my new toy but just got my pentax scope...how do you attach it to the camera and how do you use it amy
You will need to get the hot shoe to scope rail adapter from Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight

See the thread Stan pointed to above for more info. Maybe I will do a quick video on how to set it up if I get some time.
01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You will need to get the hot shoe to scope rail adapter from Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight

See the thread Stan pointed to above for more info. Maybe I will do a quick video on how to set it up if I get some time.
stan and larry you guys are awesome!!!!!
01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Don't have one myself, but this may be a good place to start and ask questions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/185934-new-pentax-red-dot-finder-q-da-300-img.html
stan and larry you guys are awesome!!!!!