Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I still have two original Q bodies (one black one white) but snagged a Q7 and an 06 lens a while back, and that's a great combo for me. Ended up with photoshop too. I take the Q system with me on motorcycle trips, because it packs small and still allows me to be creative with my shooting. I really love the fisheye and pinhole lenses, but the 06 and 01 combo are my normal go-to lenses for the Q. I'm happy with the whole setup. I still like my K-01 better, but it takes up so much room in a saddlebag, especially with my Tamron 28-75, that I don't often take it into the wilderness on the bike. And it's so heavy I never, ever taking it hiking. The Q comes for that too.

Sometimes I wonder if I might have been better off with a Pentax MX-1 or an Olympus XZ-2 for lightweight travel, though.

Charles.

03-14-2021, 01:33 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get the 02 lens too. so that you can bring along 01, 02 and 06 with your Q7 or Q.
03-18-2021, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i see the price dropping...everyone buying it...like it because its fun...5.5 crop factor, small, etc...but i have to be missing something...i have had my caffeine so i may still not get it...ok you buy a q now with the 02 lens for about $250...then if you want to put on a pentax lens you already have you need the adapter ? for $200...then maybe the red laser scope or whatever you call it another $100 so about $550 total...and then don't you have to manual focus the pentax lens to have them work? i want to make sure i don't miss out on a great deal...i've read lots of reviews and i still can figure out what i'm missing...just call me dumbfounded
amy
Are you still wondering??

Simply speaking it is a complete camera in almost any form.
You don't have to purchase any extra stuff, although I personally did include a Hoodman loupe in my pricing so I could see in normal daylight,
03-19-2021, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are you still wondering??

Simply speaking it is a complete camera in almost any form.
You don't have to purchase any extra stuff, although I personally did include a Hoodman loupe in my pricing so I could see in normal daylight,

not wondering at all. Love the camera with the q-k adapter and 500mm lens. have gotten pictures I would never have been able to. wish they still sold it

05-08-2021, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
not wondering at all. Love the camera with the q-k adapter and 500mm lens. have gotten pictures I would never have been able to. wish they still sold it
Yes, I have gotten pictures with my Q-7 using a lens at 3oomm that I would have never gotten with my K-30, but I have to admit I use my Q-7 less in the 2-1/2 years since I got a KP; manual focusing is not easy - I really wish Pentax’s K-to-Q adapter passed through signals so that autofocus were possible with KAF3-KAF4 lenses
06-01-2021, 05:01 AM   #81
Pentaxian

A Q7 updated with a rear LCD of the same quality as the K3 would bring it almost up to date as a mini-DSLR.
06-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Q series should scale up to the 1" sensor using the same mount and auto crop for lenses that don't fill the larger image circle.

In the meantime, I just dusted it off and preparing for it to do macro again and also bought 2 new batteries to venture to shooting with it more.

06-04-2021, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I plan to dust mine off, and put it on my DA560. I can just imagine the 3000 mm (full frame equivalent) on the 10 MP sensor. I have shot with lenses up to 300mm before but you really need to be careful with purple fringing.

My best shots so far are using my vivitar series 1 70-210;3.5 (first version)
06-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
A Q7 updated with a rear LCD of the same quality as the K3 would bring it almost up to date as a mini-DSLR.
but without an EVF, you still would not have a viewfinder ..... unless you double it’s size by adding a ‘Hoodman’.
EVF would be needed to make it “modern”.
06-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #85
Pentaxian

but without an EVF, you still would not have a viewfinder ..... unless you double it’s size by adding a ‘Hoodman’.
EVF would be needed to make it “modern”.
I use and recommend this product; much more compact than a 'hoodman':

ClearView Product page

- it works great but is let down by the poor resolution of the Q7 screen.
06-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know there are reasons why it won't happen, but I do wish the Q system would come back and we could get new products. My Q7 remains a favorite, but it does show its age. It could really benefit from updated components: processor, LCD, sensor. That's without even considering maybe an EVF version, or a monochrome version, either of which would be cool IMHO. And I'd love to finally get that 09 telephoto-macro lens that was teased.

Pentax want to focus on DSLRs, and that's fine. But the Q is unique. It doesn't compete with DSLRs, and it really doesn't compete directly against other mirrorless systems. It is its own thing. Granted it's a small thing, a niche, a cult, but it's Pentax's cult if they want to own it.
06-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I use and recommend this product; much more compact than a 'hoodman':

ClearView Product page

- it works great but is let down by the poor resolution of the Q7 screen.
It looks like it won’t block the sun - blocking light from the sun is one of the main benefits I get from using the ‘Hoodman’.
06-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #88
Pentaxian

It looks like it won’t block the sun - blocking light from the sun is one of the main benefits I get from using the ‘Hoodman’.
From Clearview's FAQs:

*If there's no hood, how is it going to help in bright sun?
With your eye less than 2 inches (50mm) away from the camera, much of the ambient light is already blocked, or outside of your field of view.* If glare enters from the side, it's easily blocked with your hand; you can even form a "hood" with your free hand, when needed.* Your eye sees only the screen, and it adjusts itself to that light.
06-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #89
Pentaxian

From Clearview's FAQs:

*If there's no hood, how is it going to help in bright sun?
With your eye less than 2 inches (50mm) away from the camera, much of the ambient light is already blocked, or outside of your field of view.* If glare enters from the side, it's easily blocked with your hand; you can even form a "hood" with your free hand, when needed.* Your eye sees only the screen, and it adjusts itself to that light.
In practice, that won't work so well -- the sun always wins.
06-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
In practice, that won't work so well -- the sun always wins.
I use the clearviewer on my Q7 and I live in Western Australia where the sun is often very bright - and I find it works very well indeed!