Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trying to understand the Q fever

i see the price dropping...everyone buying it...like it because its fun...5.5 crop factor, small, etc...but i have to be missing something...i have had my caffeine so i may still not get it...ok you buy a q now with the 02 lens for about $250...then if you want to put on a pentax lens you already have you need the adapter ? for $200...then maybe the red laser scope or whatever you call it another $100 so about $550 total...and then don't you have to manual focus the pentax lens to have them work? i want to make sure i don't miss out on a great deal...i've read lots of reviews and i still can figure out what i'm missing...just call me dumbfounded
amy

01-11-2013, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i see the price dropping...everyone buying it...like it because its fun...5.5 crop factor, small, etc...but i have to be missing something...i have had my caffeine so i may still not get it...ok you buy a q now with the 02 lens for about $250...then if you want to put on a pentax lens you already have you need the adapter ? for $200...then maybe the red laser scope or whatever you call it another $100 so about $550 total...and then don't you have to manual focus the pentax lens to have them work? i want to make sure i don't miss out on a great deal...i've read lots of reviews and i still can figure out what i'm missing...just call me dumbfounded
amy
The camera on it's own is a neat little thing, especially at the current prices.
The adapter can be a Fotodiox for $30, doesn't have to be a Pentax, but there are definite advantages to the Pentax.
Yes you do have to manual focus and red dot finder is helpful but not required.
When adapting K mount to the Q the big advantage is being able to convert your 300mm lens into a 1650mm lens, or 500mm (hint hint) into a 2750mm lens.
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

amy
If you are only interested in compact & fun -- being able to shoot decent pictures anywhere you go, then you need the Q, a lens or two (in Q mount), and that's that. It is only if you want super-telephoto for birds/wildlife/etc that you'd want the other adapters and finders, in which case it is still cheaper (by far) than any solution that would give you similar reach on a conventional (bigger) SLR. Although your biggest investment is still going to be in the DA 300 or whatever you put on it, but just try to buy a 1650mm lens for less than a gazillion.
01-11-2013, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's just fun so to use, it's like a playful mini-DSLR. You can pay 30$ for an adapter if you want, most us don't use the genuine one.

01-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's not hard to understand - smaller, lighter, great Pentax build quality with LOTS of features, $20 adapter will allow it to use K mount lenses, IQ is good, it makes people smile when you pull it out, you can get it for $199 with lens these days, and on and on and on.
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Not to mention I find it quite good for video too.
01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's not hard to understand - smaller, lighter, great Pentax build quality with LOTS of features, $20 adapter will allow it to use K mount lenses, IQ is good, it makes people smile when you pull it out, you can get it for $199 with lens these days, and on and on and on.
doc where can you get it for 199

01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

doc where can you get it for 199
Both those deals are done, now that I look (I already own a Q and 3 lenses). There have been 3 such deals in the last 60 days or so as I recall. I just sold a body + all accessories - lens BNIB kit for $175 to recoup some of my cost. For someone that wants to use it with their K lenses that's another way to go. I post them when I find them to the Price Watch forum, as do many others, so keep an eye out there if you are interested.

ShopNBC still has them for $246 - with 6 easy monthly payments ($42) + the Pentax Extended Warranty. I got one of those and it's a pretty fair deal IMHO.
http://www.shopnbc.com/offer/?offercode=434-344&rap=3505&chid=ciGBips&ci_src...ci_sku=434-344
01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Both those deals are done, now that I look (I already own a Q and 3 lenses). There have been 3 such deals in the last 60 days or so as I recall. I just sold a body + all accessories - lens BNIB kit for $175 to recoup some of my cost. For someone that wants to use it with their K lenses that's another way to go. I post them when I find them to the Price Watch forum, as do many others, so keep an eye out there if you are interested.

ShopNBC still has them for $246 - with 6 easy monthly payments ($42) + the Pentax Extended Warranty. I got one of those and it's a pretty fair deal IMHO.
Pentax Q 12.4MP 3" LCD Screen Digital Camera w/ Zoom Lens Kit & 8GB SD Card ShopNBC.com
thank doc! is the warranty the one that isn't any good in the commonwealth of virginia
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

thank doc! is the warranty the one that isn't any good in the commonwealth of virginia
Only because your state legislature believes you to be so insipidly gullible that they must protect you from the ravages of extended warranties.
01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
LOL..i did call myself dumbfounded
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

LOL..i did call myself dumbfounded
Hey, it's not me - blame your state legislature for thinking the citizens of Virginia have to be protected from $19 2 year extended warranties that are killer deals.
01-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The funny part is that all Qs I see in the forum are used with long telephotos, scopes and other gadgetry, when the system was designed with a completely different idea in mind!
01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
i want to make sure i don't miss out on a great deal...i've read lots of reviews and i still can figure out what i'm missing...just call me dumbfounded
amy
Here's my take...

When the Q came out and I read about it I thought it was the dumbest idea a camera company ever came up with. I figured there was no way it could be any good so I filed it under my "who cares" file and went on with life.

Flash forward to December 2012. Every other year I upgrade my Canon G series compact. This wasn't the year so I bought a K-01 when they dropped in price. The next day I found out about the shopNBC deal on the Q and for some reason revisited it. After researching it I found that people were liking it. I also found out about the firmware upgrade that gave it focus peaking like the K-01. One thing I've always disliked about the Canon Gs are that they are difficult to manual focus. The price was only a little more than I paid for my I-10 (Bad IQ but small and cute) so I decided to try it out.

Here it is now a month later and the K-01 goes mostly unused. I've taken it out and love what it's capable of. But when I walk out the door and grab a camera it's always the Q. I bought the I-10 to be my carry everywhere camera and used it as such for awhile but found myself always wishing I had a better camera with me when I used it. Not so with the Q. It's small enough to always carry and the IQ is almost as good as my K10D. For low light it's even better. I haven't been disappointed with a single shot. I will not be upgrading my Canon G12 this year. As long as Pentax stays with the Q, so will I.

So that's my take on Q fever. I'm very happy that I decided to give it a chance. But if you don't want to chance it and need a compact camera I've got a G12 I'd part with .
01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It's also still available from Target Online for $249 with free shipping. If you have a Red card you can save another 5% as I recall too.
Pentax Q 12.4MP Digital Camera with 02 Zoom Lens... : Target