Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
doc do you mean the normal foot that comes on the 300? thanks, amy
Yes. That one will, apparently, fit on the K-Q adapter too. Right now the only place in the US to get one is through Pentax Parts Dept as a special order. Although there are rumors that they are packaged and for sale in Japan as accessories.

01-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks doc...want to make sure i have everything so when my baby gets here i can have some fun!!!
01-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #33
Veteran Member

thanks doc...want to make sure i have everything so when my baby gets here i can have some fun!!!
If you put a DA*300 on it - you are in for some fun, that's for sure. That lens seems to be one of the best on the Q from the posts in the various threads. I'm having fun with my Viv85/1.4 on it, although I do wish I had a better/stronger tripod ring for the setup.
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i am looking forward to seeing what it can do...the things you and larry and a few others have done will help me get started in the right direction...amy

01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

i am looking forward to seeing what it can do...the things you and larry and a few others have done will help me get started in the right direction...amy
For me, the single most useful Q Forum Thread has to be this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/189966-what-q-accessories-worth.html
01-12-2013, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I'm a little late finding your thread Amy. By the looks of it, you've caught the Q fever from the regulars - congrats on your incoming Q!

I hesitated for quite a while before getting one. My biggest fear was of myself and another excuse for LBA. My intentions when I finally bought it was to sell the kit lens, and have the body to use with my K-mount lenses. The body only plus the Fotodiox adapter I was into it for $99.

I kept reading about the build quality and folks saying that you won't believe it or love it until you hold it in your hands. Well, I can honestly say that they were right. I don't know what it is - maybe the magnesium body like the K-5 - but once I held it and ran through some of the controls, I was hooked. Another big bonus are the control buttons and menu - all genuine Pentax and you will find your way around quickly and easily.

Started shooting with the kit zoom (02 lens) - really nice. But....I told myself that I would sell the kit lens, and trying to follow through with my plan and did just that. Then I received my $30 adapter and started shooting with my FA*300 4.5 - what a blast! I finally have some super reach to get those critters down at the river.

Fast forward a little, I now own the 01 prime lens and 06 zoom - what does that tell you......?

I'm pretty confident that you will like the Q. Even if you don't and change your mind, I pretty sure you will be able to sell it for what you bought it for once the super deals are gone.

Q fever - there really is such a thing in Pentax land!
01-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #37
Forum Member

I don't get it either. I actually bought one for the low price but ended up returning it because it doesn't take very good photographs and is hard to use. I think it needs alot of work on the software to make it work right. It doesn't quite work well as a P&S and is too hard to focus as a small mini wannabe DSLR. Then the official K adapter for it is a rip off and I doubt it works very well since the regular mini lenses didn't work well for me. I'm glad I tried it to see how it worked out and I had high hopes for it but it wasn't a very good camera and I returned it.

Last edited by SonDa5; 01-14-2013 at 04:47 AM.
01-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As you already own the DA*300 you don't need "the foot".
Have fun Amy.
01-14-2013, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q fever is an interesting thing. I doubt there were many people on here who were more vocal hating the Q than me. I just didn't *get* it. If you are a pixel peeper or look to a camera as a pure tool, and you don't have a passion for finely made tools (toys?) then you probably won't like a Q.

Unfortunately, while the Q may be a "fever", when it comes to owning things Pentax, I am full blown disabled and should be on workman's compensation or long term disability.

When I held a Q, I was hooked and I've never looked back. The Q fits into my extensive kit and goes with me everywhere. The Q has some serious issues, but I seem to be able to look past them - finally - and really love the camera.

I love the expensive K - Q adapter because of the quality and the fact that I now have a tool that can make my CAT lenses work with an aperture and a 5.5x crop factor! Not to mention all the other lenses I have.

The Q is FUN.
01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I've always wanted a Q since it was introduced, but it was way too spendy. Thanks to the $250 ShopNBC deal I finally have one (and so does my wife.) and we absolutely love 'em. Though the image quality isn't up to the standards of my K-x, it's still quite good. I also find it very intuitive to use, thanks to the same menu layout as Pentax DSLRs. Focus peaking makes manual focusing MUCH easier.

Right now I have the Fotodiox adapter, but I would like to snag the genuine Pentax K adapter some time in the future for the leaf shutter. I'm thinking the Pentax adapter would make it easier to take jelly-free handheld shots with the shorter K zooms, (my Pentax-A 35-105 for instance) which would be a very good thing.

The Q might not be for everyone, but I have no complaints. :-)
01-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
mine is in shipment somewhere so maybe i will have it waiting when i get home...one thing i have been thinking about...we talk about the 5.5 crop factor based on the normal film camera but doesn't the pentax k5 have a crop factor of about 1.5 so in the end we are only getting a factor of 3? another one of those things i can't seem to wrap my head around..in any case i am looking forward to it and i have seen what it can do..i expect it to have a learning curve so although i would love to have it give me immediate gratification i am willing to work for that outcome
i am looking forward to showing you my crappy pictures and then hopefully some that are really beauties...thanks for all the info...this forum is absolutely awesome and i have interacted with so many wonderful/helpful people...i can say without a fact i am a better photographer because of it...kudos to all and especially adam and his other supporters that help to make this site so helpful!!!
amy
01-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

mine is in shipment somewhere so maybe i will have it waiting when i get home...one thing i have been thinking about...we talk about the 5.5 crop factor based on the normal film camera but doesn't the pentax k5 have a crop factor of about 1.5 so in the end we are only getting a factor of 3?
Yes, comparing the crop factor to our APS-C would be ~3. Someone has mentioned the exact factor before, but I don't get all that technical with it. I do know that it is a lot of fun to be able to shoot at such a longer distance than before.
01-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yes, comparing the crop factor to our APS-C would be ~3. Someone has mentioned the exact factor before, but I don't get all that technical with it. I do know that it is a lot of fun to be able to shoot at such a longer distance than before.
stan i agree and am looking forward to trying to get a picture of a bird that doesn't care i'm watching him...thanks for the clarification..amy
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
I don't get it either. I actually bought one for the low price but ended up returning it because it doesn't take very good photographs and is hard to use. I think it needs alot of work on the software to make it work right. It doesn't quite work well as a P&S and is too hard to focus as a small mini wannabe DSLR. Then the official K adapter for it is a rip off and I doubt it works very well since the regular mini lenses didn't work well for me. I'm glad I tried it to see how it worked out and I had high hopes for it but it wasn't a very good camera and I returned it.
Sorry you didn't like it. The firmware updates for both the camera and lenses make a big difference. To each their own, but ripoff is not accurate. The adapter has a shutter, iris controls, etc. It's a bit pricey but it does things no other adapter does and those of us that are happily using our Qs with K mount lenses see it as a big addition. Have a Nice Day.
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Wait, there are firmware updates for the Q *lenses* too? What do those do?

I bought a Q shortly after buying the K-01, and the K-01 is by far my favorite camera, hands down, that I've ever used. I haven't touched my K-x since buying it.

The Q I've been taking with me all the time, because it fits in my pocket. I bought it to replace my Optio point and shoot. It handles just like the K-01 or like the K-x (except the damndable delete and play buttons are reversed)... but I've thus far not been terribly impressed. The dynamic range is lacking even at ISO 125 (blue skies are often white, or land features too dark), where the K-x and K-01 have no problems exposing everything nicely. But the real kicker is the ISO performance... or lack thereof. It's no better than the Optio RZ-10 in that regard. ISO800 is about as high as you want to go. At 1600 things start to look muddy.

This is a big deal, because even with FAST K-mount lenses, you're still shooting super-telephoto, which means a high ISO is required to get a hand-holdable shutter speed even in the best of light. The 02 zoom lens is also very slow, and not suited to low light photography at all. I'm hoping the 01 prime will make a difference in that regard.

That being said, the camera is an absolute pleasure to use, and at $200-$250, it's a bargain. I especially love the dial on the front, and sincerely wish my K-01 had that feature. I have it set to various color modes, so I can switch between black and white, reversal film, bleach bypass, and cross-process very easily.

My jury is still out until I receive the 01 prime (should be delivered friday) and have some time to work with it. Camera is a little big even for a jacket pocket with the 02 zoom, so I'll probably be more comfortable taking it out with the 01 attached. And I hope the extra stop or two will make a big difference with low light performance. I mean, the difference between 800 and 1600 is staggering, as is the difference between 1600 and 3200, so even one stop will be a big deal.

So, yeah, I'm on the fence still. I love the handling and the usage, but there are image issues that I'm still struggling with. When the conditions are right, it takes great photos. But I tend to shoot in less than ideal conditions. Sometimes much, much less than ideal.

Charles.