Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I want to know how it is supposed to make a lens sharper, that just seems to be impossible.
It minimizes flaws. Also see:

LensRentals.com - Metabones Magic?

The corners are indeed sharper in those sample shots. What looks less good to me is the CA in the center - might be a focusing difference though.

02-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #17

I read the same article and was just about to post the same idea. It seems incredibly compelling to me. With a plain extension tube style adapter you can use the DA lenses just like you do now on the K-01, but when you swap out the extension tube for a focal length reducer / Speed Bosster style adapter you get to use full-frame lenses at their normal focal length and get the increased maximum aperture. Throw in an add-on EVF and you'd have one heck of a mirrorless camera. With the Speed Booster and EVF as optional add-ons, it wouldn't even have to be any larger or more expensive than a K-01. This could really get Pentax a foothold in the MILC market.
04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You know... I do think we need, or Pentax needs, a new mirrorless lens mount. The K-01 showed just about how small a digital camera can be with the K-mount, and it's still somewhat awkward. Other companies are offering good performance in smaller form factors. At the same time the Q is always going to be limited optically by its tiny sensor size. A shortened version of the K-mount would make a lot of sense. They might call it Pentax-S, for Short. And obviously there would be an adaptor for the whole enormous back catalog of K lenses.

A simple adaptor (rather than the costly "speed booster") plus a couple of S lenses would be enough to launch the system, and it could grow from there.
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is an interesting product. I wonder how far this device and lens combinations can be pushed. I know Samyang lenses are highly regarded (very sharp, relatively cheap, and have full frame coverage). So if you own a Sony Nex, the speed booster, and a Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens, you get an effective 10mm f2 lens. Or you can turn the 24mm f1.4 into 17mm f1.0. Am I understanding this right? I know some people don't see the point in using an UWA lens wide open at such fast apertures. But as someone who loves wide-field astrophotography (milky way, aurora, meteors) I would be interested in seeing test pictures from such a setup. Also the Canon EF lens to Sony Nex speedbooster seems like the best option for the biggest lens selection. I've never even heard of Alpa or Contarex. Speed Booster

04-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contrary to my earlier sentiment, if an adapter was fully capable, on the right camera I would use it. I learned this lesson by trying the Q for K converter with my K series lenses. Once learned, it can actually be made to work very nicely. The key is to engineer the adapter for the users who would use it, to make using legacy lenses logical and effective. I'm guessing fitting the screwdrive motor into the adapter is a challenge.

COntrary to the aphorism, an old dog an still learn things.
06-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #21
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was just thinking about the focal reducer and started imagining the following camera. It's kind of related to this thread.

It's a large K-mount mirrorless body, probably bigger than the K-5. It has a focal reducer that can slide sideways in and out of the optical path at the press of a button. I would imagine that it would have an EVF and would be positioned above the K-5. It would focus like the K-01 or using some kind of on-sensor PDAF.

Advantages
- It would provide some of the benefits of a full frame camera (FOV and perceived DOF)
- Unlike a true FF camera, existing lenses and FF lenses would yield the same file size
- If you put a lens like the FA35 on it, you could switch between moderate wide angle and normal at the press of a button

Drawbacks
- It would probably be criticised as a "fake" FF by many
- It would not match true FF for low light ability
- It would be large and bit complicated
- Battery life would be shorter than a reflex camera, but not necessarily worse than the K-01

I don't know how feasible it is, but I personally would be really interested in a camera like this if it were implemented well.