Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
just did it again...augh....turned it off...the dust removal sounded weak...turned back on and it was good again...one other thing that i can't figure out...i can't get the av bias screen to show up...it did it when i first got it but nothing i can do in manual mode will pull the screen up

01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
just did it again...augh....turned it off...the dust removal sounded weak...turned back on and it was good again...one other thing that i can't figure out...i can't get the av bias screen to show up...it did it when i first got it but nothing i can do in manual mode will pull the screen up
In M, if you have the ISO set to AUTO it will not show the EV scale.
Set the ISO to a fixed value.

Also - see Q manual pages 75 and 76 for an explanation of what features are available with each dial setting. EV compensation is not an option in M.

Last edited by crewl1; 01-24-2013 at 07:06 PM.
01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i think i figured it out...the adapter is periodically getting stuck closed...showers do wonders to clear your head...i kept hearing the sound that sound like a flopping mirror and then looked at the adapter and that is the sound i hear...so i looked at it when it was working right and it is open as you would expect..then i looked at it when the lcd went black and it is closed...so question is, is there anything that i can do to help the adapter or do i need to send back for another?
when it works it looks like this

IMGP0580
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGP0580 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and when it doesn't it looks like this

IMGP0579
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGP0579 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
In M, if you have the ISO set to AUTO it will not show the EV scale.
Set the ISO to a fixed value.

Also - see Q manual pages 75 and 76 for an explanation of what features are available with each dial setting. EV compensation is not an option in M.
thank you...that makes sense

01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

i think i figured it out...the adapter is periodically getting stuck closed...showers do wonders to clear your head...i kept hearing the sound that sound like a flopping mirror and then looked at the adapter and that is the sound i hear...so i looked at it when it was working right and it is open as you would expect..then i looked at it when the lcd went black and it is closed...so question is, is there anything that i can do to help the adapter or do i need to send back for another?

IMGP0580
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGP0580 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and when it doesn't it looks like this

IMGP0579
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGP0579 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I would send it back, it is a precision device that I think can only be made worse by untrained persons messing with it. Sorry, that's a bummer.
Hopefully your store can send you a replacement right away.
01-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks larry...disappointing because i wanted to play this weekend but it is going back today and i will get another on tuesday...at least i found what it was...it was driving me crazy...thanks to everyone for suggestions..amy
01-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

thanks larry...disappointing because i wanted to play this weekend but it is going back today and i will get another on tuesday...at least i found what it was...it was driving me crazy...thanks to everyone for suggestions..amy
Sorry about your weekend plans, Amy, but glad to hear they will take care of you quickly.
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter

had a blackout with mine as well,but only a cheap Oly adapter was on..had to pull battery for 10 sec then it came back,can't remember if shutter speed was very long or very high ISO? only happened once so far..Q is only 4 weeks old

01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Long exposures are deceptive with the Q because it shows no indications and looks like it is dead.

But if you wait it out it rewards.

It threw me at first as I thought it was malfunctioning.
01-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
larry i have the replacement now so hopefully i will be able to put it to test this weekend
01-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Excellent, I look forward to your results.
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

[HL]
Does this mean the camera controls the diaphragm on the Pentax K to Q adapter? If so, the hefty price tag for the adapter seem justifiable.
08-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I realize this is an old thread, but the genuine PK-PQ adapter I've only had less than two weeks is doing exactly what Amy's was doing above. I wonder if they had a bad run? I'm going to send mine back Monday.
08-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
I realize this is an old thread, but the genuine PK-PQ adapter I've only had less than two weeks is doing exactly what Amy's was doing above. I wonder if they had a bad run? I'm going to send mine back Monday.
Sorry to hear. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
08-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Sorry to hear. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Thanks Larry. This is the 4th one of these adapters that I've read about exhibiting the same behavior. Yet others have reported no issues. I know I'd be losing functionality, but I'm tempted to just get my money back and order the Fotodiox adapter. Unfortunately, I also have a DA* tripod foot for the adapter on a slow boat from Japan.