Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
problem with my q or pentax adapter????

i have something going on with the q...i think it may be the pentax adapter but not positive...i used the q lens this weekend and the camera worked fine...i shipped my 02 lens off for a trade so was planning to use this time to play with my real lens...this is what is happening:
i turn camera on
set to lens mm
evrything sets up properly
able to see through viewfinder
i take 1 picture that looks fine
then screen goes black
no longer able to use lcd
i pull the battery
turn camera back on
get 1 picture
and then i am back to black

i have tried using different lens, taking adapter off and putting back on but no matter what i do i get one picture and its gone...
any suggestions?
thanks, amy

01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which adapter? I haven't encountered any thing like that.
01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Which adapter? I haven't encountered any thing like that.
it is the pentax q for k mount lens adapter
01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
it is the pentax q for k mount lens adapter
But which brand, original? Still it sounds extremely weird. Do you have the latest firmware (sounds like it as yoou qoute entering focal length)?

01-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images.html

Take a look at this thread above and perhaps you can find some answers from the knowledgeable folks there.

Cheers!

JP
01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Fully charged battery? Clean contacts? Seated properly?
01-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Amy I have not seen that. I tried to re-create by using the info button to turn off the LCD, but when I turn camera off-on it comes right back.
As Docrwm suggests, check the battery charge state.
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Another thought - is the exposure really long so that it looks like the camera is dead but is actually just waiting for the image to expose?

01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Fully charged battery? Clean contacts? Seated properly?
hey doc, it is definitely strange...the battery is fully charge...originally used non pentax and changed to pentax to make sure that wasn't it...still seeing intermittent outage...rechecked all settings...nothing out of the norm..then the camera took like 5 picts in a row before it did it...it actually sounds like a mirror changing direction...then it won't work...put the dust removal to activate when turned on and off and at first it worked for several and then turned dark amd now it is working again completely...very wierd...i will have to pay attention to see if i can pinpoint if anything makes it occur but right now i have no idea and it is working again....
01-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

hey doc, it is definitely strange...the battery is fully charge...originally used non pentax and changed to pentax to make sure that wasn't it...still seeing intermittent outage...rechecked all settings...nothing out of the norm..then the camera took like 5 picts in a row before it did it...it actually sounds like a mirror changing direction...then it won't work...put the dust removal to activate when turned on and off and at first it worked for several and then turned dark amd now it is working again completely...very wierd...i will have to pay attention to see if i can pinpoint if anything makes it occur but right now i have no idea and it is working again....
Sorry Amy. Please check the button connections between the camera and the adapter. You can wipe them off and see if that makes a difference. Occasionally when they are dirty or misaligned a lens can act in weird ways that seem similar to what you are experiencing.
01-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
larry normal exposure...actually got a lamp out and took several close up pictures of flowers under normal light conditions...shutter speed around 50 and iso 500-1000...also changed aperture dial on the adapter to different numbers and again seems to be still working...need to teat it under normal light but yet to get home in time...this weekend for sure and i can only hope it doesn't come back...
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry Amy. Please check the button connections between the camera and the adapter. You can wipe them off and see if that makes a difference. Occasionally when they are dirty or misaligned a lens can act in weird ways that seem similar to what you are experiencing.
doc now that you mention it i did take it apart and change the dial on the adapter and then put back together and that may have been when it started to work better and now it is rock solid...
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

doc now that you mention it i did take it apart and change the dial on the adapter and then put back together and that may have been when it started to work better and now it is rock solid...
Hmm, probably either some play in the alignment OR some schmutz on a contact that was dislodged. Those are the simple answers. Anyway, I'd still give both sets of contacts a good swipe with a cleaning cloth. Glad it has settled down for you.
01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good to hear it is working better. Fingers crossed for you.
If it makes you feel any better I have not had any issues like this with mine, and I swap from adapter to Q lenses at least once a day, so I don't see it as a common issue.
01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
spoke too soon...just did it once but stopped after that and i did take the iso up to 6400 so not sure if that has anything to do with it...going to go take a shower and will come back and check it again...larry i just looked at the video again and everything looks in line with what you have...thanks for sending it..amy