Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worth getting a K01 now?

Hi -
I started out several years ago using a K-x. I have the DA 15, 40 and 55-300 plus the FA 77.
Over the years, I have migrated away from Pentax and thus these lenses have been sitting around.
My K-x is a mess....I've tried everything to clean the mirror/sensor but when I shoot something at a high aperture
there's all kinds of gunk showing up.

I don't think I'll ever grade up to a higher level Pentax body but I love the pentax primes I have and am not sure that
I want to sell them yet. Do you think it would be worth to pick up a K-01 ($300 at BH now) and thus be able to keep shooting
Pentax for at least a couple of more years?

Thanks in advance!

03-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
For the price you really cannot lose.
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Man, buy a yellow K-01, stick that FA 77 on there, and LIVE
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It is a step up in many ways from the K-x, but realize that it ONLY does liveview for focusing. So, if you need speedy AF it is NOT the camera for you. Otherwise, its a competent camera despite its ungainly appearance and weird placement of buttons.

03-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lkjr Quote
Hi -
I started out several years ago using a K-x. I have the DA 15, 40 and 55-300 plus the FA 77.
Over the years, I have migrated away from Pentax and thus these lenses have been sitting around.
My K-x is a mess....I've tried everything to clean the mirror/sensor but when I shoot something at a high aperture
there's all kinds of gunk showing up.

I don't think I'll ever grade up to a higher level Pentax body but I love the pentax primes I have and am not sure that
I want to sell them yet. Do you think it would be worth to pick up a K-01 ($300 at BH now) and thus be able to keep shooting
Pentax for at least a couple of more years?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, get one before they're gone! Be sure to place your B&H order before noon on Monday for it to ship before the 10-day holiday.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

No question the k-01 is worth the month. Truly a huge step up in IQ over the k-x with the limitations as noted above, it is not a dslr and if you can get over that it takes excellent pictures.

But I would not give up on the k-x either, get it cleaned if you cannot do it yourself. That will not cost all that much and you have a considerable investment in Pentax lenses as it is.
03-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everyone...I think I will spring for a K-01. I saw a groupon ad a few weeks ago that had the body AND 40 xs for less than $300- but that is gone now....any thoughts on the odds of deals like this coming back soon at the major dealers? Seems like $300 for the body now is still a decent price.

I've tried pec pads and cleaning solutions...all to no avail...I cannot get rid of little black spots showing up all over in sky shots when I am at high aperatures.
Its a problem I've had from early on with the K-x. Should I send it in to Pentax for cleaning? Any idea what that would set me back?
03-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have other options for when you need a dSLR, I think you could have a lot of fun with your primes on the K-01. The 55-300 might be trickier to work with, but if the light is good, I think the 16MP sensor can get really squeeze the most out of the glass. You certainly can't get the sensor for that price anywhere else, even in a used body.

Since they are getting down to the bottom of the barrel for K-01 stock, I wouldn't gamble on getting a better deal.

03-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Don't wait for a better offer. Buy one NOW!
I bought mine over a year ago at introductory price and don't regret it at all. At $300 it has to be one of the best camera bargains on the planet.
03-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great camera, great pricing. Everything is a compromise, but this is a good one.
03-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Don't wait for a better offer. Buy one NOW!
I bought mine over a year ago at introductory price and don't regret it at all. At $300 it has to be one of the best camera bargains on the planet.
Yeah, at $300 it's an almost criminal steal. I am *loving* mine with primes, some of which are among your list also. It does make photography a "fun" in a new way for me, and it honestly produces photos of a remarkably high quality.

I paid about 300 Eur for mine - now having had it for a while, I feel that at even twice that price it'd have been a bargain.
03-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

A K-01 purchase makes as much sense now as it ever did. If the form and function set appeals to you, go for it.

Steve
03-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

You've heard all the technical arguments. The only camera I have that is more fun than the K-01 is the Q I got on the same sort of deals. And they both get the kind of "happy talk" from other camera people that I only get when using a film camera.
03-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
bvg

Photos: Albums
I have checked your pictures at flickr and think you was graded up to a higher level Pentax body long time ago (your love to Pentax' Ltds proves that even more). So you could buy K-01 now and start to save money for K-3 in future
03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the recommendations

No, I still only have the K-x body...

Long - very lucky - story of fate....I started with the K-x when it first came out late in 2009, in early 2011 I had just gotten the 40 and 77 on a trip to Italy. When I was there, the company that I was consulting for presented me with a D7000 and 18-105 as a gift! (All the guys there were Nikon/leica gear heads). Then by fate again, I found a mint 70-200 vrii at an absolute steal. I use that combo a lot for my daughter's gym meets (competitive), birding, portraits. At that point, the Pentax system started to sit. Last year I got bitten by the Xpro1.

I still am posting older shots with the Kx on my flickr site....I really love the old Tamron 90 mm non Di that I got for $200 for flower macros...it has a really unique look to the pics.

Am heading to the Calif coast and dont have anything really wide in the Nikon or Fuji systems lower than 18. The Fuji 14 is about $900! I was figuring the DA15 and that $300 for a new K01 body would be a nice dual purpose investment....grade up from the Kx.

I know, 3 camera systems!!! Someone shoot me.... NO wait,there's probably lots of you gear heads out there too!

Last edited by lkjr; 03-24-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: wordig edits