Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While feature-wise the cameras are very similar, the size/weight vs. image quality tradeoff is significant. I own both but the Q is what I've been carrying for the last few months. A multi-lens Q kit probably weighs less and takes up less space than the K-01 body alone. Ergonomically the K-01 is maybe only slightly better in the sense it fills the hands better. I feel that the K-01 is best suited for relatively compact primes and possibly compact zooms like the 18-55 and 50-200. If you're wanting to use any other zooms, it's probably time to bring the SLR.

The portability vs. quality tradeoff is a fundamental decision with photographic equipment. It really depends what you're doing, what your tolerance for compromise in either area is.

04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
While feature-wise the cameras are very similar, the size/weight vs. image quality tradeoff is significant. I own both but the Q is what I've been carrying for the last few months. A multi-lens Q kit probably weighs less and takes up less space than the K-01 body alone. Ergonomically the K-01 is maybe only slightly better in the sense it fills the hands better. I feel that the K-01 is best suited for relatively compact primes and possibly compact zooms like the 18-55 and 50-200. If you're wanting to use any other zooms, it's probably time to bring the SLR.

The portability vs. quality tradeoff is a fundamental decision with photographic equipment. It really depends what you're doing, what your tolerance for compromise in either area is.
You are so correct.

The Q has become my goto TRAVEL camera. (It may replace my GXR with P10)

- Perfect for indoors with the 01 prime.
- Perfect for concerts with the 06 zoom.
- Versatile with the 02 for wide shots.

I am using the K-01 and the GXR with M mount for more deliberative images and Portraits. What has surprised me is that the K-01 may replace the GXR. I very much like the colors achieved with Pentax lenses on the K-01 and that includes the 18-55 WR. Also a surprise is the utility of the K-01 on a tripod with a CarrySpeed VF3 compared to the GXR. The K-01 really needs a USB based remote shutter release.

If only there was a GXR module for KAF lenses.
04-07-2013, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
In the end, the wife said "Keep both"
Who am I to argue?
04-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Happy story :P

04-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
Yos
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
In the end, the wife said "Keep both"
Who am I to argue?
Lovely wife you have!
Still can not convince my wife that we need another camera
04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q (and Q10) inhabits a unique niche, and I'm sure it'll always have some fans. I just can't get excited about it. The tiny sensor and the lack of any kind of viewfinder are hard for me to get past. I'm a SLR guy from way back, and I don't see the Q evolving into a SLR/DSLR replacement.

I am getting a K-01. I couldn't resist the closeout price and being able to use all my existing lens collection. However... It still has no viewfinder, and it seems a bit clunky. It's not as bad as my old K100D, but still somewhat larger and heavier than my ideal for carrying around regularly. Given the technical requirements of the K-mount, I don't see future iterations getting much smaller, either.

I've got to admit glancing across the aisle at the Micro Four Thirds system with a bit of envy. They seem to have hit the mirrorless sweet spot that Pentax hasn't found yet. (And the Olympus OM-D E-M5 really pushes a lot of my buttons, though buying into it would be quite costly for me.)