Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #31

Thank you, mrNewt. It looks good. Can't wait for my Swivi to arrive by courier.
I think pocketability is over rated. I was using a reasonably-sized camcorder once - not pocket-sized nor one that you have to sit on your shoulder. And a passer-by - obviously a pocket-sized user - said "My, that's a big camera!". Really?
I'm not showing off when using a large camera, I just want one that works properly and gives good footage.
But that's outside this forum. . .

05-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dabber Quote
This enabled people to put such cameras in their pocket and not worry about carrying them. I thought that was the point of credit card-sized cameras - although they won't perhaps be as good for creating big enlargements and close-ups.
Yeah, if you want to put a camera in your pocket, then you're better off with a pocket camera -- or the camera built into your phone. The Q, with a lens mounted, can fit into a cargo pocket, but still...

I do think that DSLRs have grown to somewhat unwieldy size-and-weight, even for carrying on a neck strap. My K100D is awkward to carry around that way, even with smaller lenses. It's notably bigger and heavier than my old Pentax ZX-5n film camera, for example. So, I think there's a good argument to be made for going mirrorless and cutting these cameras back down to size. It's more efficient, but it all comes down to having a suitable substitute for the optical viewfinder.
05-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #33

No gain for a lot of trouble

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I think there's a good argument to be made for going mirrorless and cutting these cameras back down to size. It's more efficient, but it all comes down to having a suitable substitute for the optical viewfinder.
But that's the point. Going mirrorless doesn't seemed to have made much difference, particularly if, like me, it was to use the lenses I already had - and being able to get a camera body for a good price without having to buy the lens on a camera as well.
So, no real advantage in going mirrorless and an additional problem over the loss of the viewfinder (eye piece version as opposed to a monitor screen).

A flippant question so don't take me too seriously. Can a DSLR camera still be called that if R stands for Reflex which refers to route the images takes from the lens to the eye-piece viewfinder? (Z-like). I'm assuming the "route" is fairly straight in a mirrorless camera. How about DSLVML cameras? Digital Single Lens Viewfinder and Mirror Lacking camera.
05-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dabber Quote
But that's the point. Going mirrorless doesn't seemed to have made much difference...
In the case of the K-01, you're right. It didn't make much difference, and that was one of the recurring gripes against the camera. Other camera makers have gone with smaller sensors (like Micro Four Thirds for example) and new lens mounts, which gained them a lot of compactness in both camera bodies and lenses. Sticking with the K-mount, no adaptor needed, prevented Pentax from getting that sort of size reduction with the K-01.

The Q and Q10 fall at the other extreme and show just how far it's possible to shrink a mirrorless system camera! However, the Q's sensor is so small that it becomes a limiting factor.

QuoteQuote:
Can a DSLR camera still be called that if R stands for Reflex which refers to route the images takes from the lens to the eye-piece viewfinder? (Z-like). I'm assuming the "route" is fairly straight in a mirrorless camera.
R stands for reflex, i.e. reflective, which means it has to have a mirror. A mirrorless camera, by definition, does not.

05-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
R stands for reflex, i.e. reflective, which means it has to have a mirror. A mirrorless camera, by definition, does not.
I think I'm getting myself a bit mixed up here. I don't think a K-01 claims to be a DSLR does it?
It was while I was looking for a body-only Pentax camera so that I could use the Pentax lenses that I had that I came across the K-01. I had never heard the term "mirrorless" and so it didn't mean anything to me. Don't have time or the patience to go through a big research programme when I want a new camera. Or to read photography magazines.
My istDL camera had stopped working in Auto Focus mode, although it can do occasionally, and so I decided the time had come to replace it. A quick on-line search found the K-01 and I decided that was it. I only found the lack of viewfinder after I had started to use it. So thanks to all those on Pentax Forum who supplied the information about the loupe and other devices that overcome the problem.
By the way, does the lack of battery power affect the MF/AF use? I use rechargeable batteries and the battery status indicator rarely shows more than half full (one of the two segments is back) even when fresh out of the charger. Maybe that should be "used rechargeable batteries" and I should switch to non-rechargeable.
That is one plus point about the K-01 for me - D-LI90 lithium-ion battery which has much more power than four AA batteries.
05-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #36

Swivi viewfinder is excellent

I have received my Swivi foldable LCD viewfinder and it works just fine. One small point, I need to find an Acra Swiss quick release plate that will fit a Manfrotto tripod. The "track" for the plate on the tripod (which I use for video) is much wider (almost double width) than the baseplate that comes with the Swivi - but someone will make one I'm sure. Carryspeed (see below) don't seem to.
I watched a 9-minute video on my computer (New Gear – Swivi LCD View Finder ) - yes, it's not "viewfinder" - in which an expert demonstrates the Swivi that is attached to Canon cameras which have viewfinders. So why did he need a Swivi viewfinder?
Carry Speed (www.carryspeed.com/products) make the Swivi viewfinder, I think. They have an instructional video, too - in case any forum user still has doubts about the Swivi.
One more link: www.swiviusa.com - takes you to Carry Speed..
I hope this doesn't count as advertising . . . ! I'm not an employee of Swivi, Carryspeed or Cheesy Cam, or anyone else!

Last edited by Dabber; 05-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.