Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Found in the Accessory reviews
Jinfinance (eBay) 2.8x LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Pentax Q/ Nikon J1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
what camera are you using it on and how does it attach
You should be able to use it on just about any camera. The loupe attaches to a base plate that screw into the tripod socket.
05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

what camera are you using it on and how does it attach
QuoteOriginally posted by Dabber Quote
Do they also do one for the K-01 or are you saying this will fit? No, it's not cheap, but cheaper than changing to a camera with a viewfinder.

Sorry I thought I had come up with something new in suggesting a viewfinder that would go into the hotshoe. The idea has obviously be round for some time.
It will fit on any camera with 3" display (and I guess smaller depending on the button locations) - it mounts on the tripod socket and it has adjustable arms to position it right on your display - you can adjust for the thickness of the camera, the height and left-right.

There is a picture on K-01 forums with that installed on it - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/205155-lets-see-your-new-k01-2.html - post #19.

Today you use it on your K-01 ... 3-5 years from now on something else .
Is like a life-time investment for 3" screens (and I guess some smaller ones as well).

Last edited by mrNewt; 05-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
05-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

doc i got this and just wasn't happy with it...

05-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

doc i got this and just wasn't happy with it...
Thanks. Would you consider writing a review so we can archive your experience with it?
05-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #21

Rude Awakening . . . Just in Time

Amazon do one as well:

GGS Perfect foldable LCD viewfinder for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Other DSLR cameras (ggs3.0x LCDVF) £44 + £11.54 - from Texas actually and with a wide delivery date range (into June). I might just go for that.
05-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. Would you consider writing a review so we can archive your experience with it?
i'll try...i thought it was just me because others seem to like it

05-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
i did it
05-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

i did it
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by topaz Quote
I couldn't see to frame and focus hardly anything.
Just to make sure - did you crank the screen brightness all the way up to max?
05-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a loupe for my Oly and found I totally hated using it. The whole point of a M43 camera for me was any lens capacity, portability and smaller size. Put a loupe on the thing and I might as well be carrying my K-x for all it matters. Between the body, a lens adapter and a MF lens I practically am carrying a DSLR kit sans VF in terms of size. I still like my Oly, and I have a small sun shade on the LCD but I think as an outdoor camera it leaves a lot to be desired. I love being able to put any lens on it, but that's about it. Until I can afford the VF2 for it I doubt I'll be using it as much as I thought I would. With a VF I'd probably use it all the time. Without it I prefer my K-x.
05-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #27

Not a brightness problem

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Just to make sure - did you crank the screen brightness all the way up to max?
Yes, I did. But even though the sun was behind me my face was brightly lit and, as I said, reflected in the screen, blocking the image in the screen.

By the way (1): I CAN spell loupe! Don't know why I went for loop. You must be wondering "A journalist and he can't spell?!"

By the way (2): I didn't go for the GGS Perfect Foldable LCD viewfinder in the end. I decided to buy the GGS Swivi Foldable 3x viewfinder on E-bay.
05-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find that I can use the K-01 outdoors in bright sunlight if I wear a wide-brimmed hat and a dark shirt, and use a black camera strap. (Or actually turn the bright yellow side of my strap down!) This works without too much trouble in normal environments, but I haven't tried it on sand or snow.

Interestingly enough, I had a chance to compare my K-01 side by side with an Olympus OM-D E-M5. The OLED display on the back of the E-M5 is noticeably darker-and-dimmer than the K-01's LCD. In situations where the K-01 struggled, the E-M5 failed. But then, it does offer the EVF to fall back on.
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

For those of you wondering about the SWIVI on K-01 ...

05-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #30

Thanks for that, Tony. Not sure whether you are a fellow sufferer or having a go . . .! I'l assume the better option.
Actually, I searched the forums to try to find out why mirrorless cameras were needed and failed to find one (please tell me where if I missed the discussion). So I did a general search and found an article on a personal website (that is, not a forum) which said it was to keep the camera smaller. This enabled people to put such cameras in their pocket and not worry about carrying them. I thought that was the point of credit card-sized cameras - although they won't perhaps be as good for creating big enlargements and close-ups.
In fact, my K-01 camera and my previous Pentax istDL are the same size, and neither will go in my pocket. Admittedly, I use the same lenses on my new body-only purchase camera and not the new slim lens that is available..