Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Rude Awakening...Just In Time!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Recently, I was able to purchase a K-01...Previous to that my only quality digital has been my beloved K200 D. Since buying the K-01, I've pretty much ignored the k200. I've had tons of fun experimenting with manuals, the 40 XS and my F 35-70. Since I was having this great honeymoon with the K-01, the thought came to me...Why the heck do I need my DSLR? Well, by gosh, I don't! I'm divorcing it! I'm done with it! I'll sell it and get another lens. So, a few days ago, I listed it for sale here in the market place.

So then today rolls around, the weather was finally decent, and I set off for a morning of nature shooting with my new "favorite camera"...Up until today, most of what I'd been doing with the K-01 had been just things around the house and mostly inside. Well holy crud! What a rude awakening...Even though I have added a Delkin Pop-Up Shade to the K-01...I couldn't see to frame and focus hardly anything. Don't get me wrong there were some exceptions and I was able to make some good shots. But really, most of my time was spent trying to see the viewfinder. Which kind of takes away from the creativity.

Needless to say, while on my morning excursion, I made my mind up pretty quickly about getting rid of the old K200D...So, as soon as I got back home I withdrew the listing. No way am I ready to give up my DSLR. The K-01 is a great camera, and I still love her...But, at least so far, it's just an exciting "affair"...I've come to my senses now and realize that I'm still in love with my viewfinder.

04-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same feeling here. I bought the K-01 as a backup for my K-30 which I had to send in for repair (my fault) and I miss that OVF. Hopefully, my K-30 gets back soon (been waiting for parts from Japan.)
04-14-2013, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Glad you had the realization prior to committing to sell you K200D. Perhaps the K-01 needs a loupe?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/218612-glue-hoodman-loupe-k-0...ml#post2318237
04-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad you had the realization prior to committing to sell you K200D. Perhaps the K-01 needs a loupe?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/218612-glue-hoodman-loupe-k-0...ml#post2318237
Hmmm...Maybe the "affair's" not over after all. Does that set-up work pretty much like a viewfinder?

04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by topaz Quote
Hmmm...Maybe the "affair's" not over after all. Does that set-up work pretty much like a viewfinder?
To be honest, it is not mine. I have read many threads in which the owners of K-01s have decided, as you have, that outdoors in full sunlight the K-01 is a tough camera to enjoy using and have resorted to a Hoodman Loupe or similar product. My understanding is that it does act as the viewfinder of a DSLR in many ways. Best to ask those who own one though.
04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
To be honest, it is not mine. I have read many threads in which the owners of K-01s have decided, as you have, that outdoors in full sunlight the K-01 is a tough camera to enjoy using and have resorted to a Hoodman Loupe or similar product. My understanding is that it does act as the viewfinder of a DSLR in many ways. Best to ask those who own one though.
I see.

Yes, outdoors today was rough with the K-01. My photography outings are my "therapy". And when I have to fight to get the focus and composition right...the most fundamental part of shooting pictures...it's no longer therapy.
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I see.

Yes, outdoors today was rough with the K-01. My photography outings are my "therapy". And when I have to fight to get the focus and composition right...the most fundamental part of shooting pictures...it's no longer therapy.
That is why we nolonger own an M4/3 camera and I use my K-5 outside in bright sunlight.

04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm waiting on the arrival of my closeout-priced K-01 here. I was already aware of this concern when I placed my order, though, based on some other cameras without viewfinders that I've used. I reckon the K-01 will be my low-light camera.

However... You want to talk about bright sunlight? Yesterday I went to a vintage tractor pull under the full-bore Texas sun. One poor guy was struggling to take photos with an iPad or some similar kind of tablet. The screen didn't even look like it was turned on, you couldn't tell. Most folks had smart phones. I only noticed one other actual camera, as one lady was toting a Nikon DSLR with an enormous long-zoom lens.

I had my Pentax ZX-5n, Sigma 28-105mm 1:3.8-5.6 (slowwwww) lens and Kodak Ektar 100. That combination was right for the job, pleasant to use, and I got some good photos to go with my severe sunburn.
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes it does, I recently bought one and I hang it around my neck ready for when I need it. Not all situations in the sun require it, when I do need I just hold it against the LCD and press my eye to it which is plenty enough to hold it there for framing or review.
Just fits the Q as well..

Shown here held against the Q.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
05-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #10

I suppose someone could always invent a stand-alone viewfinder that could be slotted into the flashgun hot shoe on top of the camera, which would be better than nothing and much better than guessing if the camera is pointing in the right direction.
05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

topaz, get one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200910042227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...ht_2466wt_1164

They aren't that cheap ... but, you do not need to glue them to your camera, looks great, is built well and it can be used on pretty much any camera with a 3" screen.
You will never have any issues with the sun any more ... on any camera you will be using it.
05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #12

Rude Awakening . . . Just in Time!

I tried using the loop (picking up the suggestion that it could be hand-held against the LCD monitor) and struggled.
I held the camera in my left hand, and the loop against the monitor with my right hand. I couldn't press the release button! No third hand.
I suppose I could use the self-portrait set-up. Press the button and in the delay while I would normally be running into place on front of the camera, line-up the camera and make sure the camera has focussed.
Perhaps glue and taping the loop to the camera is the best idea!
05-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently, I was able to purchase a K-01...Previous to that my only quality digital has been my beloved K200 D. Since buying the K-01, I've pretty much ignored the k200. I've had tons of fun experimenting with manuals, the 40 XS and my F 35-70. Since I was having this great honeymoon with the K-01, the thought came to me...Why the heck do I need my DSLR? Well, by gosh, I don't! I'm divorcing it! I'm done with it! I'll sell it and get another lens. So, a few days ago, I listed it for sale here in the market place.

So then today rolls around, the weather was finally decent, and I set off for a morning of nature shooting with my new "favorite camera"...Up until today, most of what I'd been doing with the K-01 had been just things around the house and mostly inside. Well holy crud! What a rude awakening...Even though I have added a Delkin Pop-Up Shade to the K-01...I couldn't see to frame and focus hardly anything. Don't get me wrong there were some exceptions and I was able to make some good shots. But really, most of my time was spent trying to see the viewfinder. Which kind of takes away from the creativity.

Needless to say, while on my morning excursion, I made my mind up pretty quickly about getting rid of the old K200D...So, as soon as I got back home I withdrew the listing. No way am I ready to give up my DSLR. The K-01 is a great camera, and I still love her...But, at least so far, it's just an exciting "affair"...I've come to my senses now and realize that I'm still in love with my viewfinder.
yep...totally relate...love my q but so frustrating when i am outside and can see anything and i have tried lots of different options and haven't been happy with any yet
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
topaz, get one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200910042227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...ht_2466wt_1164

They aren't that cheap ... but, you do not need to glue them to your camera, looks great, is built well and it can be used on pretty much any camera with a 3" screen.
You will never have any issues with the sun any more ... on any camera you will be using it.
what camera are you using it on and how does it attach
05-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #15

Rude Awakening - Just in Time!

topaz, get one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200910042227?...ht_2466wt_1164

Do they also do one for the K-01 or are you saying this will fit? No, it's not cheap, but cheaper than changing to a camera with a viewfinder.

Sorry I thought I had come up with something new in suggesting a viewfinder that would go into the hotshoe. The idea has obviously be round for some time.