Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

Fujifilm x100 vs K01+40xs

On the off chance that someone with a k01 has played with a X100, how does the pq and handling compare? I realize that the K01 does offer the possibility of swapping lenses but for this post i want to pretend 40xs is it.

04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummmm...don't own either, but have handled both. The X100 feels and handles like a nice rangefinder film camera (say a Leica or Voigtlander). The K-01 feels and handles a lot like an Instamatic or Argus C3 with a nice grippy covering. There are threads on this site with example pics from both cameras.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/166455...-pictures.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2013 at 09:08 PM.
04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think 40mm is a bit too long for an everyday camera. The K-01 would more directly compare with a DA21 attached. At the single focal length, I have to give the nod to the X100 for being the better camera, and it has a viewfinder.
04-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I think 40mm is a bit too long for an everyday camera.
I would definitely agree for a camera of this type. 20mm-24mm focal length is more appropriate.

Steve

04-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Handled both on a few occasions.

X100 response and AF is too poor for me.
Size was nice, but felt plastiky which surprised me.
I disagree with its launch price, but now its so low, its a viable option.

K01, nice K5, K30 type IQ.
Buttons/menu like a Pentax camera.
Did not like the gripping (too blocky) and lack of EVF.
AF much better with firmware update.

I'd still go with K01+40xs or DA35.
Loose very little in $ when I move over/back to another Pentax ILC (or dslr)
That 16mp sensor o/p will still be relevant for the next few yrs (imo)
05-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

I agree with pinholecam, the AF of the X100 is not as good as the K01. THe handling in general of the X100 was really very quirky. I find the K01 handling very logical and the AF very good in comparison.
07-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
It's been quite a while but I thought I would update this thread--

I did buy an x100 and have been using it for several weeks now. It is also an excellent camera and suits my overall use. PQ and handling are both extraordinary. When the x100 nails a picture (and it does so with reasonable frequency), the result is simply out of this world -- portraits with it for example. The AF is excellent in most conditions but does have trouble sometimes (but not always!) in low light. I would rate both AFs about the same. The hybrid viewfinder is stupendous and this along with its virtually silent operation allows me to produce pictures I simply couldn't with most cameras. It's fill-flash is also superb and starkly illustrates the inadequacy of other on-board flashes. A good used x100 costs twice what I paid for a new K-01+40mmXS but I would still put the overall "value" of the x100 right up there with the K-01+40mmSX package.

The K-01 is also terrific but I suspect that to get truly extraordinary pictures one will have to pony up for a limited lens -- perhaps the 43mm or 31mm. My experience with 6-7 less expensive lenses (18-55 DA II, 40mm xs, 75-300mm Sigma, 28-80mm Sigma, 55mm f1.8 smc tak, 28mm f3.5 smc tak, 35mm super tak etc) is that the results on the K-01 are good usually and approach very good sometimes, but are never astounding. Certainly, I don't discount that it could be my shooting style/ability.

I will be happy to answer any questions I can comparing the 2 cameras...I've used both for about the same length of time, so my expertise or lack thereof will be similar.

07-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The X100 is indeed superb. It has an excellent lens of the ideal focal length.
Suggest you mount a 24mm A or AF lens on the K-01 to better compare.

Chris
07-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #9

I've owned both and while I loved the Fuji IQ I just couldn't get used to the lack of flexiblity in the focal length. It was just too limiting. I have picked up a Sony RX100 and I love the images, the flexibility and most importantly, the size. Truly a pocketable camera. The best camera is the one you have with you and my Sony is always with me.
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey there. I don't have the Fuji, but I have the K-01+40mm XS.
The 40mm XS on APS-C sensor isn't wide, true, but I havent found it to be a problem. Its perfect for certain styles of landscape photographs. Its focal length also works for portraits, architecture and just about anything "normal". Its an amazing lens that you get in the bundle, very sharp, fast AF, super compact (record holder?), rounded aperture blades for great bokeh, and practically no distortion. The only downside is that its relatively slow for a prime (I mean f-stop, AF is very fast) and doesn't have DoF scale, but that seems to be a general industry trend.
You can get a cheap DA 18-55mm (DA L, DA. DA WR, second hand, whatever) for okay quality and a convenient zoom range. Pentax also makes many other wonderful primes, some very compact ones like 21mm and 70mm. And you can use old primes, like the M 50mm f1.7, that deliver great IQ and cost under $60. I think this is the main advantage, even though you stated that for these purposes you dont care about that.
I know the Fujifilm is well liked, but the K-01 is a very compelling package at a low price and it allows the use of all Kmount lenses. Feel free to take a look at the sample photo function on this forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/samplesearch.php
You can search for K-01 + 40mm (ltd or XS, optically they should be virtually identical)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-22-2013 at 10:09 AM.
07-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tas 0425 Quote
I've owned both and while I loved the Fuji IQ I just couldn't get used to the lack of flexiblity in the focal length. It was just too limiting. I have picked up a Sony RX100 and I love the images, the flexibility and most importantly, the size. Truly a pocketable camera. The best camera is the one you have with you and my Sony is always with me.
Yes, the rx's size is an advantage. But don't you miss the x100's OVF? If you want to take a snap say in a store or street or bright poolside, can you really use a RX100? It's been a revelation to me how so many pics I have taken with the x100 that would not have been an option (for me) with a camera on which a lit-screen and/or a visibly moving lens are necessary. These and completely noiseless instancy gives me so much more flexibility. So far I haven't missed zoom. And the x100 is small/unobtrusive enough that I take it out very frequently-- though not pocketable (unless I wear cargo shorts). I haven't taken anywhere near as many shots in the first couple months of owning any other camera...it's a pleasure to handle. That said, each has its strengths that users will weight accordingly. As a gadget enthusiast, I will keep my eyes peeled for a rx100 also :-)
07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #12

When I had a Fujifilm fixed-lens digital a number of years back, it went out on me after <100 shots with a known (I found online it happened to a number of others) issue. Since it was out of warranty by a month or two (remember though, <100 shots), Fuji did not offer a repair even at my expense, in fact they didn't answer email or snail mail. I got the message that I was of no further interest to them.
07-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mndean Quote
When I had a Fujifilm fixed-lens digital a number of years back, it went out on me after <100 shots with a known (I found online it happened to a number of others) issue. Since it was out of warranty by a month or two (remember though, <100 shots), Fuji did not offer a repair even at my expense, in fact they didn't answer email or snail mail. I got the message that I was of no further interest to them.
Now that you mention it, I had a somewhat similar experience with a Fujifilm fixed lens camera more than a decade ago...might be the same model as you! The camera just stopped working after a year of purchase for no reason. I didn't contact Fuji though. Some of the x100 cameras with certain serial #s (beginning with 12, 13, 14) are also allegedly prone to a known issue (search for SAB), so Fuji's products do seem to have a quirky rep in that respect.
07-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #14

I don't want to say anything about Fuji's rep on building digital cameras as every one of the manufacturers have had issues here and there. It was more that I was out $400+ and they (or rather, their US representatives) wouldn't even bother to reply at all. BTW, my issue was that when I turned the camera on, the lens would not open and extend, throwing an error and not allowing me to go any farther. I didn't find any firmware upgrades for the model either.

CS is something I really don't like to use in any case, but when I do, I'd rather the manufacturer respond.
07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #15

I never had a problem with the quality of the Fuji X100, the lack of focal range was the determining factor for me in selling it. I have the Sony RX100 now and haven't had any problems with the lack of a viewfinder even at the beach. The visibility is much better than the K-01 and the size and IQ are great.