Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Do you think mirrorless will replace dslrs?

With the advances in mirrorles cameras do you think that someday they will replace the dsrls?
Also what are the advantages of dsrls? (i am kinda new in them)

Sorry if this is a repeated threat.

05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
Optical viewfinders and faster autofocus. While it's sort of hard to replace optical viewfinders with electronic ones, I think eventually intro-level DSLRs will start being overtaken by mirrorless.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I addressed this very debate some time ago with this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/211471-pros-cons-evf-ovf.html

Consensus - personal preference.
I prefer OVF for the reasons Adam gives. EVF is great and sells well for the smaller camera market. Currently, the EVF quality isn't up to scratch enough to be featured on larger format cameras.

Last edited by Ash; 05-20-2013 at 03:56 AM.
05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I addressed this very debate some time age with this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/211471-pros-cons-evf-ovf.html

Consensus - personal preference.
I prefer OVF for the reasons Adam gives. EVF is great and sells well for the smaller camera market. Currently, the EVF quality isn't up to scratch enough to be featured on larger format cameras.
Great, thanks, i will give it a read.

05-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the distant future around 50 years from now it is likely, but at present it is rather painfully obvious that mirrorless has a long way to go before it comes even close to eclipsing DSLR cameras, let alone surpassing them.
05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

I think that in 20 years from now mirrorless will be the rule. Technology advances fast. I think eventually viewfinders will be unnecessary. New, brighter, higher resolution and resistant to direct sunlight screens will be developed as research for this is continuous and intensive with the cellphone and tablet industry.
05-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Yes, mirrorless is the way of the future and viewfinders are obsolete. It will take at least a generation of dinosaurs to die off before this becomes the majority of shooters. Professionals will meet their needs through some form of tethered wearable monitor, perhaps special glasses, while the rest of us will simply look at the screen on the back of the camera.

05-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Yes, I think.
Since i have read old photography book from 1953 two years ago.
05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by romeck Quote
Yes, I think.
QED, the defense rests
05-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by romeck Quote
Yes, I think.
¿? What do you mean?
05-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Eventually EVF's wil have greater resolution, DR, and refresh rates than the human eye can detect. When this happens EVF's will be just as good as OVFs and offer some advantages. CDAF will eventually be as fast or faster than PDAF.

I think in the long run the company that comes out with the most integrated system will win, bu that means not compromising to support a 30 year old mount.
05-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
Banned

I prefer the OLED EVF on my full frame Sony NEX-VG900 than the OVF on my Pentax K-7. Is the OVF on the K-5 II better than the K-7 ?
05-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think yes. Sensor and display technology will continue to advance. We'll also see new transformative technologies pop up from time to time, and some of those might replace our current concepts of mirrorless cameras. I'm not committing to any timeframes, though.
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Banned

So did Pentax use a better prism/mirror combo in the OVF of the K-5 II than the K-7 to make a noticeable difference when viewing through it ?
05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
With the advances in mirrorles cameras do you think that someday they will replace the dsrls?

Sorry if this is a repeated threat.
Yes absolutely.

And I based this purely on the very familiar pattern of the old analog to digital conversion era which took place long ago. At which point, there was no shortage of audiophiles clinging to the antiquated tech like old religion, though I also know that most people knew deep down that it was only a matter of time before progress ran its course. And so I suppose, in much the same way, that many people can see the very pattern taking place in the photography industry as well. That is to say that the inevitable truth is that we know what needs to be done in order to improve things, as we continue to strive to achieve it. Well... in all fairness, it's more along the lines of the manufacturers who are achieving it so as to continue delivering new and exciting things though in the end, it's our need for bigger and better than does us in.

Nevertheless, I simply see no way around the obvious personally. That is to say that the next big revolutionary step in digital photography will undoubtably be the elimination of the old mirror box system.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.