Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

I wish Pentax would launch a product like range finder type

If they could launch a product like RD1S or Lumix-L1, with the ability of handle nicely with the manual focus vintage lens.
Of cause that's a only a dream.
So far I'm just getting into the vintage lens (M42) with Olympus and Panasonic bodies, have not been touching my Fuji X100 for a while.
I'm not a DSLR type guy, almost bought a K01, but stall at the end, could not enjoy the looking of it

05-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It would be ironic if Pentax released a digital rangefinder, since they never produced a film rangefinder (to the best of my knowledge). Indeed isn't the name of the company from the "Pentaprism" in an SLR?
05-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If pentax did leicaphiles would stomp on it for no other reason than spite - you simply have no idea how aggressively bigoted some Leica fans can be. Just look at what happened to the konica Hexar RF*, or the Epson RD-1. Zeiss it rumored to be producing a Digital IKON camera, but that is only a rumour.

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
It would be ironic if Pentax released a digital rangefinder, since they never produced a film rangefinder (to the best of my knowledge). Indeed isn't the name of the company from the "Pentaprism" in an SLR?
Correct, pentax never has made a film RF camera - however there is the FA43mm f/1.9 Special in Leica thread mount which has quite a following amongst leicaphiles.

*I own six of these beautiful cameras, and in my mind the Hexar RF is what the Leica M7 should have been.
05-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If pentax did leicaphiles would stomp on it for no other reason than spite - you simply have no idea how aggressively bigoted some Leica fans can be. Just look at what happened to the konica Hexar RF*, or the Epson RD-1.
That alone is a very good reason for Pentax to do it: To kick up dust. A pity I can't find any other good reasons for Pentax to make such an RF camera. A camera that can mount those M-lenses though... That would be quite cool.

And those bigoted Leica fans are probably the sole reason for Leica's profits.

05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That alone is a very good reason for Pentax to do it: To kick up dust. A pity I can't find any other good reasons for Pentax to make such an RF camera. A camera that can mount those M-lenses though... That would be quite cool.

And those bigoted Leica fans are probably the sole reason for Leica's profits.
Totally agree.
I just want a nice Pentax cool digital camera, equipped with a APSC or even better a FF sensor. Then I can enjoy using the old M and K lens on it.
The cameras on the market now are not perfectly equipped for those nice manual focus lens, which is reasonable, they want to sell the digital lens at high price. Pentax should have the same thought, but they should do it since they are not market leader of the camera body anyway.
05-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #6

A Pentax rangefinder similar to the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 -- but with a full-frame sensor -- and weather sealed -- now that would be a product that would get some attention...
06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
twr

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
A Pentax rangefinder similar to the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 -- but with a full-frame sensor -- and weather sealed -- now that would be a product that would get some attention...
That is my dream!

10-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

maybe this is why.....

QuoteOriginally posted by iaeaix Quote
Totally agree.
I just want a nice Pentax cool digital camera, equipped with a APSC or even better a FF sensor. Then I can enjoy using the old M and K lens on it.
The cameras on the market now are not perfectly equipped for those nice manual focus lens, which is reasonable, they want to sell the digital lens at high price. Pentax should have the same thought, but they should do it since they are not market leader of the camera body anyway.
I love my Leica and shooting the Rangefinder style so I too would love this to happen. I think a K-01 with a simple RF or an OVF would kill it! If they added a FF and weather sealing then that truly would garner some amazing fans, not to mention a powerhouse of a shooter. I shot this to show a friend the size difference in both cameras and how small the " Me " truly was. And now I'll share it with everyone here......

you can def see that the difference between the cameras are pretty nominal. maybe this is why Pentax never made a RF. They are already had cameras that matched the size of Leica and they always had amazing lenses. And maybe they just don't feel connected to the rangefinder feel of shooting, so this is why it was never released.

Again, a new K-01 with an OVF/EVF would be amazing. Paired with whatever sensor, my preference being a FF but from what I have been shooting with the current sensor...I truly don't care. I can't wait to purchase more lenses ( 77mm ltd and 15mm ltd )because I think this would be a killer compact killer!

So yes...I thought I would share those images and I agree a move for a K-01 that grows into a new mirrorless RF would be spectacular.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D800  Photo 
10-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iaeaix Quote
Totally agree.
the camera called GXR + m-mount module.
10-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well we responded to the K-01 so positively that they went right back into the lab and started working.

And came up with the K-3.
10-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Forum Member

Well, pentax is Ricoh now, and Ricoh made some excellent fixed lens rangefinders.
10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't even know what a range-finder is but I like having something other than the absence of a FF to complain about.
10-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If they could add a coupled rangefinder with parallax adjustment to the GR (and perhpas a 35mm lens . . . . . )
10-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If they could add a coupled rangefinder with parallax adjustment to the GR (and perhpas a 35mm lens . . . . . )
has anyone but epson and leica made a digital with coupled rangefinder?
10-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by verdigris Quote
has anyone but epson and leica made a digital with coupled rangefinder?
H@!! if I know. I never got beyond the Olympus XA.