Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Do I really need A lenses for my K-O1....

Or are M lenses adequate since I'm not planning on using it for action/street work?

06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They should be fine - personally I prefer the older K series lenses - the A series tend to use too much plastic in their construction for my taste. The plastic used on the aperture ring gives the mechanism a sloppy feel, with a lack of positive feedback that you get from a metal aperture ring. Also the naual focusing on some A series lenses can be a bit inconsistent, I have an A series 50mm f/1.2 I hardly ever use because the focusing ring gets quite stiff at the 2m mark* - as always, YMMV.

*I know how to repair this but I prefer my K 50mm f/1.2 anyway.
06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What are you planning on using it for then?
06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M lenses will work in M mode and AV mode. You will have to use stop down metering, center weighted only, and manual flash.

A series lenses will allow you to use all exposure and metering modes, as well as automatic flash.

I have an A 28/2.8 & A 135/2.8 that I use often. I don't use the A 50/1.4 as much since I bought a FA 50/1.7. The aperture ring isn't an issue on cameras that control the aperture since it stays on A. If I were using my LX or K1000 more I would be using a K or M series lens.

06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mind you, in Av mode, M lenses only shoot wide open.
06-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's also a good opportunity to use a M42 lens in auto mode since the display features auto gain for Av mode.
A series lenses are nice, though, if you want to use shutter priority.
06-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpceter Quote
Or are M lenses adequate since I'm not planning on using it for action/street work?
With M or K lenses,
you can preset the aperture with the aperture ring,
and then arrange one press of a button in M mode
to set the correct shutter speed.
I find it fast enough to use for action,
so long as you don't need to be changing
both exposure and focus at the same time.

I've posted this before, but here's a shot with a K24/2.8 on a K-01:

06-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpceter Quote
Do I really need...
You can stop right there. The answer to any question that starts with those four words is always "no."

Would you be happier with A lenses? Maybe. I prefer them, since the only thing they're missing compared to a modern lens is autofocus. With Av mode, my preferred mode of operation, M lenses do not work as intended. As JinDesu said, you can only use them wide-open if you want the camera to keep metering on the fly. M lenses aren't suitable if, say, you want to shoot a rapid burst of shots tracking a subject through changing light conditions. You say you're not planning on action shots, but sometimes action happens without you planning on it.

M42 lenses are easier to use than M lenses, IMO, since the camera doesn't hold the aperture open. When you stop down, it stays that way all the time, and the camera meters accordingly. The really old lenses with preset apertures are the easiest of all, since you can quickly switch back-and-forth between wide-open and your chosen aperture.
06-16-2013, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
You can stop right there. The answer to any question that starts with those four words is always "no."

Would you be happier with A lenses? Maybe. I prefer them, since the only thing they're missing compared to a modern lens is autofocus. With Av mode, my preferred mode of operation, M lenses do not work as intended. As JinDesu said, you can only use them wide-open if you want the camera to keep metering on the fly. M lenses aren't suitable if, say, you want to shoot a rapid burst of shots tracking a subject through changing light conditions. You say you're not planning on action shots, but sometimes action happens without you planning on it.

M42 lenses are easier to use than M lenses, IMO, since the camera doesn't hold the aperture open. When you stop down, it stays that way all the time, and the camera meters accordingly. The really old lenses with preset apertures are the easiest of all, since you can quickly switch back-and-forth between wide-open and your chosen aperture.
Agreed, on all three points. A little bit of cellophane tape on the mount will trick the camera into treating K-series or M-series lenses like M42s.
06-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
If you need to change both the focus and the exposure during your shooting,
I generally find it's easier just to hit the Av button with a K or M lens
that it is to go back and forth with the preset or the Manual/Auto lever on an M42 lens. YMMV.
06-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you need to change both the focus and the exposure during your shooting,
I generally find it's easier just to hit the Av button with a K or M lens
that it is to go back and forth with the preset or the Manual/Auto lever on an M42 lens. YMMV.
I agree, but I think Av mode won't let you shoot at anything other than wide open on a K or M lens unmodified. On a K-01, unless it's really dark a bright VF is less needed because of the auto gain feature on the display, and thus M42 lenses (at least presets and Takumars anyways) give you a WYSIWYG approach.
06-17-2013, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
I agree, but I think Av mode won't let you shoot at anything other than wide open on a K or M lens unmodified.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about using the Av button in M mode.
(Too many letters and abbreviations!)

With a K or M lens (or an A lens off the "A" setting),
one press of the Av button sets the correct shutter speed
for the given ISO and aperture.
06-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah, I misread your response. Whoops. Right on.
06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
Ah, I misread your response. Whoops. Right on.
No problem.

As it happens, I just saw your response after coming back from a shoot
with my M42 Super Tak 20/4.5 on a K-01.
And you're right, it's easy to frame in Live View
with the lens set at f/8.