Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash for K-01

What is a good flash that is compact for the K-01.
I have been looking at the Pentax AF200FG but am also exploring other alternatives.
I already have the Sigma EF-530DG Super which I use for the K100D Super but is somewhat too bulky to carry with the K-01.
Does anybody know if the Metz mecablitz 24 AF-1 P-TTL Digital Flash Unit for Pentax would work for the K-01?
Here's a link: Metz Mecablitz 24 AF 1 P TTL Digital Flash Unit Pentax MZ24317PS 719821327004 | eBay
I asked Adorama about this but they didn't give me a reply if this flash is compatible or would do P-TTL with the K-01.

06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't see why it would not work. This is one of the most compact flashes you can buy that also can bounce up to the ceiling. doesn't rotate, but at least being able to bounce the flash makes this better than AF200FG.
06-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

See reviews for the Mecablitz 24 AF-1 here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/metz-mecablitz-24.html
06-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I don't see why it would not work. This is one of the most compact flashes you can buy that also can bounce up to the ceiling. doesn't rotate, but at least being able to bounce the flash makes this better than AF200FG.
These where my thoughts exactly why I was considering it as I used a version for a Canon before and I bought it exactly for a Canon bridge camera superzoom.

The K-01 has different issues with older flashes as I had a generic 3rd party P-TTL flash before that worked with the K100D Super but only "strobes" the flash when used on the K-01.
Others have reported the same issue with these supposedly P-TTL flashes and the K-01.
I know that this particular Metz flash (24 AF-1) is made by Tumax (for Metz) and the flash that does strobe with the K-01 is also made by Tumax although a bigger flash that has a motor zoom head and does bounce and swivel.
The flash that I have that is also made ny Tumax is the Bower SFD926P. It would work with the older Pentax DSLR's but not the newer ones..go figure.

06-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have a Rokinon D980AFZ-PK by Tumax that will strobe on the K-01 in P-TTL mode, but not on the K-x or K20D. The flash does work in manual mode, but if you have to cycle through all of the settings while adjusting the output it goes through the P-TTL mode and starts strobbing until to cycle back into manual mode.

I found that you can avoid the strobbing by insulating one of the contact pins in the flash mount with a bit of cellophane tape. With the back of flash facing you, insulate the pin in the upper left of the flash's base, leaving the other three that form a triangle untouched. I use Scotch brand Magic Tape because it leaves little residue. When insulated, the flash will output at full power if set to P-TTL mode, so you'll need to adjust the aperture accordingly, or use the flash in manual mode to adjust the power output.
06-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do have the Sigma DG Super that would work on the K-01 but am looking for a more compact flash to easily take it anywhere to go with the size of the K-01.
Thanks for the info though about the Tumax brand flashes and what to do with them to avoid them strobing albeit one loses the ability to do P-TTL on these flashes.
I might have to go direct to Metz and ask them about this particular flash of theirs if it has compatibility issues with the newer Pentax digital cameras.
I would still like to know from others with experience with this if they have other compact flash that could work on the K-01.