Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The K-01 can take a picture via an IR remote, like the inexpensive Pentax F at Amazon.com: Pentax Remote Control F for Pentax Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo.

Problem is, you have to be in front of the camera -- in front and off to the side -- for the remote signal to be 'seen' by the K-01's front-side IR sensor.

Workaround -- take a few minutes to fashion a cardboard reflector. Put aluminum foil on its inside. Then gaffer-tape it to the K-01. Now, you can stand behind the K-01... a little off to the side, and the IR sensor 'sees' the incoming IR flash and it takes a picture. Range: you can't be more than about 3' away. See below.
But what we REALLY want to do is to use a TV remote with its strong signal. If anybody knows what kind of remote would work -- or what code to put into what universal remote to get it to work -- please post!!!

Note -- when you look at my cardboard reflector, instead of exclaiming "God, that's so ugly!", why not try repeating this mantra instead -- "What an interesting texture, and its FREE!"

Attached Images

07-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What an interesting texture, and its FREE!
07-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Gritty post-Apocalyspe street photographer look. So pro! Black gaffer tape with a sensitive yet meaningful touch of tinfoil.

At some point, will test a universal IR remote and go through the Sony codes... somebody on some PF thread mentioned that he had gotten a Sony remote to work, but didn't remember the code.
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If anyone is looking for an IR remote for Pentax cameras, this one works well. For just $3.76, it's a deal.

Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

07-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I can't see that working well outside in the wind.
I have a K-7 and I use a cable release for that.
Hey, sledger, can you please share the exact model?

Thanks in advance.
07-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rs-60e3

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.
07-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks sledger. So, that model work with K-7. Great.

07-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Works fine. Even with MUP
07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Is this that one?
07-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it is
07-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot!
07-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
If anyone is looking for an IR remote for Pentax cameras, this one works well. For just $3.76, it's a deal.

Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
I posted the same one here - bought for just $ 2.29 shipping cost included . I tried mine on the K-5, and a Nikon and Sony cameras. Worked great. Single camera Remotes are available for just $ 1 shipped. NOTE: even a button cells used in these Remotes cost over $ 3 each in the US.
The K-5 has IR Sensors both at the front and rear. But for other models with (1) IR window only, you can buy an equally cheap WIRELESS remote.
Sledger Sir, are you listening.
Even the wired ones are dirt cheap, and you can buy the Canikon models with the JIS 2.5 mm pins.
Regards
07-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ nanhi Sir,
QuoteQuote:
The K-5 has IR Sensors both at the front and rear.
I have a K-01, not a K-5
QuoteQuote:
But for other models with (1) IR window only, you can buy an equally cheap WIRELESS remote.
Sledger Sir, are you listening
This is my thread, of course I'm listening
And thank you, I know how cheap the IR remotes are.
QuoteQuote:
Even the wired ones are dirt cheap
Thank you, I already have a (dirt cheap) wired remote for my K-7.
07-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sledger Sir, I am afraid you did NOT listen carefully. My apologies, as I may be at fault. For those of you with a single IR window you can buy a multi directional WIRELESS REMOTE. IT is also very very cheap on eBay.
Please have no regrets that you camera has a single IR window only.
And I find the IR / Wireless Remotes very useful, even though I have the modified Pentax F wired remote with a lock and double press mechanism like on the camera.
It is very different from an IR Remote like the Pentax F or the link I sent you. The IR Remote works in a straight line of sight only.
Regards.
07-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nanhi Sir,
You did not mention 'multi-directional' in your post#27. This is something that I have been looking for and in fact is the reason I started this thread (as you may notice the thread is titled 'Wireless shutter release' and NOT 'IR remote')
I have looked for this 'multi directional WIRELESS REMOTE' on ebay that you speak of in your post #29 but no results are found.
Please supply a link so that I am as informed as you are.
Thanks