Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kawauchi interview - Q10, Q7, K-01 and Pentax brand

I know there is another thread going but this new thread specifically calls out the mirrorless camera information.

This interview translated in Google:
  • Pentax as a brand will stay permanently for all cameras other than compacts
  • Q10 and Q7 will be distinct lines of camera, as are K5 and K50
  • K-01 is not discontinued. The Blue/White K-01 is a planned line extension
  • Pentax and Ricoh engineering teams have integrated and are working on "something" advanced
Be happy.

08-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those girls and children will never know what Q'd them!

Hooray, release more k-01 firmware updates~
08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting, I'll have to go look but I do believe that Pentax officially discontinued the K-01. Not that I mind them resurrecting it, but let's be honest about it after all. As for more firmware updates - Ricoh has stated unequivocally, and supported it via action already, that they plan to continue to provide firmware updates to discontinued cameras for some time past their being discontinued.

I like this photo
08-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe Pentax USA stated something that is a fact but only in the USA? I do wish the continental drift would stop with camera gear!
That is a cool photo; some day I will find a deal on a white prime for my possibly-discontinued K-01 ghost-cam.

08-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ricoh has stated unequivocally, and supported it via action already, that they plan to continue to provide firmware updates to discontinued cameras for some time past their being discontinued.
Well, let's see if they give us Q7 functionality on the front wheel of the crop-sensor Qs.
Like MF/AF or ND filter switching.
08-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Well, let's see if they give us Q7 functionality on the front wheel of the crop-sensor Qs.
Like MF/AF or ND filter switching.
If you read the (poor) translation carefully Mr. Kawauchi states the Q7 and Q10 will be offered simultaneously as separate Q lines with different capabilities. My interpretation is the Q7 is high-end and Q10 is mid-range, so I don't expect Q10 to receive upgrades to full Q7 spec.s.
08-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
And Marc Newson this level takes time master design, and nest, big pants is a concept.

08-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Marc Newson this level takes time master design, and nest, big pants is a concept.
"Nest, big pants" seems like a very good summary
of what Marc Newson must have had in mind when he styled the K-01.
08-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sheesh. I posted this to the Forum frequented by people who like the K-01 and Q and still you guys can't leave it alone?
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I posted this to the Forum frequented by people who like the K-01 and Q and still you guys can't leave it alone?
Nope, we may own, love, and enjoy using the cameras,
but that won't stop us having a little fun.

Like the man said, "Nest, big pants!"
08-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just returned from a visit to the new Ricoh Imaging website which used to be the Pentax website. Guess what camera, at the official Japanese Ricoh site, is listed as discontinued? Yup, the K-01.

I wish people would STOP trying to rewrite history. The K-01 was discontinued, why the reversal is anybody's guess but it IS a reversal.

Products | RICOH IMAGING
08-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just returned from a visit to the new Ricoh Imaging website which used to be the Pentax website. Guess what camera, at the official Japanese Ricoh site, is listed as discontinued? Yup, the K-01.

I wish people would STOP trying to rewrite history. The K-01 was discontinued, why the reversal is anybody's guess but it IS a reversal.

Products | RICOH IMAGING
Well I guess they recontinued it then or something because it surely is continuing.

I suppose there is some mistranslation and DPReview gets it correct - the K-01 has been "resurrected."

Whatever the case, I personally heard JC say (in an interview) "Planned production run was completed."
08-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well I guess they recontinued it then or something because it surely is continuing.

I suppose there is some mistranslation and DPReview gets it correct - the K-01 has been "resurrected."

Whatever the case, I personally heard JC say (in an interview) "Planned production run was completed."
No doubt he said that. Don't care if it's new production, left over, etc. Just don't like rewrites of history.