Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #1

Still no flash for the mirrorless?

Still Pentax hasn't made a small and elegant tilting flash for its mirrorless cameras? Something with a nice design?

08-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, nothing yet. I'm sure they'll come up with something eventually though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't hold my breath. Wish at least they'd allow Q system and K-01 built-in flashes to serve as P-TTL wireless commander.

Their idea of compact flash appears to be the lame bulky & neutered AF200FG.
09-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A tilting flash need to be quite powerful if to be of any use, so it's difficult to make it small.
But if they could make the flash use the camera for power it could be made much smaller, but I'm not sure that is possible on a standard hot-shoe.

09-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Other manufacturers have released small but still capable units. Nikon and Canon each have small flashes with bounce capability, and Olympus/Panasonic have the FL-36R, a unit similar to the AF-360FGZ in features & power but with swivel, but it takes just 2xAA batteries and is noticeably smaller & lighter at the cost of some refresh rate.

I don't think a standard hotshoe can power anything, it does seem possible though that a route to a smaller, lighter, yet still powerful flash might be with Li-Ion battery pack.
10-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry for the late response but I've been using the Kobre Lightscoop (available on Amazon, Adorama, ebay, etc.) ... basically turns the popup flash into a bounce flash. The trick is to add +0.7 or +1 flash compensation because the built-in flash isn't very powerful for bounce flash.

Here is a sample: