Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Q vs. MX-1 - Same sensor?

Do the Q7 and MX-1 share the same sensor? I was wondering if there is anyone here who owns both of these cameras and tried doing a side-by-side comparison of them. Does anyone have the same shots made with both cameras at approximately the same field of view from the same location? I'm thinking of picking up one of these cameras around Christmas time so I'm researching the models.

I understand the allure of the Q as a new ILC system but the MX-1 seems like a better grab-and-go camera for my purposes. Are the optics in the MX-1 OK compared to the Q system?

08-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The optics of the MX-1 are excellent- likely better than any Q lens. It's been my impression that as far as noise performance goes, the two sensors are comparable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's been my impression that as far as noise performance goes, the two sensors are comparable.
Except if you compare them on Dpreview
08-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Except if you compare them on Dpreview
I haven't looked at those tests, but there's a mammoth difference between jpeg and raw with both cameras, as you'll always always be able to get a cleaner image by denoising a raw.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So where can I get RAW images from both that isn't of goofy champagne bottles and crayon boxes against a white backdrop? How about a forest of trees so I can see leaves or a macro shot of a flower so I can see the pollen bits?
08-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd say just go for the Q7.
In the long run, you just buy a new body for less when there is significant improvement.

The lens on the MX1 is better imo (sharp and better bokeh).
Only the 01 prime matches it, but its a prime.
But I prefer the 40mm eq f1.9 on the prime 01.
On the other hand, the fisheye is fun and the 06 zoom provides good reach at pretty good quality when needed (and at f2.8)
The Q7 is very fast in AF in all conditions, I don't know about the MX1.