Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kirk Tuck recently got a K-01 and would like to get a case of them!!!

The basic guise of the article is that he loves it. Below is the link and I hope you enjoy the read :-)

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Pentax K-01. Please send me a case of these cameras. They are quirky, eccentric and fun. I want more...

08-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting indeed...,

Despite likeing Kirk Tuck's rants on his site (photography + swimming), the thing was he never bothered with Pentax.

Good publicity for Pentax and K01.
Hope it makes him pay attention and write about Pentax more.
08-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's funny that, as time has passed, the K-01 went from being controversial, to being fun and loved. released the clamor was intense. Many PF members stated how ugly it was and how useless it was too without a VF of sorts. I do feel that the video mode could have been better and that there is no HDMI out connector.
08-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fun story. I like the K-01 fine, although it couldn't be my only camera. Anyway, the styling was pretty controversial initally (although it tends to grow on you), but the price was the worst thing at launch and that has since been fixed.

08-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-01 and the Q don't make sense when measured with traditional camera meterics. But both are fun!
08-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
The K-01 and the Q don't make sense when measured with traditional camera meterics. But both are fun!
I think that's what I'm missing with my K-r. It is a great camera and the raw files have way more latitude, but i don't seem to have fun with it and hence my photographic development has come to a grinding halt...
08-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Banned

Nice to read, and fun is a big item in my world when using the K-01.

08-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
I do feel that the video mode could have been better and that there is no HDMI out connector.
There is, it's just that using it forces the camera in to playback mode.
08-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mmh, sweet. I like that the K-01 is becoming more and more liked. Back when it first came out, some people said it will eventually have a cult status, and its great that this is the trend Hopefully it will motivate Pentax to make an even better K-01ii

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
I think that's what I'm missing with my K-r. It is a great camera and the raw files have way more latitude, but i don't seem to have fun with it and hence my photographic development has come to a grinding halt...
Hey, I also have a K-r, and let me tell you.. getting a K-01 really gave me a boost. In terms of IQ, as well as general fun. But I kept the K-r. The two cameras go well together. K-r for when I need OVF and PD AF, and K-01 for when I need max IQ or have a lot of time. I think the K-01 is an amazing camera to complement a DSLR.
Even still, the K-r is no slouch and I find myself using it quite often. Its not as quirky, not as special, but its a good worker. And it offers many things the K-01 does not (PD AF, OVF, fast raw burst mode, doesnt heat up as much because its not in live view, etc.). I think the K-r allows you more things to learn on, because its a true DSLR. But the K-01.. is just fun
08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Interesting comment at the bottom from a "Zvonimir":
QuoteQuote:
For some reason, it seems there is an idea in photo gear forums that Pentax K-01 was a total miss, a failure, "why Pentax even bothered with it?", "a strange looking box that claims to be a camera", "who was the fool who gave the project to a modern lounge chair designer to design a camera?", etc. Shall we say, is it surprising it mere looks leads to hostility in gear forums? On the other hand, I had a chance to confirm from many sources, that K-01 was a highly successful project for Pentax/Ricoh. It was sold-out several months before the planned production end, and the production was re-started for Japanese and Chinese market, all because of extra demand.
Not sure what his/her sources are, but if that's the case (and they're not just selling off old stock with the blue models), very good news.

I'd would be really interesting to get the manufacture date from a blue K-01.
08-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I would like to have the blue K-01
08-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Interesting comment at the bottom from a "Zvonimir":

Not sure what his/her sources are, but if that's the case (and they're not just selling off old stock with the blue models), very good news.

If that is actually true then the deal merchandise sold here in the USA came from a middleman downstream of actual Pentax inventory, thus PRI could correctly state the planned production run was "sold" (John Carlson's wiord was "completed") but the actual cameras weren't in the hands of consumers..
08-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The K01 was successful in one thing.
At closeout, it ended up being in the hands of many ppl who would not have bought a Pentax.
I know of at least 3 Canikony users who ended up with one because of this.

In Japan, the K01 might have sold well, but I have no idea.
However, I did see lots of Qs in camera shops everywhere in Japan, so I'm pretty sure that they did reasonably well there.
Pentax is a very Japan centric camera company.
Not a bad thing imo, as what works for Japan has worked quite well for Asia (in the past in terms of trends )

I'm beginning to hope that Kirk likes K01 enough to like the Q too.
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If that is actually true then the deal merchandise sold here in the USA came from a middleman downstream of actual Pentax inventory, thus PRI could correctly state the planned production run was "sold" (John Carlson's wiord was "completed") but the actual cameras weren't in the hands of consumers..
Well when inventory is out off the factory, it is the one stuck with it having the task to empty the warehouse. So if they have planned to produce xxx number of K-01's and 15% was for USA and 25% for Europe and 60% for Japan then the sale is succesfull when the 60% off Japan is sold (leaving stock in warehouses elsewhere).
09-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Looks like the K01 really worked as a poisonous cba little apple.

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: How one sneaky little camera, bought as a novelty, can throw your whole plan off kilter. #Pentax