Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Oh, I'm manually focussing too because my lens is reversed
But the loupe just sits on the camera via gravity..

08-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Always felt a bit compromised by the External LCD only screen on my MX-1. Down here in South Florida the sun can really give off a glare. In really sunny days all I really see in the LCD is a reflection of my face. GONE!! I bought a anti glare reflective film for the LCD and it really works. Really!

Pentax MX 1 Screen Protector GEARMAXX Anti Glare | eBay
Thank you! Installed on my K01. glare gone! A beauty.
08-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I wanted to try it and got mine today. I have two K-01's and did a comparison in the sun. The cheap one was in fact better than Gearmaxx. But Gearmaxx has a nice fit and is usable, but no reason for having its own thread here :-)
I see links here for Gearmaxx...do you have more info for the 'cheap one' you think is better?

What are the drawbacks of these? I've used some antiglare films on iPhones but not sure they are 100% improvements -- good to dull glare but may darken screen a little and they introduce a bit of 'texture' that makes screen seem a bit less sharp...though camera LCD's might often have larger pixels than phones?
09-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #19

Thumbs up for this. I got mine today. The package has 2 pieces of films, a small piece of wiping cloth, and a plastic bubble squeezing card. The installation is very easy. No bubbles or anything afterward.
The film reduces the sharpness or the screen a bit, but the bright side is that I can now see and compose perfectly even in bright direct sun light. Totally worth the price. And you're damn right we now don't need no stinking EVF

09-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #20

Most are too young to remember!

No EVF?

During the late 1980s, it was "No Stinking Autofocus!" During the late 1960s, it was "No In-camera Light meter!" Imagine what you'd say now if your camera did not have auto focusing or in-camera metering. Also, remember, "Digital sucks!"
07-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #21
Forum Member

NuShield - Best Quality Screen Protectors
Got these instead; 2 to a pack, cut to fit, posted from USA to Oz in less than a week.
I had a flip-bac, which was OK, but difficult to get used to the inverted image especially when manual focussing.
Also have a loupe hood that I can use non-attached when shooting macro etc.
The NuShield DayVue is phenomenal and should be included in the box with every LCD camera, or at least on the counter at every camera shop.
I also found a longer-than-OEM strap like some from Camera Straps | CAM-in very useful when you reach the point in life (like me) when you need to hold the camera a bit further away to focus on the screen.
07-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This may actually make all the difference in how I feel about the Q10 I just ordered. I briefly had a K-01, but the bulk was really not any different from my K7, but less ergonomic for me to hold, and I hated the lack of EVF because glare constantly made the LCD pretty much useless, so I got rid of it. I've been eyeing the Q for awhile, but worried that I would find the same limitation with the screen. Just ordered one of these, so I can take that out of the equation. Thanks!

07-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
This may actually make all the difference in how I feel about the Q10 I just ordered. I briefly had a K-01, but the bulk was really not any different from my K7, but less ergonomic for me to hold, and I hated the lack of EVF because glare constantly made the LCD pretty much useless, so I got rid of it. I've been eyeing the Q for awhile, but worried that I would find the same limitation with the screen. Just ordered one of these, so I can take that out of the equation. Thanks!
A Q10 at 200g is roughly the difference in "bulk" between a 560g K-01 and a 750g K-7, so you will definitely notice a difference.
More dramatic is the difference in weight of the lenses. A Q10 is not much different in weight to say, a Sony A5000 but there is a massive difference in the weight of lenses. The kit telephoto zoom for the Sony weighs 345g, whilst the similar lens for the Q weighs only 90g.
A non-reflective screen is the perfect solution to glare/reflection and compatible with plates for loupes etc. (you can have both).
07-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
A Q10 at 200g is roughly the difference in "bulk" between a 560g K-01 and a 750g K-7, so you will definitely notice a difference.
More dramatic is the difference in weight of the lenses. A Q10 is not much different in weight to say, a Sony A5000 but there is a massive difference in the weight of lenses. The kit telephoto zoom for the Sony weighs 345g, whilst the similar lens for the Q weighs only 90g.
A non-reflective screen is the perfect solution to glare/reflection and compatible with plates for loupes etc. (you can have both).
The lenses are honestly what drew me to taking the plunge with the Q10. I want something super small and light for travel, but with at least some of the diversity offered by my DSLR - and I find I really like shooting either prime, or a nice long telephoto. The 06 lens is what really drew me, being so small and light, but with a really terrific range. The LCD and lack of VF was the only thing holding me back, and I really think this thread may have changed all of that for me. I just wish I had been able to get a kit that came with the 01 prime instead of the 02 zoom, but I'll wait to pick up the 01 now until I've had a chance to play with the camera and decide if it really is exactly what I've been looking for. I love having a good camera when I'm traveling, but find I only pack it with me on "special" planned days, because the K7 is no light beast to lug around. I'm hoping the Q10 will be my "everywhere, always" camera when I want one.