Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Big screen on back off K-02?

I think I stated that earlier somewhere that I'm in favor for getting a bigger screen on back of our camera.

The Samsung Galaxy NX has this super nice big screen.

camerasize.com: compare Samsung Galaxy NX | Pentax K-01

The great part in this is that that screen can actually fit on the back off the K-01, just scipping all the buttons like they are currently. So the camera doesn't have to get bigger to be this great. If there would be no EVF then the K-02 would be the same box. Offcourse it can have a different form.

What are your thoughts about a big screen?

We currently have a 3" screen on our Pentax camera's, where there are 3,2" wide screens on some Canikon's. This screen is 4,8" with only 921kdot (the same as on our 3"screens). So I think an even better screen would be great, since we want to look at something awesome and not just bigger screen. Resolution: qHD would be great mening: 960x540x3 is 1555kdot resolution. Offering the same resolution as the smaller screen that is on the K-01.

This would mean that the back off the K-01 would be filled with the screen with just a border around it.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 08-30-2013 at 01:07 AM.
08-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Not a fan. I'd prefer a smaller screen than 3" if it meant more physical buttons and switches.
08-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm also not a fan of (big) screens. I have switched them completely off on my camera's (K-5II, K-50) and use them only for changing settings via Menu. Now I also get much more shots from my battery.
08-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As long it is NOT a touch screen... I won't complain much

08-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First reaction was: not a fan.

Second reaction: New paradigm, why not a touch screen interface for the k-02? No it is not a traditional interface, but who says it has to be? Probably would not appeal to many (most) on this forum but it would appeal to some market segments. So a completely 'connected', touch screen, email and web enabled, k-mount camera. Covers the "I want to snap a picture and post on FB" crowd, covers the technical market where shooting a picture from the factory floor or project site is needed, covers a certain photojournalism market where getting the shot out FIRST means the money, covers the totally connected and have to every gadget market.

A K-mount camera with integrated apps for DOF calculation, lighting calculation, hyperfocal calculator, and a web browser.

Not sure Ricoh has the expertise to do this though, Samsung has huge experience in Android phones and makes cameras so the integration was a natural evolution for them. For Ricoh where do they get the Android (phone or tablet) technology?
08-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Second reaction: New paradigm, why not a touch screen interface for the k-02? No it is not a traditional interface, but who says it has to be? Probably would not appeal to many (most) on this forum but it would appeal to some market segments. So a completely 'connected', touch screen, email and web enabled, k-mount camera. Covers the "I want to snap a picture and post on FB" crowd, covers the technical market where shooting a picture from the factory floor or project site is needed, covers a certain photojournalism market where getting the shot out FIRST means the money, covers the totally connected and have to every gadget market.
I think you have made the best point to this!

For that task, we don't need buttons, but a good working way in the camera. I once stopped at McDonalds to have wifi to transfer an image to the news paper that had to be done in a not to slow way and no internet on the sportsvenue due to a mallfunction.
08-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I once stopped at McDonalds to have wifi to transfer an image to the news paper that had to be done in a not to slow way and no internet
It might seem weird to those of us with a more traditional mind set regarding cameras but a cellular connected camera would appeal to a certain market. Think about taking pictures in areas where you might get your card confiscated. Too late the image is already uploaded. Of course no one here would do anything like that......

But as to the original question - big screen - , I don't think it is for me but younger people are more used to touch screens and icons so a big screen with all virtual buttons might just work.
08-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

A K-mount camera with integrated apps for DOF calculation, lighting calculation, hyperfocal calculator, and a web browser.

Not sure Ricoh has the expertise to do this though, Samsung has huge experience in Android phones and makes cameras so the integration was a natural evolution for them. For Ricoh where do they get the Android (phone or tablet) technology?
This makes tons of sense. But then why keep the K-01 retro aesthetic at all? Why not repackage into a more modern design, a la the NEX series? How important is the Marc Newson design, anyway? Does this become some other camera entirely?

08-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
This makes tons of sense. But then why keep the K-01 retro aesthetic at all? Why not repackage into a more modern design, a la the NEX series? How important is the Marc Newson design, anyway? Does this become some other camera entirely?
Well a few main things defining the camerasize are:
- the great backscreen
- K-mount, meaning at least the thickness off the K-01.
- electronics inside the camera around the sensor and offcourse running the camera.

So it will never turn into a thinnish NEX camera, but offcourse it won't have to be a Marc Newson design to be a mirrorless K-mount camera.
08-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This makes tons of sense.
Just thought off these two sentences.

Offcourse with modern AF lenses the camera can actually know the distence between sensor and the subject in focus, thus knowing with the lens connected what DOF and so on is for that particular scene viable.
08-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looked at the screen and size off the K-01. One can fit a 4,2" wide screen on it as maximum. I think the Samsung screen is also smaller then they claim, the borders are counted to I guess.

But a 4" to 4,2" inch widescreen is huge.

Resolution: qHD would be great
mening: 960x540x3 is 1555kdot resolution.

Offering the same resolution as the smaller screen that is on the K-01.
08-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Then why not just buy a Nikon, with the manual imbedded right into the camera so people who don't even know thing one about cameras can learn as they go
08-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Then why not just buy a Nikon, with the manual imbedded right into the camera so people who don't even know thing one about cameras can learn as they go
It's not k-mount?

I wouldn't buy it in any mount, not my thing, I'm too old school. I still have a black eye from trying to look through the viewfinder on my k-01.

But for a lot of people a traditional DSLR body is as foreign as a touch screen camera with embedded manual is to us. I don't see this as a dslr replacement but as something that opens a whole new market.

And I don't see this concept as a 'beginner' camera, I think it has a lot of application in business, industry, sports, journalism, field research and documentation. Lots of applications where tablets are starting to make inroads on laptops for field work but where the addition of a good quality camera system has added advantages. Add WR so I can take it on field surveys with applications for geo-location and species inventory and you have a winner for lots of people who work in the woods. The catch is developing 'must have' software applications that integrate with the hardware.
08-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Site Supporter

How important is the Marc Newson design, anyway?
Not important to me at all. I think there is a whole list of things I would change on a k-02 but the concept of a mirror-less k-mount has a lot of attraction. It is a compromise since the size is somewhat fixed but if the screen becomes even a more important integrated part of the camera then the need for buttons and OVF is reduced.
08-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #15

Great thread!

I think some of this needs to go on the mirrorless ideas list:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-mirrorless-camera-discussion/23369...as-anyone.html