Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Q10/Q7 or K-01 or other?

I guess this is the best place to post this-

I've recently been trying to think the best way to document my job. I work as an architectural designer. I would like to tell a story of the project from construction start, during to completion. The biggest benefit sometimes is access. I have had access to areas and locations throughout NYC that the average person couldn't get to; Celebrity homes, high-rises, roofs, and historic/prominent buildings. I hate to say it but most have gone undocumented. I've at times just popped a few shots on my iPhone.

I use to use my company gear but it was always dirty and not well maintained (for pristine photographs). It was fine for snap shots of existing/repair conditions. I have recently transitioned to using my own gear. I've done some entire building completion shoots but that's full fledge with k-5/k-r, 28shift, uwa and telephoto (for details) lenses.

Here is where my problem presents itself- I need/want to have a camera to take quality on-going photos of the little (or big!) intricacies of my daily tasks. I can't lug my k-5 or even k-r w/lens to every job site, meeting, etc. I need something I can have in my pocket at all times/all day.

K-01
Pros: IQ, takes k-mount lenses
Cons: size, price

Q10/Q7
Pros: size, price
Cons: q-mount

Comments? Ideas? Any additional pros or cons??

09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sony RX100 (M1 or M2) is still the best pocketable camera with zoom available on the market today. Otherwise consider a Ricoh GR.
09-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd imagine you'll run into areas where light is low and the differences b/t light and dark are high. In those cases, the k01 will give you high iso and dynamic range that the Q can't compete with. Of course having a deep DOF is a Q strength even w/ wide apertures... So both have their strengths. If there's a way to manage the size, I'd stick w/ your k5. But since you're saying it's too big, the k01 won't help much. By default, it's the Q. Still way better than your iphone! If you can bring a flash and a wireless transmitter, that could address the low light areas without too much size penalties...
09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Sony RX100 (M1 or M2) is still the best pocketable camera with zoom available on the market today. Otherwise consider a Ricoh GR.
This is a P&S? No lens interchangeability? Not sure if I want this feature of not. Image quality is important. I'd like to shoot in raw tho- so I can edit to my liking. Not sure this does. Was also trying to stay with pentax since I'm vested and familar but if there's a better option I'm all hears. Will look into the Sony more.

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I'd imagine you'll run into areas where light is low and the differences b/t light and dark are high. In those cases, the k01 will give you high iso and dynamic range that the Q can't compete with. Of course having a deep DOF is a Q strength even w/ wide apertures... So both have their strengths. If there's a way to manage the size, I'd stick w/ your k5. But since you're saying it's too big, the k01 won't help much. By default, it's the Q. Still way better than your iphone! If you can bring a flash and a wireless transmitter, that could address the low light areas without too much size penalties...
I've heard the k-01 isnt much different size wise than my k-r. if it were much smaller with k-mount i'd be sold. Q's IQ is what makes me skeptical being that it is so small. i am toying with keeping k-5 and one lens (possibly k-r since its slightly smaller). If I stick with this option, I have to think what lens would be appropriate? Prime or zoom? I think to evoke the sense of "being there" I'd want a "normal lens"- 35mm to 50mm. I'm not sure.

09-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q7, its small so it goes into a waist pouch (or even a clips to the belt if you have the right carrier) so you will never miss a moment.
Its also 'less serious' so it encourages one to shoot more.
What you need is a camera that is not a hassle to bring out and bring with.

IQ is good enough for your needs (my few cents is not to fall into that vicious cycle of IQ not comparing to larger sensor line of thought, because many such small cameras make decent prints up to A4 and is more than enough for normal viewing on screen; else, you'd end up again with a largish APS-C type camera and bringing it out less.)

Else, the MX1 is a good buy now too.
09-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Jaywes, that Sony has a superb sensor, shoots RAW, better quality than the Q, and its 28-100 mm lens covers the situations your OP mentioned.

But all that quality will cost you more than a Q.
09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If you really want something compact, I can second both of these recommendations. The Sony's better that any of the Q's as far as image quality goes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening,

I am an engineer and like to shoot architecture. I have a K5 and a 28 shift as do you. It's bulky, and certainly not very portable. The K-01 is smaller but still similar in size to the K5 - nor is it really pocketable either. I also have a Q. The Q's size is wonderful and with its smaller sensor it makes a wonderful camera platform for telephoto work - which is not landscapes. A smaller sensor is not really conducive to wide angle shooting.

So, what to do? Several years ago I also picked up a Panasonic LX3, with a f2 Leica zoom lens (28mm to 60mm equiv) and manual controls. I found it nearly perfect. I liked the short zoom, sized right for carrying around - essentially pocketable (coat, jacket, but not Levis). The down size was the sensor size - which did have some noise in terms of ambient low light shooting - and it topped out at ISO 3200. But, I really liked the concept and the execution is nearly perfect. By the way, I still have it - even though my son took it away to school - he brought it back when he graduated.

Where am I going with all of this? The right sensor size for shooting architecture is really full frame, which is not really pocketable either (even with the new Sony RX1 (priced at $2,800)). The next best option is as you have observed - an APS-C sensor - the K5/K-01. But it too is not sufficiently portable. There is the 4:3 (Olympus and Panasonic) -the EPL-1's etc. Still a bit bulky for everyday. That takes us to the RX100 as others have recommended. Larger sensor than the LX3 - should be better with the noise (like the Sony sensor in the K5). It does have a fixed lens, but at 28-100mm. I have found my LX3 easy to shoot and it was the first camera to have a wide fixed lens and it does work very well. I think your concerns are well placed, but I also think that the RX100 will fit your purposes and needs very well. Photography is a compromise - and I think that the Sony is a reasonable comprise for your intentions.

I would also suggest stitching, for wider shots. Microsoft ICE (free) is very good at stitching the results together - and the price is right.

09-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

I would also suggest stitching, for wider shots. Microsoft ICE (free) is very good at stitching the results together - and the price is right.

+1 to ICE.
09-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI I have recovered nearly black images from RAW Q files. Lightroom exposure compensation worked a charm.
That doesn't really answer the question, but the Q is still a big pocketful.

From what you say, the biggest key is to have a capable wide-angle camera you can keep easily in your pocket.
09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all for your inputs.

Please let me clarify my expectations: I won't be attempting to capture whole buildings with said camera weather it's sony/Q/K-01. At project completion I will bring out all my gear(k-5, multiple lenses, tripod, etc.) and capture completion photos. During construction is a little different. It will be where I am at any particular moment and what I am seeing directly in front of me. I want to capture a general summation of what going on.

-Sony rx100 looks fantastic but high on the price side.
-Ricoh GR also looks promising but a similar price to the above.
-Pentax Mx-1 doesn't look too bad and price is reasonable.
-Pentax Q7 is similar price to Mx-1 but smaller sensor.
-K-01 is bigger as stated and not so pocket-able.

I will test out bringing my k-5 around and see how it and I fair. I think the Q's IQ would suffice and be the size I'd want to carry daily. Thanks again for your input.
09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a Pentax MX-1.

The K-01 is still big and the Q7 has the same sensor as the MX-1, just no hassle with lenses.
09-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think that the Q7 would work slightly better than the Q/Q10 due to the increased sensor size which reduces the crop factor a bit. The 02 zoom lens, 5-15mm or an equivalent 23 – 69mm focal length would probably work better than really the only other alternative the 01, which is 8.5mm or a 47mm equivalent focal length, in terms of versatility (has a wider angle view). The down size of the 02 lens is its size.

It is the combination of the body and lens size.

Sorry about not being able to find two images with a similar scale. The challenge in my mind is the lens protrusion from the body of the 02 lens compared to the 01 lens. The 01 lens when mounted is much more "pocketable" than the 02 - which tends to make the camera body + lens volume larger. Also, in "construction yellow", you will never be misplacing the camera.

The MX-1 is slightly larger, but has a reduced lens protrusion with a similar zoom range of the Q's 02 lens.