Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

At a fork in the road...

Hey Pentaxians!

I am a K-7 photog, but this camera is starting to wear out (flash release broken) outside highlights blow out if it's not sunrise/sunset, the 18-55mm kit lens has self-destructed.
The fork in the road I'm sitting at is- should I re-invest in lenses and save for a K-5 II body? Or look at going for smaller and lighter for my indoor photography?

I do alot of the following:
Low-light with low-power flash (Events)
Portraits
Flowers
Landscape panoramas

In a nutshell, this photoset sums up my photography:
Flickr: chattphotos' Photostream

Are any of the K/Q mirrorless ones up to the job?

09-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
outside highlights blow out if it's not sunrise/sunset,
? Due to wearing out which part?

If my K-7 ever wears out or fails, I'll be looking only at the current flagship model.
I have two Pentax MILCs (K-01 and Q) and as fun as they are, they are no substitute for a full-on dslr, no matter your style.
You have a lot of outdoor work in your photostream, so I'd not recommend an MILC only kit.
09-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

You can find deals on K5 classic cameras right now.
09-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

First off, great photos! I enjoyed looking at your Flickr stream.

I am currently eagerly awaiting a K-01 in the mail, but I can't imagine giving up what my K-7 offers me. You know what I'm talking about: PDAF, OVF, proper grip, electronic level, direct controls, etc.

I'd say that my feelings are summed up by sledger. :-)

09-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Let us know what you end up doing...of course I can't really comment, but I am interested in what you decide. I've always thought I would wait for a K-7 successor with focus peaking (and other stuff...) but the K-01 was too good to pass up!
09-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Q would not be a substitute for low light. The K-01 however kinda shines here due to the focus peaking. Still, I look at my K-01 to supplement my kit, and for its going rate, just buy one. If you don't like it, sell it. I think you'll really like how it meters skies tho, this has been the most striking difference from my K-5. The K-01 just meters better. It's a nifty camera and more ergonomic than you might imagine.
09-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
@sledger, After I went to Europe, I'm not sure what's up or if it's an accidentally setting, but getting skyline photos the way I used to doesn't work, the sky is always white. Plus I can't shoot wide anymore as the lens that does that job is currently in 3 pieces.

But I'll post on the DSLR section to get that stuff resolved.

I ask about the MILC's to augment my K-7, not replace it. Just trying to get a feel of personal experiences with these cameras. (both the good and the bad) Plus, I'd love to see photos done by you + the MILC.
09-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just looking at your pictures, a couple of comments:
You'd really benefit from the extra dynamic range of a k-5 or newer. Especially for your sunset/sunrise pictures. When we bought our K-5 our K20D became undesirable. We now have 2 K-5s. That DR is a function of an amazing sensor, still a top 10 rated sensor on DxO comparing with sensors that are much more expensive.

We love our K-01 as a second boby. There are times when that view screen is more functional than an OVF and it's much better on batteries than a K-5 in live view. I've taken some images with it (perched on a ledge with a 12 foot drop in front of me, where looking through an OVF would have been dangerous and required a contortionist. With the Live View on the K-01 it was a piece of cake.

Personally, I think you're looking for a K-30 with 18-135 package...the WR lenses tend to have a more solid build and if your 18-55 self destructed, it sounds like that might be something you'd appreciate. I'd say K-5 II, but that's a lot more money. I've kicked mysekf many times for not going K-30 when I bought my last K-5. The K-30 is the first model that benefitted from Pentax's push to improve their AF system. It's now somewhat discounted with the release of the K-50 and there are some great deals out there.

09-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fun fact, a few of those panoramas (most anything with _stitch) were shot with the K100D Super.

But the DR improvement in the K-5/newer is very good to know, I've been looking to see what Pentax would release this year, but it looks like it's time to start pricing stuff.

My kit also includes the DA* 55mm and the 50-200mm WR. It all has been through Sea World, the rains of Venice, and waterfalls. If I had any other brand, I would have been looking at ruined gear more than once on my adventures.

Does anyone know where I could rent the K-01?
09-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Heed Yogi Berra's advice...

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Chris
10-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
LSR

For the price the K-o1 with 40mm kit is selling for at the moment, the value is fantastic. I'd recommend it to anyone who owns more than one Pentax mount lens.