Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
You should get yourself a GoPro for that thing. They are not so expensive and take nice snaps too.
Looks like it is designed to fit a GoPro in the kit you get.

The GoPro is a bit lighter but you are stuck with the ultra wide FOV

( the exif in "Photome" it's listed 2.5mm about equivalent to 16mm on FF - 11MP Hero 3 Silver Version as seen stuck to my head on the left over there)

<======

10-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
gbeaton You should get yourself a GoPro for that thing. They are not so expensive and take nice snaps too.
That's all I need is ANOTHER camera.
10-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
steve1307
Looks like it is designed to fit a GoPro in the kit you get.

The GoPro is a bit lighter but you are stuck with the ultra wide FOV

( the exif in "Photome" it's listed 2.5mm about equivalent to 16mm on FF - 11MP Hero 3 Silver Version as seen stuck to my head on the left over there)
Yes, the Phantom is designed for the GoPro. But does the GoPro shoot in RAW? (Not that I need ANOTHER camera)
10-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Yes, the Phantom is designed for the GoPro. But does the GoPro shoot in RAW? (Not that I need ANOTHER camera)

Shoots RAW and ProTune video, and 5-11 MP JPEG photos

11-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Shoots RAW and ProTune video, and 5-11 MP JPEG photos
Ah, well, I'll pass on that, but thanks for the reply.

As indicated previously, I already had the Q. The point of the post is to indicate that the Q can be used for aerial photography with the Phantom. I'll post more from the air as I play with it, hopefully I can take it out this weekend.
11-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
New flight test shots posted, replacing the old ones. New ones shot at 1/800s with Q7 and 02 Zoom at 5mm.
Attached Images

11-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice!

11-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another Flight Test

This is from a test yesterday (Nov. 10, 2013). I wanted to try to get some images of the local mountains. This time the weather cooperated. The web page has a description of the test and location. The images on the website are full res quickly processed from DNG in the Silkypix software that comes with the Q7. Below is a sample image. Enjoy!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
11-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #24

Nice shots! I fly 3 quadcopters (and a plane) for aerial photography & video, 2 have DJI FC's and the other uses a multiwii board. Lot's use gopro's for this and the gp3 actually has nice snaps, but you have that distortion. I was thinking of getting a Q just for this purpose, but in the end decided on a NEX-5N because of it's video capabilities.

Also noticed the WG-2 we bought our daughter has intervolometer capability (as well as 720-60p video) so I hope to sneak it out for a flight soon too.. :-)
11-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Dear Santa... !?
Nicely done and great idea - thanks for sharing!
11-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey @icrop where are you located?
The shots above look like Santa Fe dam and El Encanto park in Duarte?
If yes you are very close by, may have pay you a visit when you fly that setup.
11-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
Nice shots! I fly 3 quadcopters (and a plane) for aerial photography & video, 2 have DJI FC's and the other uses a multiwii board. Lot's use gopro's for this and the gp3 actually has nice snaps, but you have that distortion. I was thinking of getting a Q just for this purpose, but in the end decided on a NEX-5N because of it's video capabilities.

Also noticed the WG-2 we bought our daughter has intervolometer capability (as well as 720-60p video) so I hope to sneak it out for a flight soon too.. :-)
If you're lifting a NEX-5N aloft, you're using a larger airframe than the Phantom.
One thing I like about this setup is it's so small. Granted, a larger sensor would yield better photos, but a man needs to know his limits, and I think this setup is MY limit.
Thanks for looking, Glen, and have fun!
11-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Dear Santa... !?
Nicely done and great idea - thanks for sharing!
Christmas is right around the corner, so this sounds like perfect timing. I hope all your wishes come true.
Thanks for looking.
11-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Hey @icrop where are you located?
The shots above look like Santa Fe dam and El Encanto park in Duarte?
If yes you are very close by, may have pay you a visit when you fly that setup.
Hi Larry. I work in Irwindale. Most of the images were taken around there. Yes, you can see Santa Fe Dam and Encanto Park in some of the images.

I typically try not to draw crowds when I fly it (that way there are fewer witnesses if I make a boneheaded mistake). And at this point I think I have most of the aircraft/photography parameters dialed in. So, I won't be doing many more flight tests, just using it on trips to take aerial photos.

Given the limited capacity of the battery on the Phantom (less than 3 minutes on this last one, as indicated on my web page) these tests don't last long. So, depending on where you're coming from, it might be along drive for a few minute view of the thing flying.

If I take it out locally again, I'll shoot you a PM, giving as much notice as possible.
11-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds good. I am in Baldwin Park most days.