Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Did you guys just become best friends!?
Brought to you by Pentax

12-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So freakin cool iCrop. You only get 3 min of flying time on a battery? Wow. Thats even worse than a Q. Is it possible to have extra batteries to swap out for more flights per day? How many shots and how far apart are you planning to set the intravalometer for?
thanks
barondla
12-13-2013, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
So freakin cool iCrop. You only get 3 min of flying time on a battery? Wow. Thats even worse than a Q. Is it possible to have extra batteries to swap out for more flights per day? How many shots and how far apart are you planning to set the intravalometer for?
thanks
barondla
Just got back from a 10 day trip to Southeast Utah and Northeast Arizona. Took the Q7 and Phantom, hoping to get aerial shots, along with my usual accompaniment of cameras. It'll be a few days before anything gets posted, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Regarding the batteries, turns out one that I have is a dud. I tried flying it at Canyon de Chelly. It got about 20 feet off the ground and immediately came back down due to low power. I figured it was because it was about 30°F. Later, in Valley of the Gods, I was able to get about 5 minutes in 20°F weather, and about the same in Monument Valley, on a windy day.

I set the interval on the Q7 to its minimum, 3 sec. and maximum number of shots. On a typical flight it'll take 100 to 150 shots, a lot of them of the ground as it sits waiting for me to lift off or after it lands.

Please stay tuned...

12-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool stuff. Can't wait to see more pics. Very interesting type of photography. Wish there was a way to see what is being shot. Would a flu card transmit the photos to a lap top after the shot? If so you could hover and fine adjust composition.
thanks
barondla
12-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would a flu card transmit the photos to a lap top after the shot? If so you could hover and fine adjust composition.
thanks
Barondla: I think that would only work with the K3 and the FluCard for Pentax. At this time I don't think the Q7 is enabled for remote operation.
12-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Phantom advises to TURN OFF the wifi on a GoPro when flying as apparently it can interfere with the signal and your copter might just fly off into the sunset (or oblivion) with you frantically thumb-wrestling the controls.

I guess the same would go for FLU card or EYE-FI. The Q7 is compatible with EYE-FI isn't it.

12-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I definitely wouldn't run two devices using the same 2.4 GHz spectrum next to each other - especially if they're expensive toys in the air.
12-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool stuff. Can't wait to see more pics. Very interesting type of photography. Wish there was a way to see what is being shot. Would a flu card transmit the photos to a lap top after the shot? If so you could hover and fine adjust composition.
thanks
barondla
Thanks. The latest version of the Phantom, the Phantom Vision, has an integrated camera, which will send video over WiFi to a cell phone attached to the remote control. This, unfortunately, eliminates the use of the Q/Q7, so I won't be getting one.

Steve1307 and Clackers are right, running additional WiFi devices can disrupt the operation of the Phantom, so that's not advised. Though, I don't know that the Q7 is compatible with the Eye-Fi card.

Higher priorities prevent me from adding new images to the web site, but they'll definitely be posted after the holidays.

Thanks for looking.
01-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update

OK, it's been a while. Now that the holidays are over I was able to upload images from one of three flights to the website.

As mentioned previously, in late November/early December I took a trip to Arizona and Utah. I took the Phantom and Q7 to try to get some 'aerial landscapes'. The group just posted was from a flight in Moab, Utah. I tried to get a photo of La Sal mountain, south of Moab. The flight was done in the back yard of a house we rented for a few days. It had snowed a couple days earlier and everything was covered in snow. I placed the Phantom on what I thought was a firm snow pack, and it sunk into the snow. But, not too far. A few blobs of snow ended up on the 02 Zoom lens, so you'll see some spots here and there. Given my earlier experiences with battery longevity in the cold, and my own freezing bits, the flight was short, and, in retrospect, the Phantom didn't go as high as I think it could have. The result is that I only got the peaks of La Sal. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make another trip.
The set of the best shots of the flight can be found at MCHerdering Photography and click on the 'Aerial Photography' link on the upper left.

(It appears the program I used to generate the web page stripped the EXIF data from the images. I'll be fixing that soon.)
01-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Very cool. I have a home-brew multi-wii quad gathering dust on the shelf. I'll have to pull it out and shake off the rust. I've done a lot of AP, but only with planes; I've never had the nerve to attach a camera to the quad. I saw an ad for the DJI Vision yesterday. $1,200 with a camera claimed to be capable of 14Mp stills and HD video, IIRC. Definitely for someone with deeper pockets than I.

Tony
01-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Very cool. I have a home-brew multi-wii quad gathering dust on the shelf. I'll have to pull it out and shake off the rust. I've done a lot of AP, but only with planes; I've never had the nerve to attach a camera to the quad. I saw an ad for the DJI Vision yesterday. $1,200 with a camera claimed to be capable of 14Mp stills and HD video, IIRC. Definitely for someone with deeper pockets than I.
Tony
Thanks Tony. The Phantom Vision is pretty pricy, so I won't be going there unless the price drops A LOT. This setup, with the Q7, is fun.
I say dust off your quad and mount a Q on it. You can have fun too!
01-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Thanks Tony. The Phantom Vision is pretty pricy, so I won't be going there unless the price drops A LOT. This setup, with the Q7, is fun.
I say dust off your quad and mount a Q on it. You can have fun too!
I may have to give that a try . . . after I buy the 55-300 WR!

Tony
01-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On December 7th we left Maob and headed south toward Monument Valley. We had been told to stop at Valley Of The Gods, which is on the way. It was cold, again, and a storm was approaching, but there was no one else there, so I took the opportunity to send up the Q7. I wish I had taken it higher, but it was around 25F, so I only took it up about 75 feet. Oh well, I'll just have to go back... As always, the set of the best shots of the flight can be found at MCHerdering Photography and click on the 'Aerial Photography' link on the upper left.
01-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume this quad copter would work pretty good with the Ricoh GR? (Meaning, it's not too heavy for it?)...