Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I'd like to have that rc plane, but with my luck I'd crash it and break it
This is my maiden flight with it..

And this is one from last summer:

There is lots more glue and extra wood one on this fuselage that it had when I built it. I've broken the fuse about 4 times I think..

02-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I'd like to have that rc plane, but with my luck I'd crash it and break it
It can happen. Experienced help makes a lot of difference if one is new to r/c flight. It is not hard to learn, but takes patience and practice. I certainly wouldn't try it with a camera on board until you've gained a fair bit of proficiency.

Tony

Last edited by TonyTurley; 04-02-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling
03-04-2014, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #63

Original Poster
Found Some Time To Fly

Had an opportunity to take the Q7 (with 02 zoom) and Phantom up once more, this time at Lake Bard in Ventura County, CA. As has happened before, the first flight had the wrong focal length set on the camera, so I had to send it up again. The second flight was at sunset, so a few of those are washed out. All photos were quickly processed in Photoshop, so they're less than perfect, but good enough to get an idea of the surroundings. Here is one that I spent a little more time with in Photoshop:

To see the full set, go to MCHerdering Photography and click on the 'Aerial Photography' link on the upper left.
Until next time...
04-02-2014, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

I finally decided to mount my Q + 01 on my trusty old Easystar yesterday evening. The balance was perfect. It was a beautiful evening with hazy sunshine, but quite windy. I made the mistake of setting the Q on "Sports", and with the fading light, many of the pics were junk. A few were OK, but not great. However, I was able to prove the mounting and intervalometer worked great. Next time I'm going to set the camera to Shutter Priority at 1/500.

I am presently accumulating parts to build a Flame Wheel 330 clone. I'm going to use the control board and ESCs from a Blade 350 QX. I intend for it to carry the Q eventually. I'm also mounting some tall LG on my 450 quad for camera clearance. R/C flight has become fun again.

04-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #65
Site Supporter

TonyTurley, no idea what a flame wheel is. Why would it be better than your pefectly balanced present set up?

Can't wait to see some pics.
thanks
barondla
04-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just realised that it's 25 years this year since I last flew my RC Helis and planes.
04-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #67
Veteran Member

barondla, Flame Wheel is the trade name for a type of quad copter. It isn't intended as replacement for my current setup, but an augmentation. There are some situations where getting photos with an airplane isn't feasible. p38, I've gone through periods of a year or two where I didn't fly much, but I always come back to it. I can guarantee you the state of the hobby has changed considerably in 25 years. Small, light, and inexpensive models that will fly 15 minutes are more are now commonplace. The camera plane shown in my "Airborne Q" post will fly an hour, although 30 minutes is usually my limit before I need a break.

---------- Post added 04-03-14 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Had an opportunity to take the Q7 (with 02 zoom) and Phantom up once more...
Mike, I don't recall seeing your camera settings in your posts. Do you use one of the programmed settings, or Shutter Priority? I found with my airplane setup the Q Sports mode didn't turn out so well with some late evening photos.
04-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Mike, I don't recall seeing your camera settings in your posts. Do you use one of the programmed settings, or Shutter Priority? I found with my airplane setup the Q Sports mode didn't turn out so well with some late evening photos.
Hi Tony. Details for each flight are posted on my web site, and in most cases EXIF data is intact. For my terrestrial photography I almost always use aperture priority, for my hummingbird photography I use TAv and for my aerial photography I've found shutter priority, at 1/800s yields the sharpest images. I tried 1/500s, but it's not as sharp, I figure because of vibration. With either shutter speed, evening shots will be iffy, the high ISO shots end up being pretty noisy.
Looking forward to seeing some shots from your Q and Easystar.

04-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Thanks Mike. We've had pretty nasty weather the past couple of days, but it's supposed to clear by Sunday. I hope to get some good pics then.
04-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #70
Pentaxian

iCrop : any links to samples of video shot with your rig?

And for the GoPro shooters - the lens on the GoPro is an M12 mount, there's a whole raft of lenses that can be used on the cameras, but wait till your warranty has expired

BTW - Phillip Bloom has just posted this up - DJI + GoPro

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-19-2014 at 12:47 AM.
04-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #71

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
iCrop : any links to samples of video shot with your rig?
Sorry, PiDicus, I'm a still photographer, so no videos. Perhaps I'll try that next month when I get a chance to fly it again.
05-28-2014, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #72

Original Poster
So, it's been a while. I was able to finally get a vacation and went to Lake Tahoe here in California for a week. It was warm, ~78F, when we arrived, but always a bit too windy to fly the Phantom. It slowly grew colder and cloudier. On the 19th we had hail and the morning of the 20th woke to falling snow. Quite a range of weather.

On the 21st we were able to come across Lily Lake, a small lake south of Tahoe where the air was calm enough to fly. The aerial images turned out fairly well. The only problem was trying to find a place, away from crowds, to take off and land. I found a 'relatively flat' volcanic plug to use as a landing pad. No damage done in the landing, fortunately.

Here's a shot taken with the Pentax Q7 and 02 zoom:
as always, a link to all the good photos can be found by clicking on the Aerial Photography link in the upper left of my web site below. Thanks for looking.
05-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Great job, Mike.
06-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #74

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Great job, Mike.
Thanks Tony.

So, on the way back home from Tahoe we stopped for a couple nights in Death Valley. A storm was passing through when we arrived, but cleared out overnight. Mid-day at Badwater Basin was calm enough to fly the Phantom.

I hiked out on the salt flat a couple hundred yards to get away from the parking lot and crowd. I needed to take a 360 panorama with my K-3 and D800 for a project, so I took those first. By the time I'd finished those, about 8 more people wandered out. So, I had a few spectators.

I took the Phantom up about 100 feet and spun it around a couple times before it started to descend on its own. I think I need to get the 08 zoom for the Q7. It's lighter than the 02 zoom I'm currently using, so maybe the Phantom will stay up longer. That, and maybe a higher capacity battery, if I can source one.

Here's one of the set from Badwater Basin, Death Valley (Q7 & 08 Zoom at 5mm):

The link to this set, and the others, can be found at MCHerdering Photography, just click on the Aerial Photography link in the upper left.

Thnaks again for looking,
07-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #75

Original Poster
Aerial Panoramas?

So, it occurred to me that some of the images from one of my flights could be stitched into a panorama. Usually you have to be careful to make sure your camera is level and angled properly to minimize distortion in the image. I didn't have high hopes that this would work, but it looks as though, on a calm day, it can be done. The top image below is from 8 images taken back in November, 2013, with the Q7/02 Zoom at 5mm on the DJI Phantom. They were stitched in Photoshop CS6, then cropped to make the bottom image. I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did. Taken from around 150' up.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo