Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #1

Rumors, Wishes, and Hype

Since the rumors are getting out of control, I want to ask all of you to focus your ideas, so we can give Pentax/Ricoh a real feeling of what we want, instead of hype about what might be going on.

Here's my go:

My PZ-1p takes great pictures and has all the bells and whistles, but, if I shoot film, I use my ME Super. The reason is that it just feels better, it's less complicated, and has a pleasing aesthetic. I don't think I need a million buttons to take a picture -- just one will do.

It's what most of us are asking for the Pentax Digital FF to be, though, a professional camera. I respect and share the love that you all have for Pentax and the desire to see them surpass the Big Two. But I didn't fall for Pentax because I wanted to be a professional photographer. I'm a Pentaxian because I feel a warmth in my heart holding my simple old camera while trying to capture a moment.

Now that mirrorless cameras are out there, like the Fuji X-E2 or the Sony Nex or A7 models, I can get all of my old glass on some pretty incredible sensors. The reason I hesitate is not because of lack of features pairing Pentax with another brand, but it is for simple dedication to the idea of holding a Pentax camera in my hand just like I did for the first time years ago and feeling at home.

So I'd like to say to Pentax (Ricoh), "Give me something simple, classic, and beautiful." I don't care if it has a mirror and OVF, since I don't think you could pull off the look of the LX with one (and EVF these days is fine for composition). I don't really care if you change the mount, so long as the adapter to K mount looks like it absolutely belongs on the camera. And I don't really care if it's full frame, actually give me 24mp aps-c with a Pentax made focal reducer, and I'll be waiting in line to buy it.

I just want a camera that acts, feels, and looks like it's legendary in its ease of operation, rugged feel, and elegant exterior. This simple design goes with an equally simple concept, that should be felt by all who pick up a camera they love... "let's go take some pictures."

10-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, LX-D without back LCD screen. Info in viewfinder and on top, and a small screen for raw histogram. As compact as possible. Uncrippled Kmount, and good flash functionality. WR, and sold with 24mm WR lens.
Something like this would really stir up the photographic community, but might be a total disaster as far as world wide sales are concerned. I expect Pentax will continue releasing cameras in line with K-50 and K-3.
10-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, LX-D without back LCD screen. Info in viewfinder and on top, and a small screen for raw histogram. As compact as possible. Uncrippled Kmount, and good flash functionality. WR, and sold with 24mm WR lens.
Something like this would really stir up the photographic community, but might be a total disaster as far as world wide sales are concerned. I expect Pentax will continue releasing cameras in line with K-50 and K-3.
Such a camera would only make sense as a very expensive, limited run (10,000 units) Halo-effect camera - as the 645D was originally intended (whooops! people want more of these?).
10-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
My PZ-1p takes great pictures and has all the bells and whistles, but, if I shoot film, I use my ME Super. The reason is that it just feels better, it's less complicated, and has a pleasing aesthetic. I don't think I need a million buttons to take a picture -- just one will do.
+1. Digital ME Super please. It's my favourite camera body ever. Even though my ME super is broken I still refuse to sell the M40 lens just because I like it too much.

I dont need any fancy features, just a good, bright VF and a back screen, heck, make it manual focus, as long as the VF is as good as the ME super.

K10D is basically a digital PZ-1P

10-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The "Dear Pentax"-thread contains many genius ideas. Sporadic bad ones too of course. Pentax doesn't seem to follow Pentaxforums in any way though.
10-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The "Dear Pentax"-thread contains many genius ideas. Sporadic bad ones too of course. Pentax doesn't seem to follow Pentaxforums in any way though.
Actually, yes, they do.
10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My next camera will likely be a Fuji x100s unless Pentax comes out with an equivalent FF or not... so that's where my vote goes.
10-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, yes, they do.
Then what's their excuse then?!

10-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

God hears your prayers, but the answer may be no!
10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First off, just as a note, I don't care one iota about FF, except that FF will make Pentax a contender with Canikon, and that's a good thing. But personally, I couldn't care less.

However, I hear you about the simple camera that feels good in the hand. For me, that's the Pentax K-01. It feels like the ME Super and the K-1000. It gives me all the joy of holding those cameras, but with autofocus and an amazing sensor. If they had just gave it a retro flair instead of a marc nitwit flair, I believe it would have sold much better than it did. And it would be the perfect camera for me.

Charles.
10-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Great LX-D idea! I would still like a LCD screen on back or at least the ability to pair with a phone or tablet to show off pics instantly.

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
My next camera will likely be a Fuji x100s unless Pentax comes out with an equivalent FF or not... so that's where my vote goes.
Fuji x100s? Why not a Pro, E1, or E2 so you can adapt other glass to it?

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
However, I hear you about the simple camera that feels good in the hand. For me, that's the Pentax K-01. It feels like the ME Super and the K-1000. It gives me all the joy of holding those cameras, but with autofocus and an amazing sensor. If they had just gave it a retro flair instead of a marc nitwit flair, I believe it would have sold much better than it did. And it would be the perfect camera for me.

I have a K-01 and I really do love it, but I think that EVF would be nice. You're right that a retro design would be wonderful, but a simpler, less toy-like, more low key design would be fine. Maybe, if they decide to design one, the K-02 could be all that I ask for. 24mp sensor would be nice, especially if they have the anti moiré effect of the K-3. I think it may be interesting to see an interchangeable front mount. It could come in the native K mount, Q mount, and K mount + tele compressor (making your lenses equivalent to FF angle of view and adding a stop of speed). If you wanted to go on, you might ask for a weather sealed magnesium alloy body, tilting glare resistant lcd display, dual SD card slots...

Many of the video geeks loved the K-01 also, but it had its shortcomings. Though I would buy a K-02 that didn't shoot video all, if they were trying to really get video guys on board, there should be HDMI out while shooting, headphone jack, 1080p 60fps... Along with the other adapters can be one with a clickless aperture control like the ones they sell to adapt K mount to E mount.
10-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joel_tauzin Quote
I would still like a LCD screen on back or at least the ability to pair with a phone or tablet to show off pics instantly.
Yes, I was thinking that a tablet/smartphone as LCD would be a good solution. That way the camera is nice and thin, has a viewfinder, but you can choose live view and look at all camera info, as well as settings and commands on the phone/tablet.
10-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joel_tauzin Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Great LX-D idea! I would still like a LCD screen on back or at least the ability to pair with a phone or tablet to show off pics instantly.

Fuji x100s? Why not a Pro, E1, or E2 so you can adapt other glass to it?

I have a K-01 and I really do love it, but I think that EVF would be nice. You're right that a retro design would be wonderful, but a simpler, less toy-like, more low key design would be fine. Maybe, if they decide to design one, the K-02 could be all that I ask for. 24mp sensor would be nice, especially if they have the anti moiré effect of the K-3. I think it may be interesting to see an interchangeable front mount. It could come in the native K mount, Q mount, and K mount + tele compressor (making your lenses equivalent to FF angle of view and adding a stop of speed). If you wanted to go on, you might ask for a weather sealed magnesium alloy body, tilting glare resistant lcd display, dual SD card slots...

Many of the video geeks loved the K-01 also, but it had its shortcomings. Though I would buy a K-02 that didn't shoot video all, if they were trying to really get video guys on board, there should be HDMI out while shooting, headphone jack, 1080p 60fps... Along with the other adapters can be one with a clickless aperture control like the ones they sell to adapt K mount to E mount.
The E1 and E2 don't have an OVF - no VF at all actually - just the back LCD. The pro has interchangeable lenses which I was trying to steer away from. I can use my DSLR if I need to adapt lenses. I just like the back-to-basics style of the x100s.