Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The NEX cameras take fantastic images. I own the Q and have used the K-01 and I think the NEX is the superior option. I own both a NEX 5N and a NEX 6. The 5N series is about the same size as the Q, with image quality rivaling the K-01(Same sensor). The NEX 6 is slightly larger than the 5N but the improved tracking focus bests my K-5. The newer NEX cameras have improved the interface slightly. There is less menu diving with the NEX6 and the NEX 5R and newer cameras.

You can view this at full size on my Flickr

10-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
wow. thanks for the nex plug, kenafein!

so i should be aiming for nex 5n or r? what abt nex 5? they all have focus peaking right? and what are your thoughts on their kit lenses?

the k-01 with 17-70 takes up 1/4 of the nappy bag. after wipes, nappies, plastic bags (for disposal), some toys and a change of clothes, I'm lucky if i have room for my wallet!
10-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
wow. thanks for the nex plug, kenafein!

so i should be aiming for nex 5n or r? what abt nex 5? they all have focus peaking right? and what are your thoughts on their kit lenses?

the k-01 with 17-70 takes up 1/4 of the nappy bag. after wipes, nappies, plastic bags (for disposal), some toys and a change of clothes, I'm lucky if i have room for my wallet!
The NEX 5R has been on clearance, but the price is up at the moment. What I don't like about the 5 series is they don't have a hotshoe. The NEX 6 has a hotshoe, built in flash and a viewfinder. It's a bit bigger than the 5 series though.

16-50 OSS - this is a pancake zoom, really tiny. The image quality is ok. It's not very good wider than 20mm, but it will work.
18-55 OSS - this is a larger kit lens. It's light and decent.
55-210 OSS - this lens is surprising. From the specs it doesn't look to be worth the price, but it produces great images and it's very light. This lens and my 5N combined are substantially lighter than the K-5 alone. I think they are trying to sell out stock of this lens, at $234, on eBay. I think they are reissuing it in black.

The best bang for the buck lenses are the Sigma primes. Sigma makes a 19, 30 and 60. The 19 and 30 are available in an older trim and can be found for less than $100 each, on ebay. These lenses maintain the small size of the camera and are quite excellent.

I don't know what your budget is, but look out for a 5R or a NEX 6. If you don't mind CDAF(tracking is not very good) or menu diving then pick up an older 5N or an F3. They are selling the C3 for $200, new.
10-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another option: simply get an 18-55 DA-L? You'll shave about 250 grams, I think, and some bulk, and it will cost very little. Next step up in price while keeping the K-01 body is probably to get a used wide prime (DA21 or DA15), but that will be a tad expensive (like at least $400 for a used copy). Another possibility would be a Sigma Superwide II 24mm F/2.8 in AF version (usually around the $250 mark, maybe a bit less if you are lucky). Not sure if it'd be wide enough for you. BTW, I am assuming you need AF as you talk about selfies...

One nice thing with the Q is that it's an interesting option (down the line) to go long. Get the K to Q adapter, put a 90mm, 105mm or 135mm K-mount lens on it, and you have a pretty good long zoom, for less money (and much less bulk) than getting an equivalent 400mm to 600mm K-mount lens. I'm thinking about that myself, but personally, I'd want the Q7 for it's larger sensor (despite the smaller crop factor), so I'll be waiting for prices to drop...

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-31-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
10-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
what's the c3 kenafein? is that different to a 5n or f3? so many terms!

hrmm.. so if i got the pancake 16-50 zoom how do you think that compares to the iq of the q? about the same? or still better than the q? a pancake zoom sounds like the way to go as i really wanted to keep this 'travel kit' small but don't want to be tied down to a prime.

having said that, i've seen e 16mm primes bundled with secondhand nex 5s. any thoughts on those?

i started looking at m43 cameras yesterday. there's some cheap olympus (olympii?) going but the impression i'm getting is that they aren't as popular or as decent as the nex? from everything i've been looking at, it really does seem like the q is pretty far down the ladder. any q lovers out there want to convince me otherwise?
10-31-2013, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Another option: simply get an 18-55 DA-L? You'll shave about 250 grams, I think, and some bulk, and it will cost very little. Next step up in price while keeping the K-01 body is probably to get a used wide prime (DA21 or DA15), but that will be a tad expensive (like at least $400 for a used copy). Another possibility would be a Sigma Superwide II 24mm F/2.8 in AF version (usually around the $250 mark, maybe a bit less if you are lucky). Not sure if it'd be wide enough for you. BTW, I am assuming you need AF as you talk about selfies...

One nice thing with the Q is that it's an interesting option (down the line) to go long. Get the K to Q adapter, put a 90mm, 105mm or 135mm K-mount lens on it, and you have a pretty good long zoom, for less money (and much less bulk) than getting an equivalent 400mm to 600mm K-mount lens. I'm thinking about that myself, but personally, I'd want the Q7 for it's larger sensor (despite the smaller crop factor), so I'll be waiting for prices to drop...
Hi Doundounba.

I have an 18-55 although who knows where it's hiding... It's not just weight that's the issue, it's size. I want something small and unobtrusive in the nappy bag. Not sure I want to go down the way of primes, as I'm thinking it would be good just to have an all rounder to lug around.

Yes, will need AF for this camera. I have lots of manuals which I love shooting with, but they are reserved for the dslrs and when i can afford to lug more around. For trips into town or to visit friends or relatives on the go (i.e. shots taken with the little one) AF is going to work a bit better for me.

Yup, I'm tempted with the Q simply so I can keep everything "in the family" so to speak. My longest lens is 400mm and it's the bazooka one. Not exactly travel-friendly. So the idea of using my k mounts on the Q is also very enticing.

I spent all day yesterday uhhming and ahhing about it. Am half tempted just to throw in the towel and take my point and shoot around.(again, IF I can find it... ) But I am getting spoilt with the k-01. Even my kx doesn't seem to compare these days, and my poor k100d is just sitting in the camera bag collecting dust
10-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

clackers - does the nex 3 have focus peaking? i read somewhere that it supposedly doesn't but that it will after you upgrade the firmware?
It does, Wolfie- my copy 'out of the box'.

I've got a Fotodiox converter for it so that in theory I can use some of my K-mount glass.

If size and quality is important to you, can I suggest the Sony RX100?

100mm is as long as it will go, though. The Pentax Q beats that with interchangeable lenses.
10-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

what's the c3 kenafein? is that different to a 5n or f3? so many terms!

hrmm.. so if i got the pancake 16-50 zoom how do you think that compares to the iq of the q? about the same? or still better than the q? a pancake zoom sounds like the way to go as i really wanted to keep this 'travel kit' small but don't want to be tied down to a prime.

having said that, i've seen e 16mm primes bundled with secondhand nex 5s. any thoughts on those?

i started looking at m43 cameras yesterday. there's some cheap olympus (olympii?) going but the impression i'm getting is that they aren't as popular or as decent as the nex? from everything i've been looking at, it really does seem like the q is pretty far down the ladder. any q lovers out there want to convince me otherwise?
Sony made way too many bodies. They have a 3 series, a 5 series, a 6 series and a 7 series for APS-C. They also have the new ILCE-3000. Way too many bodies that pretty much do the same thing. What is your budget? For the body and lenses? With the NEX you do have an option of buying a lensturbo adapter that will give you a near FF angle of view and improve the light gathering capabilities, with minor issues, that you can use on legacy Pentax glass. .

I like the Q. I don't want to disparage it. It's my wife's camera of choice, and it's well built. It works out great for websizes, and it's fun to use it as a super telephoto. The lenses use a leaf shutter and some have built in ND filters. The IQ simply cannot match a larger sensor, however. The 16-50 will give you much better images than the Q's.

m4/3 is a great system. It is not a budget system. Good lenses cost money, but it's a great option.

I agree with CLackers, however, get an RX100 for portability and don't look back. It will keep your budget down and provide excellent image quality. It's the only option that fits neatly in your pocket.

10-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It does, Wolfie- my copy 'out of the box'.

I've got a Fotodiox converter for it so that in theory I can use some of my K-mount glass.

If size and quality is important to you, can I suggest the Sony RX100?

100mm is as long as it will go, though. The Pentax Q beats that with interchangeable lenses.
Ok that's good to know. Maybe I'll take another look at the NEX3 then. Need to double check on specs though - iq wise, does NEX 5 really blow NEX 3 out of the water?

Am starting to think more and more NEX might be the smarter option. But I will go and take a look at the Sony RX100 as you suggested, clackers. there's still time yet before I commit, assuming the Deal of The Century doesn't just roll up.
10-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
*jaw drops*

$700 brand new. for a pocket camera?! that's around the same price i paid for my k100d 10 years ago. nah-uh!
10-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Sony made way too many bodies. They have a 3 series, a 5 series, a 6 series and a 7 series for APS-C. They also have the new ILCE-3000. Way too many bodies that pretty much do the same thing. What is your budget? For the body and lenses? With the NEX you do have an option of buying a lensturbo adapter that will give you a near FF angle of view and improve the light gathering capabilities, with minor issues, that you can use on legacy Pentax glass. .

I like the Q. I don't want to disparage it. It's my wife's camera of choice, and it's well built. It works out great for websizes, and it's fun to use it as a super telephoto. The lenses use a leaf shutter and some have built in ND filters. The IQ simply cannot match a larger sensor, however. The 16-50 will give you much better images than the Q's.

m4/3 is a great system. It is not a budget system. Good lenses cost money, but it's a great option.

I agree with CLackers, however, get an RX100 for portability and don't look back. It will keep your budget down and provide excellent image quality. It's the only option that fits neatly in your pocket.
Ok I must be missing something. The RX100 I saw was nothing within my budget.

My budget is pretty much around the $300 mark including lenses. I've toyed with the idea of $500 but my bank account is just about empty unless I can sell lots of lenses ASAP.

I just came across a NEX3 for just under $200 and am thinking of pulling the trigger. I do like the idea of a super telephoto with the Q but not sure.... If IQ is ordinary, I can just as easily use a teleconverter right? *looks at bag of unused teleconverters in camera drawer*

Also waiting to hear back about a $300 NEX 5 with lenses. Obvs the NEX 5 is a better deal but it depends on whether or not it's available still.

Good to know that the NEX kit lens will do better than the Q. Yet another point in its favour.

Noted about the m4/3. Part of the incentive for me re the NEX was that I can get pentax adapters for under $10. Which means in theory I can still use all my Pentax gear.

4 cams... my goodness what is the world coming to? I shudder to think about what wolfieboy will say if he ever spots it... He's watching me sell all my other gear and the look of incomprehension on his face is just.....
10-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Ok I must be missing something. The RX100 I saw was nothing within my budget.

My budget is pretty much around the $300 mark including lenses. I've toyed with the idea of $500 but my bank account is just about empty unless I can sell lots of lenses ASAP.

I just came across a NEX3 for just under $200 and am thinking of pulling the trigger. I do like the idea of a super telephoto with the Q but not sure.... If IQ is ordinary, I can just as easily use a teleconverter right? *looks at bag of unused teleconverters in camera drawer*

Also waiting to hear back about a $300 NEX 5 with lenses. Obvs the NEX 5 is a better deal but it depends on whether or not it's available still.

Good to know that the NEX kit lens will do better than the Q. Yet another point in its favour.

Noted about the m4/3. Part of the incentive for me re the NEX was that I can get pentax adapters for under $10. Which means in theory I can still use all my Pentax gear.

4 cams... my goodness what is the world coming to? I shudder to think about what wolfieboy will say if he ever spots it... He's watching me sell all my other gear and the look of incomprehension on his face is just.....
If you want the best IQ, make sure to buy a NEX with the 16mp sensor. The earlier cameras are not as good. I'd sell you my 5N, but shipping is so high. Sounds like the NEX is the right camera for you if you want to use MF lenses.
10-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK. The NEX3 I saw for under $200 only has 14.1 megapixels. So it would effectively sit between my k-01 and kx.

I have however just a found refurbished NEX F3KB which has 16.1 megapixels. That's going for $300 with a lens.

I'm betting you weren't going to let your NEX5 go for around $300 with lenses though, right, kenafein?
10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

OK. The NEX3 I saw for under $200 only has 14.1 megapixels. So it would effectively sit between my k-01 and kx.

I have however just a found refurbished NEX F3KB which has 16.1 megapixels. That's going for $300 with a lens.

I'm betting you weren't going to let your NEX5 go for around $300 with lenses though, right, kenafein?
I would, with lens, but shipping to australia kills the deal. The F3 is a great camera, but it's a little bigger than the 5 series, not too big though. It has all the features of the 5N except for the touch screen, and it has a built in flash.
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

*jaw drops*

$700 brand new. for a pocket camera?
The price of the upcoming travel variant with a 200mm lens will be even more frightening.

But that's the combination of tiny size and great quality.