Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Good to know that you've tried them all, yakky. I guess I just have it in my head if I'm going to get another camera it may as well be an upgrade in megapixel..

although you do have a point, and really 10MP should be enough for my purposes. will take a look at the nikon j1
I hear you. That's why I was totally turned off by the Nikon One (CX) system. I thought, what a bunch of idiots, a small sensor and low on the MP count. But as I'm sure you know, 24mp is worthless if its blurry. What it does have is a huge buffer and phase detection AF. Once those kids start walking, you have 30-90 days before they are running full speed!

11-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yakky Quote
once those kids start walking, you have 30-90 days before they are running full speed!

she crawls pretty fast as it is now. i shudder to think what it will be like when she walks. thank goodness she's spending time learning how to stand, so she spends most of her time in one place atm. i know, i know. famous last words.

i had a look. interesting, the camera is at the same price point. although i'm thinking if i'm going to compromise on megapixels, i may as well just go for the basic nex3. i've seen a few online atm which are going for a song. but i was hesitating mainly because of the nex5n and additional megapixels.

hrmm.. decisions, decisions...
11-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just saw a Q for the first time today and it really is a cute little camera. You should buy it! lol!
11-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I just saw a Q for the first time today and it really is a cute little camera. You should buy it! lol!

Nooooo......!!!

I'm still on the lookout but CBA has subsided a little, thankfully. Am still thinking about it, but luckily the urge isn't as strong as before. Thank goodness for these forums...

11-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #50
Site Supporter

I'm not sure whether my post will help quell or will stimulate your camera-buying urges. And trust me, I know that feeling, since I was only recently bitten by the camera bug and have since acquired (by gift or purchase) a NEX-5R, NEX 6, Pentax K-3 and a Fuji Finepix F900EXR.

I can offer some feedback on the NEX system and a bit about the Fuji P&S. I love both my NEXs - image quality is great, good performance at higher ISOs, and the light weight/portability factor is wonderful. The sensor seems to be of high quality and each camera is 16MP. Each has a few pros and cons for you to consider. The 5R has a touch screen and one of the best things about it is an ability to change your focus point by tapping the screen. I do a lot of pet and captive wildlife photography (my cats, other peoples' pets, shelter animals, birds at the rehab center where I work) and it's great to be able to crouch down on the floor, tilt the screen up 90 or so degrees (so it's level with the floor) and touch the screen to move the focus point when there's a little critter moving around on the floor. I imagine it would work just as well with kids. But (and this is a big BUT), there is no viewfinder, so the camera is hard to use in bright daylight. The 6, on the other hand, has a viewfinder but no touchscreen. It's also a bit heavier and larger. Neither camera will fit in a pocket but they are light and so if you can figure out a bag that has a small space for a camera, it would work - and slinging the camera around your neck or over your shoulder shouldn't feel like much added weight. There is one other downside to both NEX cameras (and this is one of the main reasons I decided to get a Pentax K-3): the limited lens range and a number of the lenses they have are quite expensive and some of them are really bulky/heavy relative to the camera body. (For example, they just came out with a 17-70 F4, which is supposed to be very high quality - but it's $1000. Likewise, the 18-200 zoom is about the same price and it's a monster-sizewise.) There are a few nice primes (I particularly like the 50mm 1.8, which is reasonably priced and works well for portraits), but there is nothing (yet) like a fast 70mm or 85mm lens.

I must admit that I haven't fully explored the potential of the Fuji 900EXR, although its specs are quite good. I chose it (over certain other cameras) because it can be operated in manual mode, you can shoot RAW or JPEGs, and it has a long zoom range. It also turns on quickly, focuses quickly and shoots continuously pretty quickly. However, it's only OK in low light (max aperture of 3.5). (Since my NEX is good in fairly low light for images that suit my 50 mm lens, I thought it was more useful to have a camera with a good zoom range.) I think the 900EXR or its slightly older cousin might be in the price range you're considering if you want to go the P&S route with the flexibility offered by shooting in RAW.
11-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi frogoutofwater. Thanks for your comments. I am still very undecided and I think it would help if I could have one in hand to see how it felt. I'd be fine I think with the 2 kit lenses that come with the nex and then grab adapters to use with my lenses. But I worry abt the <acronym title="Lens Buying Addiction">LBA</acronym> that will come with it...

Interesting comments abt the shooting style too. I'm keen to try out the flip screen. Don't mind either way with the evf vs ovf. In the meantime am going to try and stay strong... I hadn't considered other cams so might explore your fuji suggestion also
11-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I'm also considering a Q10 (cheap) as a small go everywhere camera but I don't think it works for me. I have also considered the new Nikon AW1 but that get way too expensive since I want the 10mm and 18.5mm lenses. It would be great with those 2 primes though. The current favorite is the Ricoh GR and it should crush the Q/Nikon1 potential purchases. The NEX is nice but it gets big when lenses are added and I would still have to buy a couple of primes to have the camera that I want. The GR is a fixed prime lens but I can do a lot with 18 mm on APSC. It's 800USD so it's more expensive (than the Q10) but you CAN'T buy any more lenses. Now I just need to justify spending that much money.

Here's a size comparison where the body of the camera is bigger than the Q but overall it's much smaller with the kit lens. RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Ricoh GR Size Compared to Other Cameras
11-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, abacus. Will go take a look.

I saw another Q for sale today for the same price that I passed last time. Sitting here trying to stop myself from pulling the trigger.

I think the size of the NEX is the only thing that is making me hesitate atm. I really do need to go instore and see if I can find one. My last foray into Sydney had none. Then again I didn't really look all that hard..............

11-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #54
Site Supporter

I went for a Samsung NX1000 on runout and paired it with one of their 30mm F2 lenses to be a compact fast walkabout option when I don't want to carry a DSLR. Just got the 30mm last week as the was an ordering mix up but first impressions of it are good. I did have a Olympus Epl-1 for this purpose but couldn't warm to it. I had considered a Ricoh GR but the 18mm lens turned me off as being a bit too wide. I'll post some images on my blog sometime this coming week.

Early observations: colours are quite natural, awb does a pretty reasonable job (better than my K-x?), lots of megapixels to play with, a little noise at low ISO but really a non-issue upon resizing to practical everyday resolutions, 30mm lens is sharp, compact and lightweight combo, easy to learn menu and controls. LR has a profile for the 30mm but not the 20-50 which probably is in more needs of a profile. So far, happy.

The std 20-50 zoom is surprisingly good but is not intended to be main lens I use.

I intend to get as small a bag as I can so I can carry it about on my belt. And I'll probably get a cheap K lens adapter for it.

Lack of any stabilisation has caught me out a bit - too used to my Pentax K-x. No in body stabilisation and only available in selected lenses. So I see the F2 of the 30mm as needed to help out here. But don't forget that stabilisation is of no use for moving target, eg kids. I will need to keep to 1/40th+ rather than creeping down to say 1/10th or 1/15th on the K-x.

Last edited by southlander; 11-17-2013 at 07:31 AM.
11-22-2013, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
so.......................

i pulled the trigger.

came across a q with 2 lenses with a price i couldn't say no to. waiting for it to arrive....

so much for my nex dreams. i kept on holding out hoping for 16megapixel nex with 2 lenses for the 'right' price but i think i need to wait a little while longer before that happens. and the q came across my path first...

just looking at all the fun things i can get to keep it company and am surprised to find a yashica to q adapter (!). i thought only NEX had those. yet another reason why i was veering towards the nex rather than the q.

i will admit it's more pricey than the nex adapters, but hey if it means i get to try out lenses i would otherwise have given up on that i already own....

have also realised the crop factor may be a boon since my birding has kicked in again, and i *really* can't afford the bigma. i looked into it properly the other day, and ...

thanks for all your advice guys. it helped me stay strong (until it didn't... ) when it mattered. and it was good to have a discussion to figure out what i need the body for.
11-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax Q - and now the Q10 shows up on Woot occasionally for a very good price. I've been pleasantly surprised at its image quality.
11-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is it bad that i haven't even looked at pics taken by the q?

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The Pentax Q - and now the Q10 shows up on Woot occasionally for a very good price. I've been pleasantly surprised at its image quality.
11-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My wife & I both have the original Qs & we love 'em. The wife likes hers so well, she's selling her DSLR gear. For all the carping about sensor size & image quality, I think they do very well. It's a blast to shoot with and it's more versatile than a P&S. It's the perfect vacation camera, IMO. I use it more than my DSLR.

Is it bad that i haven't even looked at pics taken by the q?
Here ya go: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/pentax-q-preview-samples

And some I've taken with it:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1040878_568833609826220_1027218208_o.jpg

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/382507_568832746492973_1319436938_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1064597_568896836486564_351059890_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/965608_568896959819885_96747754_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/904268_539355726107342_1511003427_o.jpg

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/61530_539355706107344_392956547_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1040013_568833003159614_1396038358_o.jpg

Also, go look up some of the incredible macro shots member pinholecam has taken with the Q. They'll blow your mind.

Not to mention the awesome tele possibilities with an adapted lens. The cheap and tiny Pentax M-135/3.5 becomes the equivalent of a 750 mm beast on the Q.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 11-22-2013 at 04:36 PM.
11-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
Veteran Member

so.......................

i pulled the trigger.

came across a q with 2 lenses with a price i couldn't say no to. waiting for it to arrive....

so much for my nex dreams. i kept on holding out hoping for 16megapixel nex with 2 lenses for the 'right' price but i think i need to wait a little while longer before that happens. and the q came across my path first...

just looking at all the fun things i can get to keep it company and am surprised to find a yashica to q adapter (!). i thought only NEX had those. yet another reason why i was veering towards the nex rather than the q.

i will admit it's more pricey than the nex adapters, but hey if it means i get to try out lenses i would otherwise have given up on that i already own....

have also realised the crop factor may be a boon since my birding has kicked in again, and i *really* can't afford the bigma. i looked into it properly the other day, and ...

thanks for all your advice guys. it helped me stay strong (until it didn't... ) when it mattered. and it was good to have a discussion to figure out what i need the body for.
Congrats! Good choice.
11-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, gbeaton!

My little Q arrived today, complete with 01 and 02 lens. And looks like in practically new condition. Not to mention the seller telling me it still has about 4 months warranty left (!)

My initial thoughts were "I've never seen lenses that small!!" and, that the camera seemed so small and light. You gotta edge your fingers to use the buttons. The Q fit pretty much my entire hand.

Buyers remorse kicked in pretty quick though. I went out on my walk this evening with k-01 and Q in tow and felt very... overloaded with cameras.

I walked around thinking, oh no, did I really let CBA take over??

Having said that, the Q quickly started to prove me wrong and showed its value to me.

At around 20cm from the subject it can produce images like this (!)

And the 01 is wide enough that I can finally grab shots of the wolfiepup with her wolfies without me having to back up/move. Yesss....

The small footprint also means that the chances of me taking it out and about are a lot more improved. Although with the lens case it sure is bulky. Like some have said, definately not pocketable.

Still, it will take a lot less room in the nappy bag, and in fact is a feasible option to live in my handbag (should I ever reach the day when I use a handbag again...)

I must say though, that the focusing distance was not something I had considered when looking for camera options. So this has been a pleasant surprise.

Oh, and GibbyTheMole - nice pics you got there! Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Have been spending all my spare time trawling the Q threads to find out what accessories I need to keep my Q company.

Currently I have a k-q adapter enroute and am waiting for confirmation regarding some spare batteries. They really do get chewed up fast!

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 11-26-2013 at 02:43 AM.