Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q, NEX, or other?? Help me curb my CBA.

So my little 10 month old has started to sleep a bit more. Which means mama now has time to think. bad idea.

I got it into my head the other day that I would like a Q. Nice and compact. Easy to take around. Small enough that I can get lots of wide angle shots of wolfiepup and myself without depending on wolfieboy to take decent shots. Selfies, here we come...

At the moment I already own a k-01, which attached to a 17-70 does the job. But putting that in the nappy bag along with everything else makes for a sore shoulder and not much room for anything else.

Cue in the 'maybe I should get.....'

My budget is probably closer to $300 than $500 and I'm looking to buy secondhand.

I've got a few irons in the fire but I can always pull out before I pay right?

A little research tells me that the Q is nice and small and relatively cheap. (the $300 end of the budget with a lens or two thrown in). It's fun and will inspire me to be creative (a must when I'm so tired from wolfiepup that it's enough if I can get around to documenting her cuteness, let alone do anything else). It's also in the same system as everything else I own (k-01, kx and k100d).

But then I got sidetracked....

NEX 5 can be had for similar money (some are selling in the $350 range with a kit lens. meh) and has focus peaking. But they have lots of cheap adapters.... $8 gets me a yashica and nex adapter. I have an accidental kiron yashica lens purchase that's collecting dust. And the m42 adapter is only another $8 (!). It looks like the camera is still relatively small - so again I can just slip it in the nappy bag.I've also seen some cameras with a fisheye or wide angle in the right price range. I've always wanted to try fisheye and go further than 17mm. But I'm never going to spend the $200 plus for one in Pentax mount. But if it comes bundled with a camera for around $300-$400, then I'm willing to give it a go. Weird psychology, no? Since if you broke it down, I'd still be paying about $200 for it.... anyway...

So help me out.

1. Talk me out of buying any of it and convince me that my k-01 with my 17-70 really does do the job.

OR

2. Tell me that the Q is a fun little thing to be had for $300 odd and will suit my needs just fine.

OR

3. Convince me that the NEX 5 is the bees knees, will still let me use all my Pentax gear and is actually a smarter buy than the Q.

Please DO NOT tell me to buy both the Q AND the NEX 5 (or possibly a NEX 3) as they are like comparing apples to oranges and I will want both.

HELP!!!!!!

10-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my Q 'til about iso1600, when the K-01 takes over and runs rings around it. The brick and any small lens can do wonders. For $300 the Q is a great camera and will suit any needs in broad daylight. Personally I'll be waiting for the Lumix GM1 to drop to about half its opening price, which in the m4/3 world should take no more than eight months..
10-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, jimr

lumix gm1 eh? i haven't started looking into the m4/3s.
10-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

If you thinking the Q, why not consider the MX1, faster zoom lens, more compact overall, tilt screen, better IQ... Woot was clearing them out for like $299.

10-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
but the mx1 is non interchangeable lenses. for the same price i can get 2 lenses and a camera.........

the mx1 is just a point and shoot right? i already own small point and shoots. not that i ever use them. =/
10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
but the mx1 is non interchangeable lenses. for the same price i can get 2 lenses and a camera.........

the mx1 is just a point and shoot right? i already own small point and shoots. not that i ever use them. =/
But the sensor is better than that in the Q, and the MX-1 with its fast fixed lens will give you noticeably better IQ (similar range but faster) than the Q with the two lenses thrown in. So I'm not exactly sure why you would consider the Q and not the MX-1, unless you are planning on buying more lenses for the Q which would mean you will blow your original budget. Didn't realise you are in Aust, you'll only find the MX-1 for $250-$299 new in the US, so kinda a mute point now.
10-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i didn't know that abt the mx-1 vs the q. i guess the fixed lens is what throws me off though. i like the flexibility of going from fish eye to telephoto and the idea of using my other lenses on the same body.

10-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

The Q7 is the latest model in the series, which has the same sensor as the Mx-1. The original Q has an even smaller sensor, pretty much the same size as you'll find in P&S. But the Q7 has only been just released and retails for like $579 paired with the slow kit lens, which is out of your budget. I'm not pushing the MX-1, just throwing it out there given you were considering the Q and had a tight budget. But like I said, the MX-1 retails for like $400, so it's not exactly within your budget either.
10-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*nods* thanks for the info though, Mike.

I haven't really been paying attention to all the new releases.Sometimes I think it's a matter of being happy with what you have.

Definitely something to consider though that the Q's sensor is so small. Hadn't really thought about it, TBH
10-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #10

That's cool, no worries, just thought I'd share my thoughts as I have owned both the Q + K01 in the past.
The Q definitely punches above its "small sensor" weight and is pretty fun but just don't expect K01 IQ just because it's "interchangeable".
10-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
but just don't expect K01 IQ just because it's "interchangeable".
*nods* good advice, thank you

anyone owned a NEX and can give me any opinions?
10-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a NEX3 as my 'point and shoot'. Probably not much bigger than the Q if I stick to the 16-50 and 20mm pancake lenses. No advantage in size really over a DSLR once I put the 55-200mm on. Almost entirely menu driven, unlike the real controls on the Q, but it is APS-C, not 1/1.7".
10-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*nods*

i like the idea of being able to try other lenses (that LBA is raising its ugly head again... *gulp*), but if I'm being honest with myself, I'm trying to reduce my hoard, not increase it. hard to believe i know when i'm thinking of more cams....

menu driven eh? that sounds a bit annoying....
10-31-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
clackers - does the nex 3 have focus peaking? i read somewhere that it supposedly doesn't but that it will after you upgrade the firmware?
10-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Whenever I search again for a camera to always have with me, I end up back to at my cellphone. Being a guy, a camera to always have with me means being able to carry it in my jeans pocket. I looked at the Q and it certainly isn't pocketable. (Well the Q itself is, but not with any lens attached. LOL!) And compact cameras the size of my cellphone don't really outperform my cellphone, so...

And as soon as you have to carry it in a bag anyway all bets are off again. What's wrong with carrying an excellent K-01 combo in the diaper bag? I don't think you'll even notice the weight difference of the bag if it's carrying a NEX, Q or K-01.