Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
*sigh*

i need to step away from the computer methinks.

i just realised that the nex 5s are only 14 megapixels, not 16. i just assumed with the bigger number (nex 5 vs nex 3) the megapixels would be bigger.

*shakes head*

it looks like the refurbished nex f3 is the only one that's 16 megapixel.

maybe i should just dig around and see if i can find that p&s. it all seems like a lot of work just for an excuse to use my mis-bought kiron yashica....... among other reasons...

11-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #32

Just comparing these three cameras: K-01 that you already have, NEX-5, and Q
The K-01 is actually quite similar to the NEX-5 imo, yes the NEX-5 is smaller but not by much unless you take into consideration the lens size which I think the Pentax 18-55 is a lot bigger than an E mount 16-50. But still both are not pocket-able.

If all you want is to adapt more manual focus lenses that couldn've provide infinity on the Pentax and you don't care much about size then the NEX is your choice.

But if size is big for you which I believe so cause you have mentioned on your post, then the Q is not a bad choice at all. It's not that pocketable even with the 01 prime but I manage to fit it in a tiny camera pouch with a belt loop on it so I can install it beside my waist and make it more convenient to take out.

Other alternatives include Sony RX100 and the Panasonic GM1. RX100 is not an interchangeable lens camera, GM1 is so small but depends on whether you want to invest on a new camera system. Q smallest interchangeable lens camera but also has smallest sensor among all three. But if you want compact light weight and want more creativity the Q and GM1 are both excellent to go for. Q has cheaper lenses I love the 01 prime and the 06 telephoto constant F2.8, and has SR! The Panasonic lenses are more expensive.

Last edited by cleffa; 11-01-2013 at 03:19 AM.
11-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi cleffa,

Thank you for reminding me what I'm after and putting it all into perspective for me.

Interesting that you say the NEX wouldn't really be pocketable. I have just cancelled my Q sale - should've waited till I read your post! lol. They're going to think I'm flighty if I go back and go 'wait! i changed my mind! again!'

The sony rx100 - from what i read was only one lens, not interchangeable? and cost a whopping $700 new? or am i missing something?

Will have to think about this some more. I guess the good thing is that prices should only go down the longer I wait/the more I think about it right? Technology being the way it is....

Perhaps what I have to do is dig up my p&s and see if that will do the job since it's definitely pocketable. And then decide from there whether or not I need to get a new cam after all. I love that NEX will allow me to use lenses Pentax won't let me, but that was just a bonus, and not my original reason for looking.
11-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #34

Hmm depends on how big your pocket is. As Clavius said, he considers even the Pentax Q not pocketable and that's true because it won't fit into his pants/trousers' pockets. The NEX is bigger than the Pentax Q so it's not pocketable as well into your shirt/trousers' pockets. I used a pouch to carry my Q with my waist belt so i don't need to carry a camera bag. But I doubt even with the small 16-50 kit lens with the smallest NEX (NEX-3N) it will fit into my pouch. And I doubt that if you are using the NEX for it's high compatibility with old mf lenses you'll use the 16-50 kit most of the time. You'll most likely use those 35mm lenses with adapters which require a camera bag to put everything in. Well unless you use C or D mount lenses then that's smaller, but still not as small as the 16-50 or 16/2.8.

Another way of thinking, is whether you would consider just carrying your camera around on your neck without a bag at all. Then the NEX is lighter than your K-01 for sure, just not sure if it'll get in your way often.

The RX100 for $700? Are you looking at the Mark II version? If not then wow that's out of the picture then. But just want to clarify, are you looking for a camera that fits these two features: (1) pocketable (2) interchangeable lens? Cause if so then the Pentax Q is the closest you can get. If not, there are many other choices.

You can also search on the internet for size comparison shots between the NEX and Q as well as other combinations. I can take a snap of my NEX-5n and Q when I get home, if you want just give me a shout, I think other members can help you as well on this.

11-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote

i just realised that the nex 5s are only 14 megapixels, not 16. i just assumed with the bigger number (nex 5 vs nex 3) the megapixels would be bigger.

*shakes head*
NEX 5 has 16 Mp, just like the NEX 3.

Pentax K-50 and K5-II both have 16, as well, so it's not just about the sensor.
11-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
NEX 5 has 16 Mp, just like the NEX 3.

Pentax K-50 and K5-II both have 16, as well, so it's not just about the sensor.
NEX-3 and NEX-5 both have 14 MP APSC sensors while the NEX-C3, F3, 3N, 5N, 5R, 5T all have 16 MP APSC senosrs:
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

With the release of so many versions on both the 3 series and 5 series with similar specs, I doubt that their price will have much difference between say an NEX-3 and an NEX-C3 so why not get a C3 or even 5N. All these models dropped in price after the release of 5R 3N and 5T.
11-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

What about one of these? I'm just throwing it out there but since you're concerned about portability rather than actually getting a new, more capable camera.

Cotton Carrier Carry-lite
Cotton Carry-Lite for 1 Camera

Blackrapids RS-7
BlackRapid Curve (RS-7) Strap

I was in the same situation as you and couldn't figure out how to carry the nappy bag and still have a camera (before I have my kid I shoot strapless). Cotton Carrier solved it for me. In summer I clip the holster to my belt, and in winter I use the whole Carry-lite shebang. Your hands are both free, you can change diapers (and save space in the nappy bag).

k-x and DA 40 was the biggest I could had before the carrier, and now I can carry D600 with a 50-85mm prime, and still feel comfy.

In winter when I dont want to be bothered by the carrylite I grab my K10D which has the blackrapids full time. I find them very comfortable as well, but it's a different experience (all in all I prefer the cotton carrier).

Right now you can buy the refurb the holster and the strap separately and save $70 off the Carry-lite. You lose out on the tripod mount and handstrap, but you can buy those later if you need.
http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-waist-belt-p/fs844cbo.htm
http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-side-holster-p/ref503grn.htm

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-01-2013 at 08:38 AM.
11-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I own both the Q and the K-01, and I must say that I enjoy shooting the K-01 much more. It feels better, it's a million times more responsive, and it's genius in low light. However, the Q is the camera that's usually with me, because it's so small. If I was a woman with a purse, it wouldn't matter, I'd always have the K-01 with me, but the Q fits in a jacket pocket or in a very small camera bag, and it's cheap and doesn't scream "expensive camera gear" to everyone.

But.... I still have way, way more fun shooting with the K-01.

Except... except perhaps for the Q fisheye lens. I love that lens...

Charles.
11-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cleffa Quote
NEX-3 and NEX-5 both have 14 MP APSC sensors while the NEX-C3, F3, 3N, 5N, 5R, 5T all have 16 MP APSC senosrs:.
Cleffa, the 3N (which I have), the 5R and 5T are the current models.

I don't even know if you can buy the older ones you mentioned - never seen them in a shop here. :-)
11-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cleffa Quote
...But I doubt even with the small 16-50 kit lens with the smallest NEX (NEX-3N) it will fit into my pouch. And I doubt that if you are using the NEX for it's high compatibility with old mf lenses you'll use the 16-50 kit most of the time. You'll most likely use those 35mm lenses with adapters which require a camera bag to put everything in. Well unless you use C or D mount lenses then that's smaller, but still not as small as the 16-50 or 16/2.8. Another way of thinking, is whether you would consider just carrying your camera around on your neck without a bag at all. Then the NEX is lighter than your K-01 for sure, just not sure if it'll get in your way often. The RX100 for $700? Are you looking at the Mark II version? If not then wow that's out of the picture then. But just want to clarify, are you looking for a camera that fits these two features: (1) pocketable (2) interchangeable lens? Cause if so then the Pentax Q is the closest you can get. If not, there are many other choices. You can also search on the internet for size comparison shots between the NEX and Q as well as other combinations. I can take a snap of my NEX-5n and Q when I get home, if you want just give me a shout, I think other members can help you as well on this.

Hi Cleffa, This is where I looked re the RX100. I didn't look anywhere else, since it was the sony australia site. DSC-RX100 : RX Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony Australia So, $700 *excluding* delivery costs. Not even $700. Closer to 8...

I'd be interested to see a side by shot comparison of the NEX-5n and the Q if you have a chance. Seeing the measurements in numbers with the weight just isn't the same as seeing it in a picture.

Often I will go and visit family and friends or go out somewhere without the intention of taking a photo. However if I bring my camera with me in the bag (as opposed to hanging around my neck) 1. I don't scare everyone, and 2. I know it's there if I ever need it.

Another thing I've just realised is that it's taken a long time for me to finally get around to finding the right lens at the right price for me. I really like the 17-70mm range. It's wonderful for every day shots, people portraits, up close baby shots and big landscape vistas. Unfortunately it ends up being bulky on my k-01. I assume that if I have a smaller camera body, I will have more distance between the subject and the sensor and thereby make up for the 20mm focal length, but I don't know for certain.

In theory I'm thinking the Q would work because the lenses are so small that it wouldn't take up too much room to just put those in the nappy bag. And I'd assume the 18-55 would also do the job, but I don't really know. I do know that I hardly ever go to my 18-55 Pentax kit lens coz I hated my range ending at 55. But on a smaller lens/body perhaps my feelings would change? No idea. Would welcome thoughts from you or anyone who has used all three lenses.

Re your other comment about picking up a C3 or 5N, yes, given the choice I'd prefer to go those rather than the NEX3 or NEX5, but it's more a matter of what's available in the market. Currently all that's available are the 3s and 5s, although there is one C3 that I'm eyeing and I've been offered a 5n that I'm seriously thinking about. Luckily I'm in no hurry, the CBA bug just bit me early, so in spite of me cancelling my Q deal, I'm hoping that patience and more time thinking about this properly will help me find the right camera at the right price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
What about one of these? I'm just throwing it out there but since you're concerned about portability rather than actually getting a new, more capable camera. Cotton Carrier Carry-lite Cotton Carry-Lite for 1 Camera Blackrapids RS-7 BlackRapid Curve (RS-7) Strap I was in the same situation as you and couldn't figure out how to carry the nappy bag and still have a camera (before I have my kid I shoot strapless). Cotton Carrier solved it for me. In summer I clip the holster to my belt, and in winter I use the whole Carry-lite shebang. Your hands are both free, you can change diapers (and save space in the nappy bag). k-x and DA 40 was the biggest I could had before the carrier, and now I can carry D600 with a 50-85mm prime, and still feel comfy. In winter when I dont want to be bothered by the carrylite I grab my K10D which has the blackrapids full time. I find them very comfortable as well, but it's a different experience (all in all I prefer the cotton carrier). Right now you can buy the refurb the holster and the strap separately and save $70 off the Carry-lite. You lose out on the tripod mount and handstrap, but you can buy those later if you need. http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-...p/fs844cbo.htm http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-.../ref503grn.htm
Hi Andi, Thanks for your suggestions. I had a look at the holsters. They're pretty expensive for what is effectively a fancy belt! I don't wear a belt often and the other trick is half the time I've got the baby bjorn on. (Baby carriers developed together with Medical Experts ? BabyBjorn). Although the more i think about it, perhaps the strap wouldn't get in the way that much, unless I was actually shooting. Hrmm.. something to think about.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I own both the Q and the K-01, and I must say that I enjoy shooting the K-01 much more. It feels better, it's a million times more responsive, and it's genius in low light. However, the Q is the camera that's usually with me, because it's so small. If I was a woman with a purse, it wouldn't matter, I'd always have the K-01 with me, but the Q fits in a jacket pocket or in a very small camera bag, and it's cheap and doesn't scream "expensive camera gear" to everyone. But.... I still have way, way more fun shooting with the K-01. Except... except perhaps for the Q fisheye lens. I love that lens... Charles.
Hi ChopperCharles,
Yes, the Q fisheye was another reason I was thinking about the Q. I'm never going to be able to afford a normal fisheye, but if it comes with a Q, for around the same price as one Pentax fisheye, then it becomes a really affordable option for me to try it out. I really enjoy the k-01. I miss the ergnomics of my k100d and kx as well as the evf, but I started out photography on a p&s with a lcd viewfinder, so really it's no biggie for me to go back to that on the k-01.

See, the trick is what you say about the Q that it's "always with me." That's what I want. Having said that, I realised last night that if I took out my little nikon P&S, it wouldn't be a Pentax. And I love being able to share all my photos here. With my P&S or a NEX attached with either the kit lens or my kiron, I wouldn't really be sharing 'legitimate' pictures here. where would i go? sad, huh?
11-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Hi Andi, Thanks for your suggestions. I had a look at the holsters. They're pretty expensive for what is effectively a fancy belt! I don't wear a belt often and the other trick is half the time I've got the baby bjorn on. (Baby carriers developed together with Medical Experts ? BabyBjorn). Although the more i think about it, perhaps the strap wouldn't get in the way that much, unless I was actually shooting. Hrmm.. something to think about.
I had one of those too! They're awesome When I had the Baby Bjorn I unfortunately didn't have my holsters / blackrapids, but I think you use the frontal baby bjorn the straps / holsters won't be an option. However with the rear one they will be totally ok.

These guys are indeed rather expensive, probably good to wait until a used blackrapids pops up in ebay Cotton carrier almost never shows up used on ebay.
11-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I had one of those too! They're awesome When I had the Baby Bjorn I unfortunately didn't have my holsters / blackrapids, but I think you use the frontal baby bjorn the straps / holsters won't be an option. However with the rear one they will be totally ok.

These guys are indeed rather expensive, probably good to wait until a used blackrapids pops up in ebay Cotton carrier almost never shows up used on ebay.
i'll take a look on ebay and think about it. i use the baby bjorn in front.
11-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

i'll take a look on ebay and think about it. i use the baby bjorn in front.
Just to clarify, maybe I didnt word it properly. If the baby bjorn is in front I dont think any of the holster I know will work. There might be options out there though!
11-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #44

In certain situations my K30 can keep up with kids, but not nearly as well as my D7000. I wanted something smaller so for a while I tried the whole M43 thing. An EPL-1, GX-1, GF-3 and G5. The G5 is okay at times, the others were crap. And panasonic colors might be nice for lanscapes, but boy do they stink for people and fixing them meant spending way to long in LR. On a whim I grabbed a Nikon J1, its amazingly fast focusing. No problems keeping up with kids or dogs going crazy.

But, it looks like 10MP isn't enough for the OP....
11-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to know that you've tried them all, yakky. I guess I just have it in my head if I'm going to get another camera it may as well be an upgrade in megapixel..

although you do have a point, and really 10MP should be enough for my purposes. will take a look at the nikon j1