Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
$1m ?

Well, I'd like to volunteer to guide the development of a video-specific K-02, they can pay me the same fee
IIR that was the story at the time.

06-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh has stated Pentax is the 'traditional camera' brand. Ricoh is the 'new technology' brand.

Maybe to them video is new technology and their mirrorless and video offerings will have RICOH printed back and front.
06-22-2014, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
A K-02 would need to have a flippy LCD screen, we can go ahead and make it 4K and have a Prime M2 processor for processing 4K video at many different frame rates, even slow motion. And they need to make this available to everyone for a body only price of $500 no more than $599
Tiltable screen, yup. Price, yup.

But 4K,.. I'd be more inclined to go the same way as the A7s, and use an external recorder for 4K via the HDMI output.
That way would keep the price down, and would avoid the need to change to SSD or mSATA media - have the body being able to record Compressed CinemaDNG at HD and output 4K, so the body only needs SDXC cards. (Keeping h.264 as an alternative)

Sony developed the A7s in conjunction with Atomos, and Panasonic is now licensing ProRes from Atomos, if it's good enough for them,...

I'd add in-body Sensor Shift SR for those who want it, full functionality back in to the K-mount, wider range of shutter speeds and frame rates and ISO settings, including 80, 50 and 40.
Next would come user selectable data rates for the h.264 CoDec - low would be what Best is now, then add two more above that, including All-I-Frame.
And swap the audio to record at 48kHz sample rate, same as every other camera does.

And I'd dump all that in-camera post processing stuff to free up system resources. Does anyone use it?
With that gone there should be space to bring in the K5ii CoDec, at higher datarates supported by SDXC cards.

We'd also need a subroutine that detects when the SD card is too slow, and give the user the option to swap in a better card, or record footage in "K-01 Compatibility Mode".

Maybe I've thought about this a bit too much.
06-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #109
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
... dump all that in-camera post processing stuff to free up system resources. Does anyone use it?
With that gone there should be space to ...
Yes, me.

The in-camera post processing is, or at least should be, just using the JPEG routines already present for the original capture. Anyway, with all the production of electronic gizmos, the cost of memory is relatively negligible.

Otherwise, as a still image person, I'm happy to see the movie feature set improved as specified above, & elsewhere on Pentax Forums.