Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Q7 Body or Ricoh GR?

As you can see in my signature below, my Pentax kit is what one could call "rather complete." Updates come very infrequently these days because I have virtually all that I require - and then some. But over the past couple of years, I have derived great enjoyment from using some of Pentax's smaller, quirkier cameras. Which brings us to the present: Apparently Santa has provided me with the wherewithall to make one of those rare additions/updates to my kit and I am considering either upgrading my Pentax Q body to the Q7 or adding the Ricoh GR to my kit. Alas, I don't have money for a K3 or the DA 20-40mm Limited zoom.

The Q7 would normally be a no-brainer in this case but Adorama's $100 discount on the GR suddenly puts that camera into competition. I do all kinds of shooting and have been getting by with street shooting with what I have. Note: The presence of the Pentax MX-1 (purchased on close-out for only $250) is what makes this a bit complicated. It's a camera with a 1/1.7" sensor (which the Q7 offers but with interchangeable lenses) and it's a form factor that works well for street shooting (which the GR excells at but with a much larger sensor). Opinions are welcome.

12-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a K-5, K-30, K01, MX-1, Q. Hmmm

Which do you enjoy using the most?

I love my Q and Q7 but personally I would put the money I would spend on the GR towards a K-3 and maybe sell the K-5 or K-30 to make up the difference. K-3 is worth the sacrifice.
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's see here

Sell K-5
Sell either Sigma 28/1.8 or 30/1.4
Sell either 16-45 or 16-50
Sell Q
Get K-3
get free 50/1.8
Sell one 50/1.8
Buy Q7

Or don't sell the Q and just buy the GR.

Oh how I love spending other people's cash
12-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd go for the gr- it's small but it packs a dslr-sized punch

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Let's see here

Sell K-5
Sell either Sigma 28/1.8 or 30/1.4
Sell either 16-45 or 16-50
Sell Q
Get K-3
get free 50/1.8
Sell one 50/1.8
Buy Q7

Or don't sell the Q and just buy the GR.

Oh how I love spending other people's cash
Yes, it is very fun to do, isn't it?
01-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wanting a Q7 but could not get past spending that much on a camera with such a small sensor.. then I noticed the GR and realized it had a DSLR sized sensor! ordered it immediately...

My vote is get the GR......
01-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you already have the K01, you can replicate the GR with somehting like the DA15; the advantage of the K01 is you can add any lens you want. The Q7 is a great upgrade over the Q for me as IQ and speed of operation are much improved.

Dale

01-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Since you already have the K01, you can replicate the GR with somehting like the DA15; the advantage of the K01 is you can add any lens you want. - Dale
Very true. But I can't slip it into my pocket. I have to say that, while I love my Q, it's really a case of loving the idea of the Q and enjoying holding the camera. In terms of actual use, it's not small enough to be really pocketable (although with the 01 prime and no OVF it is jacket pocketable). But I can get cameras with larger sensors and better IQ at about the same size.
01-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am slightly biased having used a GR type since 2007, but I have to say that since the October firmware update (which sped up the lowlight focus time immensely for me) I have absolutely no complaints about my GR. It is always with me. Always.
02-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think if someone likes taking wide angle photos then the GR is an excellent choice. I'm hoping to add one this spring or summer.
02-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #11

I'd definitely go for the Ricoh GR. I can't say I know too much of the Q or Q7 but I have been enjoying the GR for the 5 months I have owned it.

From using the GR, I've learned that it's benefits extend beyond it's impressive technical specs. Having been used to lugging large DSLR's around, the GR has made my photography and style of shooting much more spontaneous, creative, discreet and flexible. I just feel a lot more freedom to shoot what I want when I use the GR.
02-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #12

I would get a GR - limiting lens wise, but better image quality