Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like a compact, MILC with connectivity. Compact being the key.

02-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I've been thinking more about this... We know (for pretty sure) that a FF camera is coming Real Soon Now. So, that's got to be where the emphasis is for a while. Introducing yet another new lens system... That would be a stretch, when they already have K and Q going, not to mention 645 -- which I'd actually forgotten about, shame on me! Yeah, I withdraw the suggestion.

I know that more advances in sensor technology are in the pipeline. It isn't nearly played out yet. That's why I think the Q has possibly the most growth potential.
02-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the only debate is whether or not they made the right choice with sensor size on the Q. FWIW I am more interested in the Nikon 1 system long term but the Q has its strengths and Pentax is fairly committed at this point.

But aside from that I still don't see the need for a different mount in APSC. The only way that people will be interested in a system is if it has fastish primes and zooms (not small). Even the DA15 is large enough that a camera smaller than the K-01 is unnecessary.
02-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter

The other good thing about the 1/1.7" sensor is that there are other brands using this size. That makes the installed base higher. If a sensor manufacturer is going to focus on IQ improvements they will start with what sells the most and then work their way down the popularity list to implement the improvements.

Is anyone else besides Nikon using a 1" sensor?

02-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Nikon is the only 1" sensor system out there.

I stand by my thought process that the Q system only holds value if it is tiny. Pocketable tiny. And some of the micro 4/3 stuff is pretty dang small. And Samsung.
02-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It's not an interchangeable system and it's not the same sensor but this camera has gotten some great reviews.

Sony announces Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 large sensor enthusiast compact: Digital Photography Review
02-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's interesting that not more camera makes have started to use 1" sensors. The few cameras that use those sensors have been no cheaper than APS-C cameras. So I'm guessing that the sensors themselves offer little cost advantage over APS-C at present. I also note that Nikon 1 lenses don't seem to be much smaller than APS-C lenses.

Regarding the original post, I don't think it makes much sense to see mirror less cameras as a category to themselves. Mirror less technology is something that could be applied to a camera of any size. So the question is what Ricoh should do to target the market for advanced users who want a small versatile camera. In my opinion, the GR is a good approach to this and they should extend that line.

Last edited by JPT; 02-04-2014 at 02:29 AM.
02-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

If they can put a good quality zoom on a GR style APS-C compact & still keep it affordable, sure. Expand that line.

If they can keep the Q series small & affordable & improve the image quality, it's a good offering but to an admittedly limited niche market.

02-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think Pentax should stick to K-mount, but keep developing XS lenses for mirrorless cameras. Plus it could make lenses that protrude into the mirror box - which I think was the original intent with XS lenses. This saves space, while keeping total K-mount compatibility without the need of adapters.
I really liked that original idea of lenses that protruded into the mirrorbox. It could even have guarenteed compatibility of the protruding XS lenses with Pentax DSLRs. Those DSLRs would just need to have the mirror up at default, and check what kind of lens is attached before flipping the mirror down. Seems like that ship has permanently sailed though. Imagine what could have been if they had pushed through on that concept. Pentax could have been the only one with such a system. With small protruding lenses that could make a DSLR pocketable, when desired.

What I miss in the other mirrorless solutions from the competitors is small Pentaxy primes. It's always the beercan-on-the-tiny-body. Maybe Pentax is too small to develop such a new system. And maybe they could therefore team up with an established player. Pentax making small primes available for a an existing mirrorless line, and that existing mirrorless line's mount becomming available to Pentax.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-04-2014 at 06:20 AM.
02-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I stand by my thought process that the Q system only holds value if it is tiny. Pocketable tiny. And some of the micro 4/3 stuff is pretty dang small.
The Panasonic Lumix GM1 is actually smaller than the Q7, and the GM1 is M4/3! However... Put them side by side with lenses attached and the GM1 looks funny with those (relatively) big M4/3 lenses on it. It looks like the tail wagging the dog. Even the 20mm f1.7 "normal" lens is bigger in diameter than the height of the GM1 body, so it can't sit evenly on a flat surface with that lens attached. I can't see it slipping into a pocket easily either, unless you use something like a body cap lens.
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It could even have guarenteed compatibility of the protruding XS lenses with Pentax DSLRs. Those DSLRs would just need to have the mirror up at default, and check what kind of lens is attached before flipping the mirror down.
Yes! They could add a little special switch to turn your DSLR to XS mode! I have a camera bag from some old Canon bridge P&S, but I can fit a K-r with 40mm XS in there perfectly. A small lens is key.
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Yes! They could add a little special switch to turn your DSLR to XS mode! I have a camera bag from some old Canon bridge P&S, but I can fit a K-r with 40mm XS in there perfectly. A small lens is key.
Ah yes, but if you forget the switch the protruding lens would destroy the mirror and its mechanism upon mounting. Better to have the camera have the mirror up when switched off or when lens is removed.
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Better to have the camera have the mirror up when switched off or when lens is removed.
The problem with this is that then you can't look through the viewfinder with the camera turned off. A lot of people like to compose their shot (on tripod and stuff) with the camera turned off, and then they turn it on just before taking the shot
02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian

The problem with this is that then you can't look through the viewfinder with the camera turned off. A lot of people like to compose their shot (on tripod and stuff) with the camera turned off, and then they turn it on just before taking the shot
Ok, never knew people did that... But why do they do that? Yes, that would be a problem then.
02-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

Personally, I think K-mount should remain one standard, with ifs or buts. That's why I never liked the idea of the XS lenses. I got the K-01 because any lens I bought for it would also work on my K20D and vice versa. Another small problem is that they would leave no space for a zoom and focus ring for zoom lenses.

By the way, did anyone figure out what the focal length of the prototype lens was? Looks like a wide angle. If it is a version of the 21, the size reduction is not that significant. If it's the 15, it's more impressive.