Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A detachable EVF is indeed a pain but an integrated one would be great on a mirrorless camera.

11-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
No.
Just, No.
Used them on different camera's and 95% of them suck.
Might be okay for Stills shooters who don't use the LCD much, but for us Video/Cinema types, touchscreens are a Pain In The A$#e, fingerprints everywhere.
What if the camera has good video AF and focuses on what you tap on (gently, not too abrupt)?

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 19:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
:lol, no - I'd prefer the XLR Balanced Audio to be recorded on a separate device - but decent quality on the Mic/Lin input would be a fantastic improvement.
And in this size form factor, I'd settle for HD, but the 645z should have been 4K.
And the C-Series canons make no sense - their image quality doesn't justify the massive price premium over the 5D/6D/1D bodies, and those L-series lenses are a b$%^h to live with.

I think I need to admit, just how frustrated I am, with the disparity between how good the K-01 is, and just how freaking amazing! it could have been.
The 645Z couldn't be 4K. It is a very bad sensor for video. There's no way they could read those 50 MP 30 times a second, and that's what you need for good video. They just skipped a ton of pixels to get it to do 1080p, resulting in bad quality.
11-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
What if the camera has good video AF and focuses on what you tap on (gently, not too abrupt)?

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 19:50 ----------

The 645Z couldn't be 4K. It is a very bad sensor for video. There's no way they could read those 50 MP 30 times a second, and that's what you need for good video. They just skipped a ton of pixels to get it to do 1080p, resulting in bad quality.
The Camera Store did an elaborate video testing the video on the 645z. They were disappointed but they had expected professional handling.
11-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Still No.
And no Cinematographer worth being called one would use AF.

My point on that was more about the physical dimensions of the sensor - No sensor that large (regardless of pixel count) should be wasted on HD. Same with the lens format.

11-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The Camera Store did an elaborate video testing the video on the 645z. They were disappointed but they had expected professional handling.
They were also massively disappointed by the image quality... I think the camera took the 50 MP sensor, threw 48 MP of it away, and that's it. That's how it looked like. Moire, aliasing and struggling at ISO 3200. With such a huge sensor.
11-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They were also massively disappointed by the image quality... I think the camera took the 50 MP sensor, threw 48 MP of it away, and that's it. That's how it looked like. Moire, aliasing and struggling at ISO 3200. With such a huge sensor.
Actually, they liked the 654z a lot as a still camera. That had gotten them excited about the video so they arranged a test shoot with a professional video crew - that is what disappointed them.
11-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Actually, they liked the 654z a lot as a still camera. That had gotten them excited about the video so they arranged a test shoot with a professional video crew - that is what disappointed them.
I was referring to the video quality.

11-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #38

Requesting a RAW Accurate Histogram

I like the K-3, but haven't bought one because I have a K-5 which meets most of my needs. There is one thing Pentax could do to make me want to buy a new camera. Give me the capability to display a histogram that shows what's in the RAW file. As of today, the histogram you see on the camera back reflects what's in the JPEG file. If you're shooting RAW only, the camera temporarily generates a JPEG for display purposes. I have been trying for some time to tweak my JPEG settings for the sole purpose of getting a histogram that shows me the RAW output, but I'm getting a little weary of it.

How about it, Ricoh? I'd buy a K-3ii if it had this capability. If you could add it to a K-5 firmware upgrade, that's an upgrade I would pay for.
12-06-2014, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love my Sony A6000. It has a terrific feature set--good evf, wifi, focus peaking, Fast AF, DMF mode which acts like quick shift on da* lenses, etc. What would be even better is that feature set in a K mount with Pentax internal IS. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-22-2014 at 03:07 AM.
12-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Agree a new K01 would perfectly matche limited. It would need then to have decent features:
- very good / fast / intuitive AF in all conditions
- descent sensor. Minimum is 16MP without low pass filter.
- An EVF for taking photos.
- Why not good video features even if I'll never use them... Except if we can shoot video for an unlimited time.
12-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Agree a new K01 would perfectly matche limited. It would need then to have decent features:
- very good / fast / intuitive AF in all conditions
- descent sensor. Minimum is 16MP without low pass filter.
- An EVF for taking photos.
- Why not good video features even if I'll never use them... Except if we can shoot video for an unlimited time.
Pentax barely has experience with EVF, but let's hope for the best.

As for continuous video technically it shouldn't be too much of a problem, except that in some regions of the world taxes are higher for cameras capable of recording more than say 30 minutes at a go. So camera makers tend to limit their cameras.
12-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Pentax barely has experience with EVF, but let's hope for the best.

As for continuous video technically it shouldn't be too much of a problem, except that in some regions of the world taxes are higher for cameras capable of recording more than say 30 minutes at a go. So camera makers tend to limit their cameras.
I know for the tax... But at least I could record the presentation I make with my friends once a month

As for EVF I suppose one can buy it and integrate it... and ensure one has processor fast enough for managing the refresh rate. This is just I think almost nobody would buy a K-02 without a viewfinder associated to it... While on the contrary, with a view finder + decent specs + very low weight / size this could be a success with current K-mount owners.
12-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For my wife's LX7, we bought an evf for the hot shoe (not available for the k01at all). It greatly added to the usefulness of the camera. However having it built in is a joy. Also, while many are less than thrilled with P-TTL, easy wireless flash gets more important as the camera gets smaller. I could never understand why Pentax omitted that from the K01. My flashes seldom see the camera hot shoe even on my DSLR, but mounting a big unit on a camera which will fit in a coat pocket is very awkward.
04-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Preamble:
I am a happy user of photo camera Pentax K-01. This camera gives a wide possibility in using of old lenses, because it has a stabilizer incorporated to the body and a perfect liveview magnification function for focusing. I am using it with M42 adaptor ring for different manual lenses in manual mode (M-mode). Unfortunately there are some inconvenience when I use lens which has a big diameter near a M42 screw. For example a lens Jupiter-9 (M42, 2/85 ). When this lens is installed it has a contact with an electric pins of K-mount on the camera body. As a result, K-01 thinks that native lens is connected and trying to control the aperture and tunes off magnification in liveview. Some Pentax users are using a stripe of scotch tape to make insulation between lens's body and the electric pins.

Suggestion:
It would be great if Pentax developers will make an additional feature to the Pentax cameras - manual mode without a scaning of electric pins on the K-mount, "Manual Legacy mode".
04-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #45
Veteran Member

How many still camera with a large sensor do a full sensor read on video? Even the best like GH4 and Sony A7s or A7rII don't really do a full sensor read, they do a full read on a crop...

So A7s/A7rII get more like real APSC sensor for video and GH4 get equivalent of full read on a 1" sensor...

The MF sensor are not designed for video. Reality is the circuitery and processing power to do that would be enormous and affect the still image picture quality. (less part of the sensor surface dedicated for photon gathering, heavy need for cooling down the sensor, more expensive design with lower yield rates). Even the most advanced sensor from A7R-Ii don't do it there too many photosites to do that. So either you are a manufacturer, make a business plan and ask for Sony to make you a low pixel count MF sensor like a 8MP MF one and dedicate it mostly for video and try to sell it as such to videographers... or you ask Sony for a 51, 80 or 100MP MF sensor, and try to sell it as such to photographers.

I know thar you guys video gear heard think that everything should be made first and foremost for video because of course it does cost nothing, because your client ask for it and you'll never buy a camera that doesn't do video better than any dedicated video camera, because you use it all the time and everybody and their mother need 4K (hey why not 8K ?) video on their MF camera with a clean HDMI out for the dedicated recorder plugged to it.

But this is not how things work for the moment.